Fundraising Stalls for Grandpa Jones Historical Marker; Seeger Fest Begins Tomorrow; Drew Kennedy to Release Live Album
Fundraising attempts to put up a historical marker at Grandpa Jones’ Kentucky birthplace have stalled. So far only $700 has been raised, but the project will cost $2,500. Dolly Parton would like to make a LGBT dance record. There’s a LeAnn Rimes dance record due out out in August, featuring remixes of songs she’s recorded […]
I’ve got a slew of very worthwhile new roots music material to bring to your attention in this catch-up column, some recently released and some just about to come out, and I’ll just get right at it, by the batch: African-American women really mixing it up This is one ripe season for provocative, engaging new […]
Stream Howlin’ Brothers, Brandy Clark Albums; Strait, Jackson to Salute George Jones at CMA Awards; New Releases
Jeffrey Steele, Randy Owen, Will Jennings, and Layng Martine Jr. were inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame on Sunday. Grandpa Jones would be celebrating his 100th birthday this Sunday. Peter Cooper wrote a fine feature on the Country Music Hall of Famer; consider it mandatory reading. Brandy Clark’s 12 Stories is streaming at […]
Louisville’s been a popular song topic for many country artists, whether they use it as the title of an instrumental (Bill Monroe’s “Louisville Breakdown”), sing about the Kentucky Derby, or pay tribute to one of the city’s finest products (several songs mention a good ol’ Louisville Slugger). And let’s not forget that the grisly “Banks […]
It troubles me no end that the artistry of Merle Travis has been lost in the sands of time. It troubles me, but does not surprise me, as Travis–the victim of changing tastes and a lifelong battle with John Barleycorn–had largely disappeared from the airwaves by the time I started really following country music in […]
Winners at last night’s Americana Honors & Awards show were: Album of the Year: The List – Rosanne Cash Artist of the Year: Ryan Bingham Duo/Group of the Year: The Avett Brothers Instrumentalist of the Year: Buddy Miller New & Emerging Artist: Hayes Carll Song of the Year: “The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)” […]
Americana Awards Nominees Announced; Shelby Lynne Free At Last; Blake Shelton Celebrates “Hillbilly Bone”
Nominees for the 9th annual Americana Honors & Awards show were announced a couple of days ago. Blake Shelton talked about his latest hit at the No. 1 party for “Hillbilly Bone” on Wednesday: “To be honest with y’all, it’s tough enough to go do interviews with people like Chelsea [Handler] and talk about a […]
It’s February and reminders of Valentine’s Day are everywhere. Sure, having that special someone is nice, but when times get bad, the only one who will always stand by you is your dog. So we’re going to pay tribute to them this month. There was quite a library of songs to choose from, so we […]
Prohibition ended over 70 years ago, but moonshine songs have still enjoyed a fair amount of popularity in the past decades. Narrowing it down to only 26 songs was difficult, and this month’s Top Five was pretty hotly contested here at The 9513 compound. Nevertheless, we did our best to bring you songs from a […]
- luckyoldsun: MH-- "...divisive, dismissive and argumentative." There's a shock. Who'da thunk it.
- MH: Looks like the IBMA is finding out what a lot of us already knew about former & frequent Engine 145 …
- Tom: ...it is almost the year 2015 - ain't it about time we leave people (celebrities included) having the personal relations …
- Paul W Dennis: I had assumed that Herndon was gay after the incident that Lucky Old Sun referenced, but bought the next Herndon …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: For anyone who wants to buy it, the Rosanne Cash 45 is available again. With 1000 copies being created, I …
- luckyoldsun: It seemed that the old morals arrest incident really did Herndon in. He was a pretty big country star before …
- CraigR.: Hopefully in the future being gay or straight won't matter at all. And then people won't have to hide their …
- Bruce: Jim has a remarkable voice for his age. Heck, for any age.
- bob: Good luck to Herndon and Gilman. I've seen Herndon in concert. While I liked his 90's material better, he's still …
- Leeann Ward: It was Brad Paisley and its on his Christmas album.