With his new bride prepping a solo album and a Pistol Annies album, Blake Shelton isn’t to be outdone. Late last week, he unveiled his new… uh… duo… with Jimmy Fallon. Blake Shelton is also the new host of the Grand Ole Opry’s new backstage tour experience. “Beginning this week, visitors on the Opry House […]
Toby Keith Sets Record Low for No. 1 Debut; Billboard Touring Awards Finalists; Hank Williams Reinterpreted
Kenny Chesney slipped to No. 2 on the Billboard 200 this week with his album Hemingway’s Whiskey, but for the second week in a row a country album topped the chart in its debut week. This time, it was Toby Keith‘s Bullets in the Gun with 71,000 copies sold. It’s his fourth No. 1 and […]
Next spring, Atria Books will publish a memoir from Shania Twain. Accompanied by his lead guitarist and bassist, Billy Currington stopped by the American Songwriter office to perform five of his more popular songs: “Must Be Doin’ Somethin’ Right,” “Good Directions,” “People Are Crazy,” “That’s How Country Boys Roll,” and “Pretty Good At Drinkin’ Beer.” […]
New releases for the week of April 20, 2010 include: Bob Cheevers – Tall Texas Tales Amazon | MySpace Colt Ford – Chicken & Biscuits Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Dailey & Vincent – Singing From the Heart Amazon | iTunes | MySpace David Ball – Sparkle City Amazon | iTunes | MySpace Donna Ulisse […]
With her win at last night’s ACM Awards, Carrie Underwood became the first woman to win entertainer of the year twice. Other notable facts from the ACM Awards website: Brad Paisley is the only artist to win three or more consecutive honors in the top male vocalist of the year category (last night was his […]
In the Mixed-Gender Pop-Country Band Popularity Contest, Little Big Town is lagging somewhere behind Gloriana and Lady Antebellum these days. That’s a shame, because they’re more dynamic than either of those two groups. New single “Little White Church” has the potential to put the quartet back in the race. Though it shares a title with […]
When Gloriana topped Lady Gaga to win the fan-voted Breakthrough Artist of the Year at last fall’s American Music Awards, the music industry let out a collective “Gloriana who?” Followers of this Music Row foursome wouldn’t have been surprised. As opening act for Taylor Swift, the band won over a host of youthful fans, with […]
Why does Nashville Star start again? Because it has slightly better ratings than an Oxy Clean infomercial. — Jim What does “we’re having an Indian Summer” mean? It means you’ve just been extradited from a place you’ve been living for hundreds of years. — Pierce What is the meaning of “Wild at Heart” by Gloriana? […]
Last.fm Top Artists It didn’t take long for Miranda Lambert to reclaim her status as the #1 artist, with 28 listeners. Next came Carrie Underwood with 26, and Lady Antebellum with 24. So the whole Lady A surge lasted for all of a week around here. Gary Allan gets another week in the Top 10, […]
The Academy of Country Music announced nominees for the top new artist categories, which will be fan-voted for the second year in a row. They include: Top New Solo Vocalist Luke Bryan Jamey Johnson Chris Young Top New Vocal Duo Bomshel Joey + Rory Steel Magnolia Top New Vocal Group Eli Young Band Gloriana The […]
- bob: Thanks Barry. Just reserved the Adam Gussow book. Sounds interesting.
- Barry Mazor: It may be over-stated, in arriving at practically a single explanation of everything, but Adam Gussow's book on lynching and …
- Leeann: Wow! Heavy topic and horrifying indeed! "Beer for My Horses" was all fun and games until that reference, I'll have …
- Barry Mazor: Everything else aside, the way that reporter fills us in, with must-have, pointless generational snark included, about who this "Little …
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."