Jack L. Solomon Passes Away; Americana Acts Salute Springsteen; WAMU Bluegrass Country Celebrates 47th Anniversary
Jack L. Solomon a guitarist who played with George Jones and on recordings for Dolly Parton, Ernest Tubb, Webb Pierce, Melba Montgomery (to whom he was married) and more, passed away on June 24. He was 71. The controversy surrounding Studio A and Music Row continues. Harold Bradley wrote an letter to the Metro City […]
Mandy Barnett’s decision to record an album of Don Gibson songs wasn’t necessarily her idea. It was something that the Hall of Fame songwriter himself suggested, as the two struck up a friendship in the last years of Gibson’s life. However the project came about, listeners should be glad that it happened, as I Can’t […]
There have always been some who see country music and jazz as opposite ends of the American music spectrum—one down home, emotionally straightforward and inclined towards the well-understood and safe; the other urban, sophisticated, even intellectual, and born to go off on unfettered, exploratory tangents. You could, of course, hear that opposition expressed by fans […]
Garth Brooks Announces Date for Nashville Concert; Billy Ray Cyrus Headed for Divorce; ACL to Close Studio 6A with Lyle Lovett
Garth Brooks announced this morning that he’s hosting a benefit concert for flood victims at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena on Dec. 17. “If you come to Vegas, you’ll see Garth Brooks with a guitar,” he said. “When you come to Nashville this Christmas, you’re gonna see the band that you know, you’ll see the light rig […]
Loretta Lynn Earns Lifetime Achievement Award; TIME & Billboard Lists; Toby Keith Performs at Nobel Peace Concert
Loretta Lynn, Harold Bradley, and Walter Miller will be among those honored by the Recording Academy during Grammy week. Lynn will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award and both Bradley and Miller will earn Trustees Awards. Country California’s C.M. Wilcox compared and contrasted the best of the decade lists that ran here and Country Universe. It […]
Brad Paisley has joined the performance lineup for the Grammys. Speaking of Brad, the Tennessean’s Beverly Keel reports that he’s set to begin working on an instrumental album. Charles Hughes confesses that he’s become something of a Josh Turner fan over the past couple of years and designates “Nowhere Fast”, Turner’s duet with Anthony Hamilton, […]
Sonny James, George Strait, and Harold Bradley were all inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame last November, but the ceremony for their induction wasn’t held until this past Sunday night at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum. Heralded by Guitar Player as the most-recorded guitarist in the world, Bradley is the […]
- Bobby P.: Thanks for the link to my one hit wonder article!
- Leeann: I'm glad you reviewed this album. I think your rating is what I'd give it too. It's a good album, …
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …