The anthracite mines of my home state, Pennsylvania, don’t get a lot of love in roots music, probably because most country and bluegrass artists are more familiar with Kentucky coal country, but maybe also because folks outside the state can’t pronounce “Schuylkill,” much less find something that rhymes with it. But here are five songs […]
Fundraising Stalls for Grandpa Jones Historical Marker; Seeger Fest Begins Tomorrow; Drew Kennedy to Release Live Album
Fundraising attempts to put up a historical marker at Grandpa Jones’ Kentucky birthplace have stalled. So far only $700 has been raised, but the project will cost $2,500. Dolly Parton would like to make a LGBT dance record. There’s a LeAnn Rimes dance record due out out in August, featuring remixes of songs she’s recorded […]
Irene Kelley lives up to her reputation as a stellar artist and songwriter with her latest, the rootsy, grassy Pennsylvania Coal. Quality should be no surprise, since Kelley has been in demand on Music Row for decades for her sweet, pure sound and sought-after writing skills, with cuts by artists including Carl Jackson, Ricky Skaggs, […]
This summer’s DelFest lineup has been announced. The Gibson Brothers, Sierra Hull, Carolina Chocolate Drops, Bela Fleck & Abigail Washburn, The Duhks, Ricky Skaggs & Bruce Hornsby with Kentucky Thunder, and Hot Rize featuring Red Knuckles and The Trailblazers are just a few of the acts who’ll be playing the Memorial Day weekend festival in […]
Born and raised in Pennsylvania coal country, Irene Kelley is a gem of a singer-songwriter. On February 11, this coal miner’s granddaughter will salute her home state with Pennsylvania Coal her first new collection of original songs in more than a decade. Now based in Nashville, Kelley’s work has been recorded over the years by […]
Lately I’ve been thinking about repetition, repeatedly. See, I’ve never been one of those who can be counted on to rail against the latest alleged oncoming modern pop corruption of whatever country music has been sounding like for a while. In country, complaints about sonic invaders have always been there. But in addition, history leaves […]
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.
- Donald: If you haven't heard...this one is a bit bizarre: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/johnny-cash-s-son-arrested-at-deer-lake-airport-after-removing-his-clothes-1.2814697?cmp=rss I think the link says almost all....