Vince Gill, Lyle Lovett Announce Tour; The Gibson Brothers Salute Brother Acts; Guy Clark Documentary in the Works
Listen to The Gibson Brothers’ version of “Bye Bye Love” from their excellent forthcoming album Brotherhood, a salute to roots music’s finest brother acts. Vince Gill and Lyle Lovett are going to play a handful of East Coast shows together in late January. The Huffington Post premiered “Bossy,” a cut from JD McPherson’s next album, […]
Sam Hunt Tops Three Billboard Charts; Bradley Whitford Cast in Hank Williams Biopic; New Music Videos
Garth Brooks unveiled a new song titled “Mom” on Good Morning America last Friday. He calls it his second-favorite song he’s recorded behind “The Dance.” What do you think? The good folks over at My Kind of Country have named Garth their spotlight artist this month. Paper Angels, the made-for-television movie based on Jimmy Wayne’s book of […]
George Strait will perform at the CMA Awards next week; it will be his 24th performance on the CMAs. Next Tuesday, go get newly updated ebook versions of Peter Guralnick’s Sweet Soul Music: Rhythm & Blues and the Southern Dream of Freedom and his Sam Cooke book, Dream Boogie. The enhanced ebooks include interviews with […]
Trampled By Turtles Cover Yes; Bob Seger, Jason Aldean to Tape CMT Crossroads; Kasey Chambers Postpones Tour
Trampled By Turtles covered “Owner of a Lonely Heart” by Yes for The A.V. Club’s Undercover series. (warning: autoplay) Rob Ickes and Trey Hensley discuss their forthcoming album, Before the Sun Goes Down, in this Bluegrass Today video. The Lone Bellow will release sophomore album Then Came the Morning on January 7. Here’s the new […]
CMT Names Artists of the Year; Stream Jerry Lee Lewis, Cale Tyson Albums; 180,000 Attend World of Bluegrass
Mindy Smith reflects on One Moment More, which turns 10 this year. Yesterday The New York Times published Paul Craft’s obituary. Jerry Lee Lewis on his country music recordings: “It wasn’t necessary for me to play country. I did it because of the material. I couldn’t find good rock’n’roll songs by the late ’60s. Nobody […]
John A. Brown, one of the two men convicted in the 1973 murders of Stringbean and Estelle Akeman, has been granted parole. The Tennessean reports that Brown, who had been up for parole six times prior to yesterday’s hearing, when he appeared “before five of the seven members of the Tennessee Board of Parole. Four […]
Stagecoach Lineup Announced; Dierks Bentley, Tim McGraw to Perform at CMA Awards; New Album Releases
The 2015 Stagecoach lineup was announced yesterday. Tim McGraw, Miranda Lambert, and Blake Shelton will headline. Other acts slated to appear include Merle Haggard, John Moreland, The Band Perry, Logan Brill, and Sturgill Simpson. Check out the full lineup. John Prine’s masterful “Sam Stone” is American Songwriter’s Lyric of the Week. Johnny Vincent of The Sally Mountain […]
There’s an excellent feature on Mac Wiseman (written by Barry Mazor) in The Wall Street Journal. Marty Stuart was on NPR’s Fresh Air. Listen to his lengthy interview with Terry Gross here. Stuart on his collection of country music memorabilia and artifacts: I know we’re a Monday morning town; we create the chart every Monday […]
World of Bluegrass Returns to Raleigh; NPR Premieres Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn’s Album; New Music Videos
Stream Bela Fleck and Abigail Washburn’s new album at NPR. Courtney Patton launched a Kickstarter campaign to help raise funds for her next album (“It’s country. And it’s full of waltzes.”), which will be produced by Drew Kennedy. The Tennessean’s Cindy Watts interviewed Blake Shelton about new album Bringing Back the Sunshine. An excerpt: “When […]
Neil Young, Carrie Underwood Announce New Albums; Tootsie’s Plans Birthday Bash; Bankesters Release Video
Tootsie’s Orchid Lounge will celebrate its 54th birthday with a block party on November 12; performers at the event will include Terri Clark and Chuck Wicks. Neil Young will release a new album, Storeytone, in November. Listen to new song “Who’s Gonna Stand Up,” which Young recorded with a 92-piece orchestra. Jason Aldean got engaged […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...