ACM Awards Post Biggest Ratings Since 1998; Avett Brothers to Headline Newport Folk Festival; Album Releases
The new Brad Paisley-LL Cool J collaboration, “Accidental Racist,” blew up across the internet yesterday afternoon. Here’s a USA Today interview with Paisley as well (warning: autoplay). Sunday night’s ACM Awards were watched by 15.38 million viewers, the highest ratings these awards have seen since 1998. The Avett Brothers will headline the 2013 Newport Folk Festival. Iris [...]
Library of Congress Adds to National Recording Registry; George Strait & Garth Brooks to Perform Together at ACM Awards; Iris DeMent on Mountain Stage
Here’s a fine New York Times feature on the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. An excerpt: At a time when the troubled economy is causing many museums to pull back, the hall is blasting ahead with an expansion that will more than double its size to 350,000 square feet. It has raised $71.6 [...]
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band to Release Remastered Edition of Will the Circle Be Unbroken; Kacey Musgraves’ Debut Drops 3/19; Mike Auldridge Tribute Announced
The Hank Williams Estate “is making over 200 live performance recordings directly available to movie houses, television production companies, and advertising agencies, where before these rare live recordings had never been accessible for licensing directly from the Estate.” Nitty Gritty Dirt Band’s seminal 1972 album, Will the Circle Be Unbroken, was remastered from the original [...]
Church, Johnson Top Nashville Scene Critics’ Poll; CMT Begins Next Women of Country Campaign; Corb Lund Announces Tour Dates
Jamey Johnson took home Top Album honors and Eric Church’s “Springsteen” was named the No. 1 single in the Nashville Scene Country Music Critics’ Poll. Read the list of results and comments. The Scene also published a feature on Iris DeMent. Precious Bryant passed away at the age of 71. Charley Pride, Asleep at the Wheel, and [...]
Eddie Stubbs Marks 30 Years in Broadcasting; Richard Thompson, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Announce Tour Dates; Stream Carrie Rodriguez’s New Record
George Strait kicks off his The Cowboy Rides Away Tour this Friday in Lubbock. There’s a Holly Williams EP available on NoiseTrade. Iris DeMent, Kelly Hogan, Taylor Swift, and Todd Snider are a few of the acts whose albums were in the Top 50 of the Village Voice Pazz & Jop Critics Poll. Jewly Hight [...]
More than 350 songs were on this year’s ballot. We cut the list to just our top 60, though it easily could have been a Top 100 countdown. What were your favorite songs of the past year? You can listen to a Spotify playlist of the available songs here. 60. Bucky Covington — “A Father’s [...]
It’s been a fantastic year for country and roots/Americana music, and it was no easy task for us to narrow down the list of albums released in 2012 to just a few favorites, but, after a few weeks of voting, here’s what we came up with. Honorable Mentions that missed the cut by just a [...]
Iris DeMent Discusses Songwriting; Los Lobos Celebrates 40th Anniversary; Sallie Ford & The Sound Outside Announce 2013 Tour Dates
The HillBenders got you a present: it’s a grassed-up version of “Feliz Navidad.” Jim Caligiuri chats with Mike Cooley in this Austin Chronicle feature. Blurt posted video of singer-songwriter Caleb Caudle playing his song, “Tobacco Town.” Rolling Stone is streaming a couple tracks from the deluxe version of the Nashville soundtrack. Rolling Stone also has [...]
Jana Kramer had an airplane scare yesterday. A couple of her tweets: “Terrified out of my mind. Emergency landing back in Miami without landing gear. #pray” “HOLY S**T that was NOT cool at all. Good news though. I’m on the ground. We made it. Thanks for the prayers #shaking” Songwriter Tim Johnson passed away from [...]
Rockabilly artist Nick Curran passed away at the age of 35 after a battle with oral cancer. The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Dinner and Induction Ceremony was held on Sunday night. Honorees included Mary Chapin Carpenter, Tony Arata, Larry Henley, and Kim Williams. Edward Morris recapped the event for CMT. Kellie Pickler signed with [...]
- BRUCE: Who the hell is "Pay Price"? Good grief.
- Luckyoldsun: Can't say I personally want to hear anything he's done since before the Watergate break-in--save for that duet album with ...
- Bruce: I can't access it for some reason. But I will tell you this. At 79 years of age, his voice ...
- Janice Brooks: I have the Jim Ed Brown single in rotation.
- Bruce: "People are more interesting than genres". Exactly!
- Jon: Imprecision or ambiguity might gentler terms than sloppiness, but yep, whatever you call it, there's a lot of it in ...
- Jon: "I seriously doubt that the statement “I think X” can reasonably be deemed to imply “I can’t conceive of anything ...
- Barry Mazor: Here's the current Americana chart. There are just a few--Emmylou, Rodney, Mr. Earle, Kris, Bobby Bare--who'd ever been on ...
- Barry Mazor: I think the history of radio formats is a lot sloppier than people like to make out, and here are ...
- Andrew: As the music director of a station that does play those classics right alongside the current top 40, I know ...