Neil Young and Crazy Horse premiered six new songs at their recent Albuquerque show. On October 16, Big Machine will release a Christmas compilation album that will benefit the Special Olympics. Check out “How Do You Ruin Me,” a new song from Americana group Black Prairie. Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson have a new video for [...]
Buddy Miller & Jim Lauderdale Launch Sirius XM Show; Kenny Chesney Nets 24th No. 1 Single; Music City Roots Celebrates Guitar Night
Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale are launching their own radio show on Sirius XM’s Outlaw Country on August 4 at 10 p.m. Eastern. American Songwriter has a teaser of Lucinda Williams’ guest appearance on The Buddy & Jim Show. There’s a famous voice in this fan-assisted video of Gretchen Peters’ “Hello Cruel World.” Stream Walt [...]
The Railroad Revival Tour, where artists travel the country via 1940s train cars and play outdoor “pop-up” shows near the train tracks at each stop, is one of the neatest tours out there. Last year, the inaugural RRT featured Old Crow Medicine Show, Mumford & Sons, and Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros. This year’s [...]
Jamey Johnson’s Hank Cochran Tribute Due on Vinyl 9/25; Free Vespers Download on NoiseTrade; New Album Releases
Jamey Johnson’s Livin’ for a Song: A Tribute to Hank Cochran, featuring duet partners like Willie Nelson, Alison Krauss, and George Strait, will be released on vinyl September 25. It’ll be released on all other formats October 16. Matt Glaser, founder of the American Roots Music Program at Berklee College of Music has a new [...]
Dierks Bentley to Perform at Teachers Rock Benefit Concert; Old 97′s Celebrate Too Far to Care; Chet Flippo Talks Concept Albums
A special edition of CMT Radio Live with Cody Alan will air on over 100 stations tonight: “Kix Brooks, Sara Evans, Gloriana, Toby Keith, Reba McEntire and John Rich are among the country artists who will call in and express their thoughts for the victims. The program will also encourage listeners to donate to the [...]
This year’s Railroad Revival Tour will feature Willie Nelson, Jamey Johnson, John Reilly, and Band of Horses. Early bird tickets go on sale Friday morning. Laura Cantrell played a couple Kitty Wells songs and her original, “Kitty Wells Dresses,” for KDHX. Chuck Mead talks about the upcoming one-show reunion of BR549’s original lineup: “Like the [...]
Clear Channel and Big Machine Cut a Deal; New Willie Nelson Video; National Museum of American History Presents Civil War Music
Clear Channel and Big Machine cut a deal “that represents a major bet that radio’s future is online rather than over the air…Under the new accord, Big Machine and its artists will collect royalties when their songs are played on broadcast radio stations, something that has never been part of the U.S. royalty system but [...]
Chris Ethridge Passes Away; The Band Perry, Zac Brown Band & Kenny Chesney Join NBC Summer Concert Series; Album Releases
Chris Ethridge (Flying Burrito Brothers) passed away yesterday due to complications from pancreatic cancer. He was 65. Watch Abigail Washburn’s TED talk about building international relations with the help of a banjo. A quote from the video: “I see the power of music to connect cultures. I see it when I stand on a stage at [...]
Levon Helm passed away yesterday afternoon, surrounded by loved ones. If you missed Barry Mazor’s comment yesterday: And a report out of Meridian MS, is that Chris Ethridge of the Flying Burrito Brothers (and many country sessions) is also near death, according to Booker T. Jones, who spoke with him. Hard day. I’d met Chris in [...]
Earl Scruggs Passes Away; Jamey Johnson Salutes Hank Cochran; Mississippi Country Music Trail Honors Bob Ferguson
Earl Scruggs passed away yesterday at the age of 88. Here are obituaries from the Tennessean and New York Times, remembrances from Terry Baucom and Mac Wiseman, and a Friday Five from our archives in which we asked a few banjo players to pick their favorite Scruggs tune. A public funeral service will be held [...]
- Andrew: Ronnie Dunn has been saying on his Facebook page that he and Toby Keith are working on putting together a ...
- Daniel Mullins: Some other must-haves include Tony Rice's jazzy "Sweetheart Like You" (one of his performances on Me & My Guitar) http://www.amazon.com/Sweetheart-Like-You/dp/B005T4R5R8/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1369406119&s=dmusic&sr=1-19 Jerry Lee Lewis' ...
- Jack Williams: Buddy Miller - With God On Our Side
- Kelly D.: Love the Mount Moriah stuff and its time more people know about David Ramirez...
- Daniel Mullins: Haha. I see it in the playlist now.
- Daniel Mullins: How about The Seldom Scene's "Boots of Spanish Leather"? That one is mighty hard to beat. One of my favorite ...
- Juli Thanki: D'oh, in my undercaffeinated state, I forgot another one of my favorites, from Darrell Scott's Modern Hymns: http://www.amazon.com/Dont-Believe-Acts-Like-Never/dp/B001DAFOBG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369401978&sr=8-1&keywords=darrell+scott+i+don%27t+believe+you
- Jon: Good call on "Ring Them Bells," though.
- Jon: Now, I'll tell you what, you missed one of the very best, which is the Country Gentlemen's version of "Walking ...
- Arlene: There are so many terrific ones to choose from but with the classics by The Band and Hendrix already mentioned, ...