Country Stars Remember Kitty Wells; New Little Big Town Album Due in September; Punch Brothers Announce New Tour Dates
Loretta Lynn, Barbara Mandrell, Dolly Parton, and Lee Ann Womack all made statements about Kitty Wells’ passing. Janis Martin’s final album, The Blanco Sessions, will be released on September 18. The album, produced by Rosie Flores and Bobby Trimble, was funded through Kickstarter. (via press release) Punch Brothers announced a bunch of new North American [...]
Susanna Clark, songwriter, artist, and wife of Guy Clark, passed away at the age of 73. Here’s a lovely remembrance from Terry Roland posted on No Depression. Iris DeMent talks about her new album, Sing the Delta (out Oct. 2), with Billboard, where you can also hear the title track. Kenny Chesney’s Welcome to the Fishbowl [...]
After album after album of simple, intelligent country music that stands the test of time, it would be easy to phone in a review of the latest Alan Jackson record. It’ll be authentic. It’ll be spare, but heavy on the steel guitar. It’ll have a handful of self-penned songs that speak to his roles as [...]
George Lindsey passed away on Sunday at the age of 83. Lindsey was best known for his portrayal of Goober Pyle on The Andy Griffith Show and Hee Haw. Jake Owen was arrested in his hometown of Vero Beach, Florida on Cinco de Mayo: “You give a guy a gun and a badge and he [...]
Second Edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music Published; Boxcars Ready New Album; Evolution of the Outlaw
The second edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music was published this week. In this piece penned by Jewly Hight for the Nashville Scene, Dierks Bentley reflects on his arrival in Nashville as a teenager: “I was so green. But I still moved here anyway, because I was so drawn to this town and country [...]
Merle Haggard to Play Ryman in 2012; Free Music From Bloodshot; Dixie Chicks Giveaway Winner Announced
Merle Haggard is slated to play a show at the Ryman next April. Tickets went on sale this morning. Jason Isbell played a few songs for KEXP. Bloodshot Records is giving out a free sampler highlighting their 2011 releases from artists like Paul Burch, Andre Williams, Scott H. Biram, and more. Chet Flippo’s Nashville Skyline [...]
Garth and Trisha Help Build Homes in Haiti; Banjo Bonanza on Tonight’s Letterman; Buddy Holly’s Nashville Legacy
Jewly Hight penned a nice feature on Guy Clark for the Nashville Scene. For the fashionistas: LeAnn Rimes and Laura Bell Bundy got Fugged for their CMA Awards dresses (or, in Bundy’s case, her “BeDazzled underpants,”) but the fashion bloggers gave Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban a thumbs up. You can vote on Carrie Underwood’s [...]
We’ll be live-blogging the CMA Awards starting at 8pm Eastern. Stop by if you can, and cross your fingers that the server holds up. (If it doesn’t, we’ll head over to Twitter—you don’t have to have a Twitter account to read our tweets.) Jim Lauderdale, Seth Avett, Hillary Scott, and others took home SESAC Nashville [...]
Frank Liddell to Produce Lee Ann Womack’s New Record; Whitey Morgan & The 78s to Record Live Album; New Releases
Lee Ann Womack’s husband, Frank Liddell, will produce her new album, which will be released some time in 2012. The newest Quotable Country features Mac McAnally, Caitlin Rose, Jimmy Wayne, and more. Barry Mazor had a talk with Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson for a feature in the Wall Street Journal. Speaking of Clark, he’s [...]
Guy Clark’s birthday is definitely a cause for celebration, especially a landmark one like his 70th, coming on November 6. For most of his adult life, Clark has demonstrated why he’s considered one of the premier songwriters around. Whether it’s his earlier classics like “Desperados Waiting for a Train” or more recent fare like “Dublin [...]
- Luckyoldsun: Amazing One, " “Given credit as the ‘artist” by who? " Um, by the movie studio, by the critics, by the Academy. It's ...
- Jon: Well, that's just gibberish. When Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald sang on the silver screen, they were the artists ...
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for straightening me out LuckyOlSunbody. "Given credit as the 'artist" by who? Take it up with the Screen Actors ...
- Luckyoldsun: Barry: As far as the comparison to movies: The person who's given credit as the "artist" of a movie is the director--not ...
- Jon: I've got to say, I think "Lots More Blues, Rags, and Hollers" was a better record.
- Janice Brooks: As for new releases, I love the new Don Rigsby and Mike Scott. Will also dig up a cut of ...
- Barry Mazor: Look, one sort of music reporting/reviewing I like to do best is reporting on live performance, the interaction with the ...
- nm: That's probably why I generally don't watch music on a screen in my home, except for films of live shows. ...
- Jon: If you are watching music on a screen in your home, you're not going out to a show, are you? ...
- nm: I don't think the problem with lip-synching (for me as a member of the audience at a live event) is ...