This year’s ACM nominees will be announced Thursday morning via “digital press conference.” Neil Young is recording a new album with Crazy Horse. Gretchen Peters recently appeared on Imus in the Morning. She played three songs from her upcoming record Hello Cruel World. Kay West of Nashville’s City Paper wrote an interesting feature on the […]
Working as I do in both journalism and music history, from time to time I’ve had the opportunity (and also the working need, truthfully) to interview the immediate families of some of country and roots music’s most celebrated figures, sometimes getting to know them outside of that defined situation. It occurs to me again and […]
Did Patty Griffin and Robert Plant marry? Sunny Sweeney definitely got married to her longtime boyfriend in Vegas last Friday. Another love connection: Vince Gill and Miss Piggy. Here’s this week’s edition of Quotable Country. Dierks Bentley and Will Hoge will play the Ryman on February 2, just five days before Bentley’s album, Home, drops. […]
NPR on the origins of Hardly Strictly Bluegrass. And on Jeff Bridges‘ new country record. And on the “new guard” of country music: most of the best-selling artists are neo-traditionalists who seamlessly integrate current styles and attitudes into classic approaches…[t]his new guard isn’t changing country so much as making the genre comfortable with the cultural […]
In yesterday’s roundup we forgot to list a new edition of Country California’s always excellent Quotable Country. Brad Paisley and Carrie Underwood are returning as CMA Awards hosts. This year’s awards show will be held November 9. Rural Rhythm Records is packing up and moving from the Los Angeles area to Mt. Juliet, Tennessee. Says […]
Lady Anteblleum Leads Country Artists In Grammy Nods; Alan Jackson Fulfills Contract; Todd Snider Schedules Live Collection
As far as country artists go, Lady Antebellum came out on top during last night’s announcement of the Grammy nominees, scoring several nominations in all-genre categories. A diverse range of artists and entertainers represented the country genre though, including Zac Brown Band, Miranda Lambert, Jamey Johnson, Dailey & Vincent, Marty Stuart & Connie Smith, The […]
Merle Haggard Named Kennedy Center Honoree; Alan Jackson Celebrates Career with Release of ’34 Number Ones’
Stop the presses: Merle Haggard is one of the five 2010 Kennedy Center honorees for his “lifetime contributions to American culture through the performing arts.” The annual Honors Gala is scheduled to take place Dec. 5 and later broadcast on CBS on Dec. 28. Joey+Rory‘s Album Number Two can be streamed a week early on […]
Miranda Lambert Slates Acoustic DVD; Randy Travis Prepares Duet Album with McGraw, Chesney and Underwood
Miranda Lambert is scheduled to release a six-song acoustic performance DVD titled Revolution: Live By Candlelight on Oct. 12. Early next year, to celebrate his 25th year as a major-label artist, Randy Travis will release a new album of collaborations: “I’ve been in the studio already quite a few times at this point,” he says, […]
Prohibition ended over 70 years ago, but moonshine songs have still enjoyed a fair amount of popularity in the past decades. Narrowing it down to only 26 songs was difficult, and this month’s Top Five was pretty hotly contested here at The 9513 compound. Nevertheless, we did our best to bring you songs from a […]
New releases for the week of September 15, 2009 include: Aaron Watson – Deep in the Heart of Texas: Aaron Watson Live Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Brad Colerick – When I’m Gone Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Charlie Daniels Band – Midnight Wind … Plus (Reissue) Amazon | Raven Records Chris Knight – Trailer […]
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.