Brian Wright carries the weight of the many chains that have bound him in the past and out of which he breaks on this new album, shaking those iron fetters like Marley’s ghost come to call us to the blues of future past with a vision of the specters that haunt our lives: death, misdirected […]
Stream Del McCoury Band’s Streets of Baltimore; Memphis Music Hall of Fame Inductees Named; The Band Perry Announces World Tour Dates
Johnny Cash, Albert King, Memphis Jug Band, and Sid Selvidge are among the new inductees into the Memphis Music Hall of Fame; the induction ceremony will be held November 7. The Del McCoury Band’s Streets of Baltimore is streaming online before its September 17 release. In true McCoury fashion, it is quite good. Peter Cooper […]
New Kenny Rogers Record Due in October; Stream Jimmy Webb, Drive-By Truckers Albums; Dirty River Boys on Concrete Country
Stream The Drive-By Truckers’ Alabama Ass-Whuppin’, which will be re-released September 10 as well as Jimmy Webb’s Still Within the Sound of My Voice and Southern rockers J. Roddy Walston & The Business’ Essential Tremors: they come out on the 10th as well. Kenny Rogers’ You Can’t Make Old Friends will be released October 8. The […]
The last time we spoke with singer-songwriter Drew Kennedy, he’d just published his first novel, Fresh Water in the Salton Sea. Two other projects occupy his time now: a new album, Wide Listener (out September 10), and a new son – Hank. “Both were fun to make, but they’re different kinds of fun,” he laughs. Wide […]
Stream New Willie & Dolly Duet; Chris Eldridge and Julian Lage Release EP; Peter Cooper Responds to Tom Petty’s Country Criticism
Rolling Stone premiered a new Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton duet from Nelson’s forthcoming duets record. Listen to their version of “From the Moon and Back” (written for the not-so-good Parton/Queen Latifah movie Joyful Noise, it’s the song that Dolly sings while she dances with Ghost Kristofferson) here. This is not news, but you need […]
Loretta Lynn’s eldest daughter, Betty Sue Lynn, passed away from complications of emphysema. She was 64. According to a recently released report, the music industry gives Nashville a $10 billion annual boost and has helped to create and sustain more than 56,000 jobs. Peter Cooper on the Music City study: “The ‘Nashville Music Industry’ report […]
J.J. Cale, the Grammy winner who was a pioneer of the “Tulsa Sound,” passed away Friday night at the age of 74. His songs were performed/recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Waylon Jennings. The prolific Willie Nelson will release To All the Girls…, an album of duets with a stable of wonderful […]
Ray Price Finishes New Album; Bentley, McBride Raise Money for Charity; James Reams Releases Bluegrass Documentary
Guy Clark was featured on NPR’s All Things Considered. Ray Price has finished making an album. From his Facebook page: “I have, in fact, completed the CD I started working on in November, 2012. It is now in the hands of my Marketing People. I have to tell you that I am so pleased with […]
Ricky Skaggs & Sharon White Plan Duets Record; Stream Newport Folk Festival Performances; Album Releases
Lee Ann Womack tackles Paul McCartney’s “Let ‘Em In” for benefit album Let Us In Americana. Guy Clark’s on the cover of the new issue of American Songwriter. Read Marissa R. Moss’ excellent cover story. Jesse McReynolds will headline next month’s Eureka Springs Bluegrass Festival. Overall album sales dropped 4.6 percent in the first half […]
Stream Guy Clark’s My Favorite Picture of You; Canadian Country Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott Album Due in Sept.
Dean Brody, Terri Clark, and Johnny Reid are among this year’s Canadian Country Music Awards nominees. Check out the full list here. Stream Guy Clark’s fantastic new album, My Favorite Picture of You, on The Wall Street Journal Speakeasy blog. Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott’s next album, Memories & Moments, will be released September 17 […]
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.