Making year-end lists of best books is an exercise at once exciting and frustrating. Listing the best books of the year helps recall fondly those great books that revealed new information about an artist or his or her music or drives you to pick a again a book that you didn’t want to end the […]
Thanks for being patient while Sandy threw the site out of whack for a few days. If you have a few bucks to spare, there are many worthwhile charitable organizations, including the Red Cross, helping those affected. If you want to help save some vinyl, Norton Records, whose warehouse was flooded by the hurricane, could […]
Kix Brooks to Host Overnight Radio Show; Bankesters Premiere New Video; How Does Americana Stay True?
Wall Street Journal music critic Jim Fusilli wrote a fine article called “How Americana Stays True.” An excerpt: Will the Americana movement succumb to the temptation to dumb down, or gloss up, its music to appeal to a wider audience? It seems unlikely. The AMA’s 1,600 members, many of whom are Americana musicians, control its […]
Rodney Crowell shared some information about his upcoming duets record with Emmylou Harris: “Old Yellow Moon, the Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell duet album produced by Brian Ahern is finally finished. I want to give everybody a heads up to watch for Nonesuch Records official release date which I expect they will announce sometime very soon. […]
Songwriter Hal David passed away. What’s your favorite song that he wrote or co-wrote? Peter Cooper wrote an article on Marty Stuart, who is celebrating 40 years in the music business, for the Tennessean. An excerpt: Stuart’s chart run as a 1990s country hit-maker was enough to put his name in bold print in the […]
HoF Unveils Minnie Pearl Exhibit; Free Time Jumpers Download; Stream Radney Foster’s Del Rio, TX Revisited
Today, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will unveil Minnie Pearl: Centennial Celebration, a spotlight exhibit that will run through August 2013. New York City is the capital of country music in spite of the fact that it hasn’t had a country station in over fifteen years, writes Jim Farber in this New […]
“Coat of Many Colors” Selected for National Recording Registry; Rhonda Vincent to Release Live Gospel Album; Free ATO Records Sampler
Dolly Parton’s “Coat of Many Colors” will be inducted into the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry. T-Model Ford has been hospitalized after suffering a stroke. Saving Country Music has information on where to donate to help with Ford’s expenses. Due out July 10: new Hank Jr. record Old School, New Rules. The album will […]
Old Crow Medicine Show Announces New Album and Tour; Donna Summer’s Country Connection; Gram Parsons’ Musical Legacy
Peter Cooper wrote a fine obituary for Doug Dillard. On July 17, Old Crow Medicine Show will release new album Carry Me Back, their first studio album since 2008’s Tennessee Pusher. They’ve also announced new summer tour dates. Country Universe’s Kevin Coyne takes a look at Donna Summer’s country connections. Gloriana will perform on Monday night’s […]
Love has been in the air recently among the world of country music. Jake Owen recently said “I do.” Carter’s Chord member Becky Robertson just got married last weekend. Lady Antebellum’s Dave Haywood got married just a couple weeks back, Lee Brice got engaged, and LeAnn Rimes renewed her vows on her first anniversary. Depending […]
Pulling off a musical biography well is not easy. Trust me; I’m spending much of my own time these days working on one, (on roots music A&R and publishing pioneer Ralph Peer). From short profile articles to full-length books, there are questions for the writer—focus, depth, audience, and how to go about it. I have […]
- Leeann Ward: I'll just go ahead and say it. I was impressed with how well Carrie did with the singing. I'm a …
- TexasVet: From MusicRow: Underwood’s ‘The Sound of Music Live!’ Brings In 19.3 Million Viewers earned NBC its biggest audience on the night …
- nm: I'd love to see a version of TSoM that managed to sneak in a new number or two based on …
- Barry Mazor: That any version of "Sound of Music" would be "trying to replace the cats of the movie" is an hysterically …
- TexasVet: The Von Trapps had some stinging comments concerning Underwood’s “Spound of Music” part. I think they pose some legitimate …
- tncheesehead: reading the story behind the Paisley/Underwood lawsuit I would guess that yes the idea was stolen - too many coincidences …
- BRUCE: Interesting lawsuit against Paisley & Underwood plus Sony. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. The Von Trapps …
- Country fan: Hunter is very good, I wish he would do some traditional country music.
- Luckyoldsun: Well, Hunter plays a mean accordion on Jambalaya!
- Country fan: Merle is one of the greatest talents in music.