T-Model Ford Passes Away; David Nail, Westbound Rangers Release New Videos; What’s Up with Gibson Banjos?
T-Model Ford passed away yesterday. The influential bluesman was in his 90s and had been battling health issues for several years after suffering a series of strokes in 2010. Listen to a KEXP session Ford recorded in 2008. Emmylou Harris’ “Boulder to Birmingham” and Charlie Louvin’s “Ira” made The A.V. Club’s list of “songs that directly […]
Okay, okay; so we all know country songs often tells sad tales about broken hearts, shattered love, missed opportunities, tears on our pillows, and the ache of the memory of the lover that got away. Tender pedal steel breaks imitate our the aching beauty of our forlorn hearts; jagged lead guitars remind us of our […]
HoF to Open Nashville Spotlight Exhibit; Terry Baucom Offers Free Song Download; MerleFest Launches Smartphone App
A spotlight exhibit dedicated to the show Nashville will open at the Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum on April 5 and run through October 31. Check out the album art and track listing for George Strait’s Love is Everything (out May 14). Here’s Buddy Miller and Jim Lauderdale playing “I Lost My Job […]
Steve Martin & Edie Brickell Team Up; Stream First Song from The Hillbilly Killers; New Album Releases
Give a listen to “They Call Us The Hillbilly Killers,” the first song from, naturally, The Hillbilly Killers (Catherine Britt, Bill Chambers, Tim Rogers, Shane O’Mara, James Gillard, and Michael Muchow). MusicRow.com posted a recap of 2012’s music sales: Some writers will try to put a positive spin on the year by saying that overall […]
Making year-end lists of best books is an exercise at once exciting and frustrating. Listing the best books of the year helps recall fondly those great books that revealed new information about an artist or his or her music or drives you to pick a again a book that you didn’t want to end the […]
Thanks for being patient while Sandy threw the site out of whack for a few days. If you have a few bucks to spare, there are many worthwhile charitable organizations, including the Red Cross, helping those affected. If you want to help save some vinyl, Norton Records, whose warehouse was flooded by the hurricane, could […]
Kix Brooks to Host Overnight Radio Show; Bankesters Premiere New Video; How Does Americana Stay True?
Wall Street Journal music critic Jim Fusilli wrote a fine article called “How Americana Stays True.” An excerpt: Will the Americana movement succumb to the temptation to dumb down, or gloss up, its music to appeal to a wider audience? It seems unlikely. The AMA’s 1,600 members, many of whom are Americana musicians, control its […]
Rodney Crowell shared some information about his upcoming duets record with Emmylou Harris: “Old Yellow Moon, the Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell duet album produced by Brian Ahern is finally finished. I want to give everybody a heads up to watch for Nonesuch Records official release date which I expect they will announce sometime very soon. […]
Songwriter Hal David passed away. What’s your favorite song that he wrote or co-wrote? Peter Cooper wrote an article on Marty Stuart, who is celebrating 40 years in the music business, for the Tennessean. An excerpt: Stuart’s chart run as a 1990s country hit-maker was enough to put his name in bold print in the […]
HoF Unveils Minnie Pearl Exhibit; Free Time Jumpers Download; Stream Radney Foster’s Del Rio, TX Revisited
Today, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will unveil Minnie Pearl: Centennial Celebration, a spotlight exhibit that will run through August 2013. New York City is the capital of country music in spite of the fact that it hasn’t had a country station in over fifteen years, writes Jim Farber in this New […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.