Pete Seeger Passes Away; Hank Cochran Gets Mississippi Country Music Trail Marker; New Album Releases
Pete Seeger passed away yesterday at the age of 94. According to a CNN article, his grandson said that Seeger had been in the hospital for six days prior to his death and couldn’t speak for the last three days, “but his mind never went away.” The late Hank Cochran is being honored with a […]
New Kenny Rogers Record Due in October; Stream Jimmy Webb, Drive-By Truckers Albums; Dirty River Boys on Concrete Country
Stream The Drive-By Truckers’ Alabama Ass-Whuppin’, which will be re-released September 10 as well as Jimmy Webb’s Still Within the Sound of My Voice and Southern rockers J. Roddy Walston & The Business’ Essential Tremors: they come out on the 10th as well. Kenny Rogers’ You Can’t Make Old Friends will be released October 8. The […]
Bobby Hicks to Celebrate 80th Birthday with a Concert; Glen Campbell Documentary in the Works; LZ Granderson: “Randy Travis Taught Me Country”
A Glen Campbell documentary will be released later this year; a clip of the film will be shown July 25 in NYC at Music Cures, a fundraiser staged by The Kaneff Foundation for the Alzheimer’s Drug Discovery Foundation. On August 10, Reba will participate in an interview at the Country Music Hall of Fame and […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."