Jack L. Solomon Passes Away; Americana Acts Salute Springsteen; WAMU Bluegrass Country Celebrates 47th Anniversary
Jack L. Solomon a guitarist who played with George Jones and on recordings for Dolly Parton, Ernest Tubb, Webb Pierce, Melba Montgomery (to whom he was married) and more, passed away on June 24. He was 71. The controversy surrounding Studio A and Music Row continues. Harold Bradley wrote an letter to the Metro City […]
Mandy Barnett’s decision to record an album of Don Gibson songs wasn’t necessarily her idea. It was something that the Hall of Fame songwriter himself suggested, as the two struck up a friendship in the last years of Gibson’s life. However the project came about, listeners should be glad that it happened, as I Can’t […]
There have always been some who see country music and jazz as opposite ends of the American music spectrum—one down home, emotionally straightforward and inclined towards the well-understood and safe; the other urban, sophisticated, even intellectual, and born to go off on unfettered, exploratory tangents. You could, of course, hear that opposition expressed by fans […]
Garth Brooks Announces Date for Nashville Concert; Billy Ray Cyrus Headed for Divorce; ACL to Close Studio 6A with Lyle Lovett
Garth Brooks announced this morning that he’s hosting a benefit concert for flood victims at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena on Dec. 17. “If you come to Vegas, you’ll see Garth Brooks with a guitar,” he said. “When you come to Nashville this Christmas, you’re gonna see the band that you know, you’ll see the light rig […]
Loretta Lynn Earns Lifetime Achievement Award; TIME & Billboard Lists; Toby Keith Performs at Nobel Peace Concert
Loretta Lynn, Harold Bradley, and Walter Miller will be among those honored by the Recording Academy during Grammy week. Lynn will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award and both Bradley and Miller will earn Trustees Awards. Country California’s C.M. Wilcox compared and contrasted the best of the decade lists that ran here and Country Universe. It […]
Brad Paisley has joined the performance lineup for the Grammys. Speaking of Brad, the Tennessean’s Beverly Keel reports that he’s set to begin working on an instrumental album. Charles Hughes confesses that he’s become something of a Josh Turner fan over the past couple of years and designates “Nowhere Fast”, Turner’s duet with Anthony Hamilton, […]
Sonny James, George Strait, and Harold Bradley were all inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame last November, but the ceremony for their induction wasn’t held until this past Sunday night at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Heralded by Guitar Player as the most-recorded guitarist in the world, Bradley is the […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.