“Coat of Many Colors” Selected for National Recording Registry; Rhonda Vincent to Release Live Gospel Album; Free ATO Records Sampler
Dolly Parton’s “Coat of Many Colors” will be inducted into the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry. T-Model Ford has been hospitalized after suffering a stroke. Saving Country Music has information on where to donate to help with Ford’s expenses. Due out July 10: new Hank Jr. record Old School, New Rules. The album will […]
Old Crow Medicine Show Announces New Album and Tour; Donna Summer’s Country Connection; Gram Parsons’ Musical Legacy
Peter Cooper wrote a fine obituary for Doug Dillard. On July 17, Old Crow Medicine Show will release new album Carry Me Back, their first studio album since 2008’s Tennessee Pusher. They’ve also announced new summer tour dates. Country Universe’s Kevin Coyne takes a look at Donna Summer’s country connections. Gloriana will perform on Monday night’s […]
Love has been in the air recently among the world of country music. Jake Owen recently said “I do.” Carter’s Chord member Becky Robertson just got married last weekend. Lady Antebellum’s Dave Haywood got married just a couple weeks back, Lee Brice got engaged, and LeAnn Rimes renewed her vows on her first anniversary. Depending […]
Pulling off a musical biography well is not easy. Trust me; I’m spending much of my own time these days working on one, (on roots music A&R and publishing pioneer Ralph Peer). From short profile articles to full-length books, there are questions for the writer—focus, depth, audience, and how to go about it. I have […]
Country Music at the White House; AMA Festival Sets Attendance Record; The Mountain Music Project Links Appalachia and Nepal
Country music will be played at the 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue on Monday, November 21, as Kris Kristofferson, Alison Krauss, Dierks Bentley, Lyle Lovett and others sing as part of the “Performance at the White House” series. The hour-long program premieres on PBS 11/23; check local listings. Rodney Atkins will perform at the National Christmas Tree […]
At this year’s Americana Music Association’s Fest and Conference, staged mid-month here in Nashville, there were plenty of convincing signs that the Americana field and format has finally come of age, and in a healthy and forward-looking way—sixteen years since it was first identified and promoted to radio, twelve since the AMA was founded, and […]
Today is Maryland Day, a celebration of the day back in 1634 that settlers first stepped foot onto what would become Maryland soil. Several country singers have paid tribute to various aspects of the state over the years; here are five of my favorite songs about the city of Baltimore. 5. “Baltimore Johnny” – The […]
Del McCoury Band Teams Up with Preservation Hall Jazz Band; Pickup Lines In Country Music; Ralph Stanley Video Liner
The Del McCoury Band is teaming up with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band for a new album and tour. (via @jonweisberger) NashvilleGab highlighted a comment made by entertainment reporter Jimmy Carter about all of Miranda Lambert‘s nominations: Entertainment reporter, Jimmy Carter tells WKKT that an inside source told him that Miranda Lambert got 7 noms […]
Alison Krauss Schedules New Album; ‘Garden & Gun’ Covers Bluegrass; Lost Highway Celebrates 10 Years
On April 12, Alison Krauss will release a new album with Union Station titled Paper Airplane. Zac Brown isn’t sure why music has to be categorized: “I don’t know why everybody wants to put everything in a box. It’s almost like profiling.” If you want to define the Zac Brown Band musically, you’d be better […]
Add Joe Diffie to the list of country stars who have released cookbooks in recent years. Carrie Rodriguez teamed up with Romantica’s Ben Kyle for a collection of six classic country songs and two originals. The project, titled We Still Love Our Country, is scheduled for a Feb. 1 release, but it can be ordered/downloaded […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.