Last column, I alerted you to the new Shanachie DVD release You Are There, since released, which puts some of the hard-to-find and legitimately collected filmed performances of traditionalist country artists such as the Louvin Brothers and Sam & Kirk McGee on one disc. Those performances were culled from the 92 half hours of what […]
Vikki Sallee Passes Away; Valerie June Plays Leno; Josh Abbott Band Releases “She Will Be Free” Trailer
Singer-songwriter Vikki Sallee Dillard passed away at the age of 72. An excerpt from her obituary, written by Robert K. Oermann: Vikki Sallee began her singing career over KWHN radio in Ft. Smith, Ark. As a teen, she performed with Bob Luman and Wanda Jackson. Jackson became her mentor, and Sallee sang with the Rock […]
2013 CMA Awards Set for Nov. 6; Dailey & Vincent’s Radio Show Premieres Tonight; Stream New Austin Lucas Song
The 2013 CMA Awards will be held on November 6 and broadcast live on ABC. Country California is giving away three copies of Vince Gill and Paul Franklin’s Bakersfield. Jonathan Bernstein of American Songwriter wrote a lengthy feature on Patty Griffin that’s well worth your time. Gary Allan had knee surgery on Monday to repair a […]
We heard so many different influences on Rachel Brooke’s newest album, A Killer’s Dream, that, during our interview with the singer-songwriter, we couldn’t help but ask her to make a mini-playlist of the music she listened to the most while writing and recording the album. 5. Howlin’ Wolf, “Back Door Man” “Going into recording A Killer’s […]
UNC to Celebrate Alan Lomax; Bonnaroo Lineup Announced; Stream New Edie Brickell & Steve Martin Song
People reports that Mindy McCready was prepared to release a suicide-prevention PSA featuring “I’ll See You Yesterday,” a song that was “intended for her next album.” Following her death, her friend and the video’s director, Dan Hanks, posted it on YouTube. Listen to “When You Get to Asheville,” a cut from Steve Martin and Edie […]
Chris Thile Wins MacArthur Foundation “Genius Grant”; Stream New Darrell Scott & Tim O’Brien Album; New Releases
Chris Thile is one of the 2012 winners of a MacArthur Foundation “genius grant.” Thile is considering using the $500,000 grant to fund “a chamber music project for a bluegrass quintet.” Blake Boldt interviewed Gretchen Peters. Darrell Scott and Tim O’Brien’s live album, We’re Usually a Lot Better Than This, is streaming at American Songwriter. Zac […]
George Jones Postpones Performances Through 5/20; Bonnie Raitt to Receive AMA Lifetime Achievement Award; The Business of Johnny Cash
This September, Bonnie Raitt will receive the Americana Music Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award for Performance. George Jones has postponed all performances through May 20 as he continues to recuperate from an upper respiratory infection. More info about Nashville, the Music City “family soap” starring Connie Britton: she will play “a 40-year-old Nashville superstar named Rayna who […]
- Denise Vernon: Full moon with smell of leaves burning.
- Lisa Phillips: Love the Radio Ramblers! My favorite thing about fall is everything pumpkin.....coffee, cookies, muffins, pie.....etc!
- Sabrina Parnell: Def the cooler temps, football, great food , holidays on the way ,and of course more good country music releases.
- Debbie W: the changing colors of the leaves
- joyce King: I love FALL, the day your album Sept.25th is our wedding anniversary 46th!!! We have a fall Bean Supper, …
- Jim Sibley: I like everything about fall! MLB playoffs, football, end of hot, sticky nights, etc, etc. :-)
- Ron Mullins: Cool nights, smell of autumn and colors, and nice feeling in your heart.
- mike mills: Cool night and hunting
- Paul W Dennis: MLB playoffs and the weather here in Florida finally cooling off a little. Also we get the Palatka Bluegrass Festival …
- Tony Branscomb: Peaceful Quiet Days In The Woods Watching Wildlife Playing.