Toby Keith Sets Record Low for No. 1 Debut; Billboard Touring Awards Finalists; Hank Williams Reinterpreted
Kenny Chesney slipped to No. 2 on the Billboard 200 this week with his album Hemingway’s Whiskey, but for the second week in a row a country album topped the chart in its debut week. This time, it was Toby Keith‘s Bullets in the Gun with 71,000 copies sold. It’s his fourth No. 1 and […]
Siblings may not always get along, but they sure can harmonize, and when they’ve gotten together to sing, the results have often been magical. Country music has had its fair share of sibling acts–The Carter Family, The Louvins, and The Everly Brothers, to name a few–and the newest addition is The Secret Sisters. Laura and […]
Winners at last night’s Americana Honors & Awards show were: Album of the Year: The List – Rosanne Cash Artist of the Year: Ryan Bingham Duo/Group of the Year: The Avett Brothers Instrumentalist of the Year: Buddy Miller New & Emerging Artist: Hayes Carll Song of the Year: “The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)” […]
Wynonna and Naomi Judd are reuniting for a 2010 tour. Country Haiku takes the literal approach to a country classic: I have to wonder Who is gonna fill their shoes They’re like size 14 On April 20, Jason Boland will release his first album since undergoing throat surgery. The live album, titled High In The […]
The penultimate installment of our countdown may be dominated by legends like Willie Nelson, Dolly Parton, The Louvin Brothers, Loretta Lynn and Johny Cash, but it’s a husband and wife duo from down under who come up at the top of this segment, just one notch shy of the Top 10. 20. You Don’t Know […]
Jack White is scheduled to produce a forthcoming album for Wanda Jackson. Trace Adkins is the new celebrity spokesperson for BC Headache Powder. The only other country artist the company has worked with in its 100-year history is Faron Young. The title track to Jerry Lee Lewis‘ recent EP release, Mean Old Man, was written […]
Ashley Monroe has had an unlikely career so far. Signed to Sony as a teenager, she released two strong singles that went nowhere. Her debut album, Satisfied, was shelved, and she was eventually released from her contract. That spells doom for most artists, but Monroe has flourished since then: collaborating with Trent Dabbs and Brendan […]
Over the course of country music’s recorded history, there are only a handful of defining vocal moments that have permanently etched themselves onto the genre’s landscape. Few of these etchings are deeper than the one made by Oak Ridge Boys bass singer Richard Sterban, whose “ba-oom papa oom papa mow mow,” on “Elvira” (the best-selling […]
Country singers can cover rock songs with great success, like when Johnny Cash did Nick Cave’s “The Mercy Seat,” or when Dolly Parton gave “Stairway to Heaven” the bluegrass treatment. This is not one of those times. The Oak Ridge Boys’ version of White Stripes song “Seven Nation Army” (from upcoming release The Boys are […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.