In 2000, O’Brien and Scott got together to record the modern classic Real Time, which showcased their deft, canny songwriting as well as their deeply honed musical vision as steeped in mountain music and bluegrass as in country and rock and roll. On last year’s collection of live performances, We’re Usually a Lot Better Than […]
Cal Smith, Jim Shumate Pass Away; Tony Brown Charged with Domestic Assault; Randy Travis Expected to Return Home
Cal Smith passed away yesterday at the age of 81. Bluegrass fiddler and former Blue Grass Boy Jim Shumate has passed away. He was 91. Tony Brown has been arrested and charged with domestic assault “resulting in bodily injury this week related to an alleged dispute that Belle Meade Police were called to in September.” […]
Ray Price Battles Sepsis; Dale Watson to Reopen Ginny’s Little Longhorn Saloon; Is Folk Music Possible Anymore?
Ray Price developed a case of sepsis while in the hospital. This post on his official Facebook page says that Price is stable for now. Here’s a video for “Blacktop,” shot at Alan Jackson’s Station Inn show. Geoffrey Himes for Paste: Is folk music even possible anymore? By “folk music,” I refer not to the […]
Americana Award Winners Announced; HoF to Extend Bakersfield Sound Exhibit; Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama & Patty Griffin Song
The winners of last night’s Americana Awards: Album of the Year: Old Yellow Moon, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Artist of the Year: Dwight Yoakam Duo/Group of the Year: Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Song of the Year: “Birmingham,” Shovels & Rope Emerging Artist: Shovels & Rope Instrumentalist of the Year: Larry Campbell Trailblazer Award: Old […]
Preview New Randy Travis Album; T Bone Burnett to Receive Maestro Award; James King Plans Sept. 30 Album Release
Old Crow Medicine Show was officially inducted into the Opry last night. If you don’t have New Year’s Eve plans, the band is scheduled to play the Ryman December 30-31. Preview Randy Travis’ new album, Influence, Vol. 1: The Man I Am. Barry Mazor writes about Americana for The Wall Street Journal. The annual awards […]
Get the story behind Curly Putnam’s Green Green Grass of Home.” Is there a sadder twist ending in country music than the one in this song? Jason Isbell performed “Flying Over Water” on Conan last night. Isbell also sang “Different Days” for CMT Edge. Here’s your first look at Carrie Underwood as Maria in The […]
Stream Del McCoury Band’s Streets of Baltimore; Memphis Music Hall of Fame Inductees Named; The Band Perry Announces World Tour Dates
Johnny Cash, Albert King, Memphis Jug Band, and Sid Selvidge are among the new inductees into the Memphis Music Hall of Fame; the induction ceremony will be held November 7. The Del McCoury Band’s Streets of Baltimore is streaming online before its September 17 release. In true McCoury fashion, it is quite good. Peter Cooper […]
Who doesn’t love a good country song about Saturday night shenanigans? Unfortunately, some of those wild nights have consequences that a Sunday morning can’t cure. 5. Paul Craft – “VD Ain’t Nothin’ to Clap About” But it is something to sing about. And you could dance along to this one, too, which seems appropriate given the etymology […]
Bankesters Offer Sneak Peek at New Album; Celebrate Louis Armstrong at Satchmo Summerfest; Is Cracker Barrel Country Music’s Starbucks?
Vince Gill and Paul Franklin talk gear with Premier Guitar. JD McPherson played a session for WEXT. Listen here. Our filmmaking pal Jeremy Dylan (remember that time we interviewed him about the Jim Lauderdale documentary?) finished a new project: a short documentary on the making of Australian country singer Jasmine Rae’s new record, If I […]
The Mavericks to Tape PBS Special; Brennen Leigh & Noel McKay to Release Duets Album in September; Della Mae Debuts New Video
Singer-songwriter Nick Nixon (he co-wrote “The Teddy Bear Song” and many others) passed away yesterday afternoon. George Jones’ gospel album, Amazing Grace, will be released September 10. Jones “recorded the gospel songs with producer Billy Sherrill in 2002 with the exception of one track, “Great Judgment Morning,” which was produced by Brian Ahern in 1994.” Out September 17: […]
- Paige: Oh damn. :( I never commented here and I haven't been listening to any music at all since Thanksgiving (it …
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …