The anthracite mines of my home state, Pennsylvania, don’t get a lot of love in roots music, probably because most country and bluegrass artists are more familiar with Kentucky coal country, but maybe also because folks outside the state can’t pronounce “Schuylkill,” much less find something that rhymes with it. But here are five songs […]
Fundraising Stalls for Grandpa Jones Historical Marker; Seeger Fest Begins Tomorrow; Drew Kennedy to Release Live Album
Fundraising attempts to put up a historical marker at Grandpa Jones’ Kentucky birthplace have stalled. So far only $700 has been raised, but the project will cost $2,500. Dolly Parton would like to make a LGBT dance record. There’s a LeAnn Rimes dance record due out out in August, featuring remixes of songs she’s recorded […]
Irene Kelley lives up to her reputation as a stellar artist and songwriter with her latest, the rootsy, grassy Pennsylvania Coal. Quality should be no surprise, since Kelley has been in demand on Music Row for decades for her sweet, pure sound and sought-after writing skills, with cuts by artists including Carl Jackson, Ricky Skaggs, […]
This summer’s DelFest lineup has been announced. The Gibson Brothers, Sierra Hull, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn, The Duhks, Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby with Kentucky Thunder, and Hot Rize featuring Red Knuckles and The Trailblazers are just a few of the acts who’ll be playing the Memorial Day weekend festival in […]
Born and raised in Pennsylvania coal country, Irene Kelley is a gem of a singer-songwriter. On February 11, this coal miner’s granddaughter will salute her home state with Pennsylvania Coal her first new collection of original songs in more than a decade. Now based in Nashville, Kelley’s work has been recorded over the years by […]
Lately I’ve been thinking about repetition, repeatedly. See, I’ve never been one of those who can be counted on to rail against the latest alleged oncoming modern pop corruption of whatever country music has been sounding like for a while. In country, complaints about sonic invaders have always been there. But in addition, history leaves […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.