Grady Smith of Entertainment Weekly put together a video detailing Why Country Music Was Awful in 2013. Says Smith, “I was inspired to make this supercut after posting my 10 Best Country Albums of 2013 list for EW. A few commenters told me that my choices weren’t mainstream enough, and I thought, “Well, yeah, because […]
Grammy Nominees Named; Ray Price in Final Stages of Cancer; Bluegrass Underground Announces Fourth Season Lineup
The country/bluegrass/Americana/folk Grammy nominees are: Best Country Solo Performance “I Drive Your Truck” — Lee Brice “I Want Crazy” — Hunter Hayes “Mama’s Broken Heart” — Miranda Lambert “Wagon Wheel” — Darius Rucker “Mine Would Be You” — Blake Shelton Best Country Duo/Group Performance “From This Valley” — The Civil Wars “Don’t Rush” — Kelly […]
John Prine: It Took Me Years to Get These Souvenirs will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum on November 15. The spotlight exhibit is scheduled to run through May 2014. Kristin Sanders (niece of songwriter Mark D. Sanders) in The Guardian: The Watermelon Queen, Bobbie Joe Gentry, Liza Jane, Fancy: these […]
Brian Wright carries the weight of the many chains that have bound him in the past and out of which he breaks on this new album, shaking those iron fetters like Marley’s ghost come to call us to the blues of future past with a vision of the specters that haunt our lives: death, misdirected […]
Stream Del McCoury Band’s Streets of Baltimore; Memphis Music Hall of Fame Inductees Named; The Band Perry Announces World Tour Dates
Johnny Cash, Albert King, Memphis Jug Band, and Sid Selvidge are among the new inductees into the Memphis Music Hall of Fame; the induction ceremony will be held November 7. The Del McCoury Band’s Streets of Baltimore is streaming online before its September 17 release. In true McCoury fashion, it is quite good. Peter Cooper […]
New Kenny Rogers Record Due in October; Stream Jimmy Webb, Drive-By Truckers Albums; Dirty River Boys on Concrete Country
Stream The Drive-By Truckers’ Alabama Ass-Whuppin’, which will be re-released September 10 as well as Jimmy Webb’s Still Within the Sound of My Voice and Southern rockers J. Roddy Walston & The Business’ Essential Tremors: they come out on the 10th as well. Kenny Rogers’ You Can’t Make Old Friends will be released October 8. The […]
The last time we spoke with singer-songwriter Drew Kennedy, he’d just published his first novel, Fresh Water in the Salton Sea. Two other projects occupy his time now: a new album, Wide Listener (out September 10), and a new son – Hank. “Both were fun to make, but they’re different kinds of fun,” he laughs. Wide […]
Stream New Willie & Dolly Duet; Chris Eldridge and Julian Lage Release EP; Peter Cooper Responds to Tom Petty’s Country Criticism
Rolling Stone premiered a new Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton duet from Nelson’s forthcoming duets record. Listen to their version of “From the Moon and Back” (written for the not-so-good Parton/Queen Latifah movie Joyful Noise, it’s the song that Dolly sings while she dances with Ghost Kristofferson) here. This is not news, but you need […]
Loretta Lynn’s eldest daughter, Betty Sue Lynn, passed away from complications of emphysema. She was 64. According to a recently released report, the music industry gives Nashville a $10 billion annual boost and has helped to create and sustain more than 56,000 jobs. Peter Cooper on the Music City study: “The ‘Nashville Music Industry’ report […]
J.J. Cale, the Grammy winner who was a pioneer of the “Tulsa Sound,” passed away Friday night at the age of 74. His songs were performed/recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Waylon Jennings. The prolific Willie Nelson will release To All the Girls…, an album of duets with a stable of wonderful […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...