Caitlin Rose on World Cafe; Czechgrass Band Celebrates 20th Anniversary; Joe Nichols to Host ACM Honors
Dex Romweber Duo debuted their new video for “Jungle Drums.” I’ve been enjoying Country Universe’s retro single reviews. Kevin Coyne recently tackled “Amarillo By Morning.” Bluegrass blogger Ted Lehmann has filmed an extensive collection of performances. Keep an eye on his YouTube page through festival season. The Muddy Roots Festival lineup looks pretty great, with […]
Happy 91, Kitty Wells; Fanfare Follows Her Around: Taylor Swift Premieres New Video; Stream Justin Townes Earle
Kitty Wells turned 91 today! For the special premiere of her new video, Taylor Swift returned to the spot where it was shot in Kennebunkport, Maine. “We shot the video here,” she told the crowd who had gathered near the coastline. “It’s so important that we premiere it live from the place this video was […]
One of the year’s best albums to date is Hellbound Glory’s Old Highs and New Lows. As the title implies, it’s an album for Saturday night and a Sunday morning spent coming down. Most of the Reno-based band’s songs revolve around booze, pills, or the consequences of overindulging in said vices. You’d think this would […]
5. “Bend But Don’t Break” – No Justice This Oklahoma alt-country quintet offers up some important life lessons: “Bend but don’t break/Give before you take/Always look ‘em right in the eye.” Also, put your underpants on before your trousers. That’s not one of the lyrics, but I think it’s good advice. 4. “Another Bender Might […]
The Opry Lives On; Julianne Hough to Return to ‘Dancing with the Stars'; Stream Hank III’s New Album
The Tennessean‘s Cindy Watts recapped last night’s Opry show as did Chris Talbott. Galleywinter is giving away a pair of tickets to Rodney Hayden‘s songwriter festival this weekend and an autographed copy of his new album, Tavern of Poets. Country California’s C.M. Wilcox makes a case for musical comparisons. And then, in his review of […]
Johnny Gimble Remebers “Orange Blossom Special;” New Releases; Trace Adkins’ Bus Involved in Fatal Accident
Legendary fiddler Johnny Gimble humorously remembers an event that most people wouldn’t think of as funny: Even after suffering a massive stroke in 1999, Gimble found some humor in the situation. “When the doctors showed me an X-ray of my brain, they pointed to a black hole on the upper left side and told me […]
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …