It’s that time of year again when we’re making our lists and checking them twice to find out which books have been good enough this year to stuff your and your families’ and friends’ stockings. Making such lists always presents a challenge since hundreds of books about music, musicians, or the making of individual albums […]
Black River Signs Clear Channel Partnership; Sammy Kershaw Re-Records Hits; Stream Skaggs’ Soldier Song
Graham Nash was recently interviewed by NPR’s Terry Gross. Listen here. Stream Ricky Skaggs’ take on “Two Soldiers” from upcoming Civil War compilation Divided & United. Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Tim McGraw, Florida Georgia Line, and Hunter Hayes have been named the CMT Artists of the Year. They’ll be honored during a live, 90-minute television […]
Barry Gibb made his Grand Ole Opry debut this past Friday night. “I have dreamed of performing on the hallowed stage of the Opry since I was 12 years old. So this is a dream come true for me,” Gibb was quoted as saying. “There is no greater honor.” He and Ricky Skaggs played “When […]
Two decades after his last solo record, Joe Walsh utilizes the opportunity to reflect a little on where he’s been on new album Analog Man. For the casual fan, Walsh is easily best known for his slide guitar work and occasional vocals with the mega-huge band, the Eagles. His distinctive style of singing at the top […]
Music Exec Donna Hilley Passes Away; Trisha Yearwood’s Cooking Show Renewed for Second Season; Tift Merritt Signs with Yep Roc
Retired music executive Donna Hilley passed away yesterday: Ms. Hilley, born in Birmingham, Ala., worked at Nashville radio station WKDA and at a public relations firm before joining music publisher Tree in 1973. She became Tree’s vice president and chief operating officer in 1978 and arranged Tree’s sale to CBA (which later became Sony Music […]
At some level, it has always been about the road for Timothy B. Schmit. Before travelling uncountable highway miles playing bass in the country-rock band Poco for nearly a decade, and before charting courses around the world as a member of The Eagles, it was about chasing the song on tires. For this Rock and […]
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.