It’s that time of year again when we’re making our lists and checking them twice to find out which books have been good enough this year to stuff your and your families’ and friends’ stockings. Making such lists always presents a challenge since hundreds of books about music, musicians, or the making of individual albums […]
Black River Signs Clear Channel Partnership; Sammy Kershaw Re-Records Hits; Stream Skaggs’ Soldier Song
Graham Nash was recently interviewed by NPR’s Terry Gross. Listen here. Stream Ricky Skaggs’ take on “Two Soldiers” from upcoming Civil War compilation Divided & United. Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Tim McGraw, Florida Georgia Line, and Hunter Hayes have been named the CMT Artists of the Year. They’ll be honored during a live, 90-minute television […]
Barry Gibb made his Grand Ole Opry debut this past Friday night. “I have dreamed of performing on the hallowed stage of the Opry since I was 12 years old. So this is a dream come true for me,” Gibb was quoted as saying. “There is no greater honor.” He and Ricky Skaggs played “When […]
Two decades after his last solo record, Joe Walsh utilizes the opportunity to reflect a little on where he’s been on new album Analog Man. For the casual fan, Walsh is easily best known for his slide guitar work and occasional vocals with the mega-huge band, the Eagles. His distinctive style of singing at the top […]
Music Exec Donna Hilley Passes Away; Trisha Yearwood’s Cooking Show Renewed for Second Season; Tift Merritt Signs with Yep Roc
Retired music executive Donna Hilley passed away yesterday: Ms. Hilley, born in Birmingham, Ala., worked at Nashville radio station WKDA and at a public relations firm before joining music publisher Tree in 1973. She became Tree’s vice president and chief operating officer in 1978 and arranged Tree’s sale to CBA (which later became Sony Music […]
At some level, it has always been about the road for Timothy B. Schmit. Before travelling uncountable highway miles playing bass in the country-rock band Poco for nearly a decade, and before charting courses around the world as a member of The Eagles, it was about chasing the song on tires. For this Rock and […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."