Radney Foster Helps Veterans; The Band Perry and Blake Shelton to Perform with Glen Campbell at Grammys; Bellamy Brothers Robbed
Here is a fine piece written by Chris Richards of the Washington Post about veterans healing through music with a little help from artists like Radney Foster and Darden Smith. Go get a free download of singer-songwriter-banjoman Kyle James Hauser’s folk-pop tune “Hopeless,” which also features cellist Ben Sollee. The Band Perry and Blake Shelton […]
This year’s ACM nominees will be announced Thursday morning via “digital press conference.” Neil Young is recording a new album with Crazy Horse. Gretchen Peters recently appeared on Imus in the Morning. She played three songs from her upcoming record Hello Cruel World. Kay West of Nashville’s City Paper wrote an interesting feature on the […]
Working as I do in both journalism and music history, from time to time I’ve had the opportunity (and also the working need, truthfully) to interview the immediate families of some of country and roots music’s most celebrated figures, sometimes getting to know them outside of that defined situation. It occurs to me again and […]
Did Patty Griffin and Robert Plant marry? Sunny Sweeney definitely got married to her longtime boyfriend in Vegas last Friday. Another love connection: Vince Gill and Miss Piggy. Here’s this week’s edition of Quotable Country. Dierks Bentley and Will Hoge will play the Ryman on February 2, just five days before Bentley’s album, Home, drops. […]
NPR on the origins of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. And on Jeff Bridges‘ new country record. And on the “new guard” of country music: most of the best-selling artists are neo-traditionalists who seamlessly integrate current styles and attitudes into classic approaches…[t]his new guard isn’t changing country so much as making the genre comfortable with the cultural […]
In yesterday’s roundup we forgot to list a new edition of Country California’s always excellent Quotable Country. Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood are returning as CMA Awards hosts. This year’s awards show will be held November 9. Rural Rhythm Records is packing up and moving from the Los Angeles area to Mt. Juliet, Tennessee. Says […]
Lady Anteblleum Leads Country Artists In Grammy Nods; Alan Jackson Fulfills Contract; Todd Snider Schedules Live Collection
As far as country artists go, Lady Antebellum came out on top during last night’s announcement of the Grammy nominees, scoring several nominations in all-genre categories. A diverse range of artists and entertainers represented the country genre though, including Zac Brown Band, Miranda Lambert, Jamey Johnson, Dailey & Vincent, Marty Stuart & Connie Smith, The […]
Merle Haggard Named Kennedy Center Honoree; Alan Jackson Celebrates Career with Release of ’34 Number Ones’
Stop the presses: Merle Haggard is one of the five 2010 Kennedy Center honorees for his “lifetime contributions to American culture through the performing arts.” The annual Honors Gala is scheduled to take place Dec. 5 and later broadcast on CBS on Dec. 28. Joey+Rory‘s Album Number Two can be streamed a week early on […]
Miranda Lambert Slates Acoustic DVD; Randy Travis Prepares Duet Album with McGraw, Chesney and Underwood
Miranda Lambert is scheduled to release a six-song acoustic performance DVD titled Revolution: Live By Candlelight on Oct. 12. Early next year, to celebrate his 25th year as a major-label artist, Randy Travis will release a new album of collaborations: “I’ve been in the studio already quite a few times at this point,” he says, […]
Prohibition ended over 70 years ago, but moonshine songs have still enjoyed a fair amount of popularity in the past decades. Narrowing it down to only 26 songs was difficult, and this month’s Top Five was pretty hotly contested here at The 9513 compound. Nevertheless, we did our best to bring you songs from a […]
- Leeann: I was disappointed to read JTE's take on country music too. I agree with the part about current country music, …
- luckyoldsun: Someone should do a feature on the current "next generation" sons-of-superstar country artists--Hank III, Shooter Jennings, Bobby Bare Jr., Dean …
- Jack: Not impressed by Justin Townes Earle's low view of country music.
- nm: Does anyone know whatever became of the album that Shelby Lynne and Allison Moorer were going to do together?
- luckyoldsun: I'm not surprised. Artists who can't get seem to get a satisfactory deal with a commercial label always say how …
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …