Events and releases have conspired to put the Carter Family front and center for me through this past month. It’s not the iconic, commonly sentimentalized version of them that’s been brought into fresh focus, though—the domesticated diamonds in the rough, forever simple, down home in their Clinch Mountain “fold”— but the sometimes complicated, breathing, talented […]
Ray Price’s Beauty Is Debuts at No. 22; Billy Hawks Leaves Junior Sisk & Ramblers Choice; Song Premieres
The Pittsburgh Banjo Club sounds both fun and heartwarming. Ray Price’s posthumous release, Beauty Is…, debuted at No. 22 on the Billboard Country Albums Chart, the best debut a Price album has had since 1981′s Town & Country. (via press release) (If you haven’t read David Cantwell’s review of the album, do it now.) But […]
Beauty Is…, Ray Price’s beautiful new album, was recorded only a few months before he died—and in the weeks just following his learning definitively that he was going to. When the project was completed, the singer told Janie Price, his wife of more than forty years, that he had made it especially for her. As […]
George Strait’s Farewell Tour Grosses $72M; Carolyn Martin to Release Milton Brown Tribute Album; New Sturgill Simpson Video
Dolly Parton has a work ethic that artists half her age could learn from. At 68, her days are jam-packed doing interviews, shooting music videos, and being delightful. I am exhausted just reading about her schedule. George Strait’s farewell tour is raking in the cash, grossing more than $72 million since January 2013. A few […]
Download a Chatham County Line sampler on NoiseTrade. Here’s “Should Have Known” from the quartet’s upcoming album, Tightrope. On April 26, Nancy Jones, George’s widow, will plant two dogwood trees at the Possum’s Woodlawn Cemetery gravesite. The event is open to the public. Dom Flemons will release a solo album called Prospect Hill on July 22. (via press […]
Cowboy Jack Clement’s Last Album Due in July; NYT on the Trail of Geeshie Wiley & Elvie Thomas; New Music Videos
As was mentioned in the comments section by Juli, singer-songwriter Jesse Winchester passed away from cancer last Friday morning at the age of 69. Obituaries have been published by The New York Times, Rolling Stone, USA Today, NPR, and CMT, to name just a few. Barry Mazor reviewed The Hank Williams Reader for The Wall Street Journal. Listen […]
Omnivore to Release Hank Williams’ Garden Spot Programs; Juno Award Winners Announced; New Music Videos
The Juno Awards were held Sunday night. Brett Kissel took home the Breakthrough Artist of the Year Award, Dean Brody’s Crop Circles was named Country Album of the Year, and Justin Rutledge’s Valleyheart won the Roots & Traditional Album of the Year (Solo) Award. Out May 20 on Omnivore: Hank Williams’ The Garden Spot Programs […]
Mel Tillis is recovering after undergoing “routine heart surgery” over the weekend. USAToday.com premiered songs by Rodney Crowell (“God, I’m Missing You”) and Don Williams (“Sing Me Back Home”). Mavis Staples, Lucinda Williams, The Blind Boys of Alabama, Allen Toussaint, and more will salute Dr. John at a tribute concert scheduled for May 3 in […]
Loretta Lynn Fights House Fire (She’s Okay); The Mavericks Celebrate 25 Years with Spring Tour; Stream New Drive-By Truckers Album
There was a small fire at Loretta Lynn’s house yesterday when a lit candle fell onto a chair. Lynn sustained minor burns on her hands while using a pillow to put out the flames. Franny Beecher, guitarist for Bill Haley & His Comets, passed away on Monday at the age of 92. The Mavericks are […]
I’ve got a slew of very worthwhile new roots music material to bring to your attention in this catch-up column, some recently released and some just about to come out, and I’ll just get right at it, by the batch: African-American women really mixing it up This is one ripe season for provocative, engaging new […]
- luckyoldsun: Someone should do a feature on the current "next generation" sons-of-superstar country artists--Hank III, Shooter Jennings, Bobby Bare Jr., Dean …
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …