Stream Del McCoury Band’s Streets of Baltimore; Memphis Music Hall of Fame Inductees Named; The Band Perry Announces World Tour Dates
Johnny Cash, Albert King, Memphis Jug Band, and Sid Selvidge are among the new inductees into the Memphis Music Hall of Fame; the induction ceremony will be held November 7. The Del McCoury Band’s Streets of Baltimore is streaming online before its September 17 release. In true McCoury fashion, it is quite good. Peter Cooper […]
New Kenny Rogers Record Due in October; Stream Jimmy Webb, Drive-By Truckers Albums; Dirty River Boys on Concrete Country
Stream The Drive-By Truckers’ Alabama Ass-Whuppin’, which will be re-released September 10 as well as Jimmy Webb’s Still Within the Sound of My Voice and Southern rockers J. Roddy Walston & The Business’ Essential Tremors: they come out on the 10th as well. Kenny Rogers’ You Can’t Make Old Friends will be released October 8. The […]
The last time we spoke with singer-songwriter Drew Kennedy, he’d just published his first novel, Fresh Water in the Salton Sea. Two other projects occupy his time now: a new album, Wide Listener (out September 10), and a new son – Hank. “Both were fun to make, but they’re different kinds of fun,” he laughs. Wide […]
Stream New Willie & Dolly Duet; Chris Eldridge and Julian Lage Release EP; Peter Cooper Responds to Tom Petty’s Country Criticism
Rolling Stone premiered a new Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton duet from Nelson’s forthcoming duets record. Listen to their version of “From the Moon and Back” (written for the not-so-good Parton/Queen Latifah movie Joyful Noise, it’s the song that Dolly sings while she dances with Ghost Kristofferson) here. This is not news, but you need […]
Loretta Lynn’s eldest daughter, Betty Sue Lynn, passed away from complications of emphysema. She was 64. According to a recently released report, the music industry gives Nashville a $10 billion annual boost and has helped to create and sustain more than 56,000 jobs. Peter Cooper on the Music City study: “The ‘Nashville Music Industry’ report […]
J.J. Cale, the Grammy winner who was a pioneer of the “Tulsa Sound,” passed away Friday night at the age of 74. His songs were performed/recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Waylon Jennings. The prolific Willie Nelson will release To All the Girls…, an album of duets with a stable of wonderful […]
Ray Price Finishes New Album; Bentley, McBride Raise Money for Charity; James Reams Releases Bluegrass Documentary
Guy Clark was featured on NPR’s All Things Considered. Ray Price has finished making an album. From his Facebook page: “I have, in fact, completed the CD I started working on in November, 2012. It is now in the hands of my Marketing People. I have to tell you that I am so pleased with […]
Ricky Skaggs & Sharon White Plan Duets Record; Stream Newport Folk Festival Performances; Album Releases
Lee Ann Womack tackles Paul McCartney’s “Let ‘Em In” for benefit album Let Us In Americana. Guy Clark’s on the cover of the new issue of American Songwriter. Read Marissa R. Moss’ excellent cover story. Jesse McReynolds will headline next month’s Eureka Springs Bluegrass Festival. Overall album sales dropped 4.6 percent in the first half […]
Stream Guy Clark’s My Favorite Picture of You; Canadian Country Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott Album Due in Sept.
Dean Brody, Terri Clark, and Johnny Reid are among this year’s Canadian Country Music Awards nominees. Check out the full list here. Stream Guy Clark’s fantastic new album, My Favorite Picture of You, on The Wall Street Journal Speakeasy blog. Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott’s next album, Memories & Moments, will be released September 17 […]
Randy Travis Suffers Stroke, Undergoes Surgery; JD McPherson Plays Mountain Stage; New Tony Joe White Album Due in Sept.
Randy Travis’ health issues continue. The New York Times reports that Travis suffered a stroke (a “complication of his congestive heart failure”) and underwent surgery to relieve pressure in his brain. Allen Toussaint was one of the recipients of the National Medal of Arts last night in DC. Know “Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)”? […]
- bob: @Leeann - Don Schlitz's wife Stacy is also a good singer. At some of his shows, she'll sing a song …
- Leeann: It's hardly on topic, but Don Schlitz's wife is an actual lawyer.
- Erik North: I like that list of country songs that Laura Cantrell drew up for people who are suspicious of the genre. …
- Leeann: Thank you for linking to my discussion. To clarify, they're not so much my favorite Dad songs, but rather, songs …
- Jack: "I got turned off a not so new guy’s music after he started recording songs like “Get Drunk and Be …
- A.B.: I think I understand why the eating disorder facility wants to be located there besides it being the former Cash …
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …