In Wednesday’s news, Brody covered hip-hop music critic Nathan Rabin’s latest installment of his weekly(ish) column Nashville or Bust. Before each of his weekly essays, a boilerplate-type paragraph explains this unlikely country music candidate’s mission. Starting back on March 3, Rabin decided to “spend a year immersing himself in the canon of country music, a […]
Every now and again you’ll experience the kind of heartbreak that makes you want to drown yourself. I’m not talking about the metaphorical kind of drowning of sorrows with whiskey and wine, but actual, Virginia Woolf style, rocks-in-pockets drowning. Have no fear; these five intrepid singers have been there before. So step away from the […]
In movies, country music is flashy Nudie suits, thick accents and troubled childhoods. In Nashville, it’s barrooms, cash cows and demo tapes by the dozen. In pop music circles, it’s hokey, old-fashioned and the quintessential line “I like all music…but country.” Country music can arguably be all (or none) of these things, but they still […]
Canadian singer-songwriter Corb Lund singed a deal with New West Records and plans to release a new album this fall. A tribute to steel-guitarist Don Helms will be held in Nashville on March 8 and will feature performances from Ray Price and Bobby Bare. (via Country Weekly) Dailey & Vincent scored six awards at the […]
The fifteen-disc bootleg of the so-called “Mother’s Best Flour Show” recordings has been floating around the internet for nearly a decade now, while numerous lawsuits were duked out by Hank Jr. and his half-sister Jett (the daughter Hank Sr. never knew) as the Williams estate tried to establish sole ownership of the recordings. Although the […]
- Paul W Dennis: This album is next on my must-acquire list. I remember listening to Mac on the WWVA Big Jamboree in the …
- Paul W Dennis: I don't usually agree with Luckyoldsun but he's right - "Girl In A Country Song" reeks. On the other …
- andythedrifter: "It Sure Can Get Cold In Des Moines"
- Donald: LOS, I need to second your mention of Ballad of Forty Dollars.
- Paul W Dennis: Best wishes for Jim Ed Brown - there's very few left from his generation of country singers John Morthland's article on …
- Paul W Dennis: That looks like Harold Morrison playing the dobro behind Jeannie C Riley on "Harper Valley PTA"
- luckyoldsun: Got to go with "The Ballad of Forty Dollars." Funny, if you saw the title and started listening to that song …
- Randy Prewitt: I would have to say my favorite Tom T.Hall song is "The Day Clayton Delaney Died.He has so many great …
- KathyP: "Faster Horses." Which reminds me I need to add it to my digital library.
- Leeann Ward: "Me and Jesus" and "Harper Valley PTA" are my favorites, I think. But I agree with Paul that it's not …