George Strait’s Next Album Drops May 14; Country Music Hall of Fame & Museum to Celebrate Dottie West; New Music Videos
George Strait’s next album, Love is Everything, will be released May 14. Della Mae’s This World Oft Can Be will be released May 28 on Rounder Records. (via press release) The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is celebrating Dottie West this spring with multiple programs, including a film screening of Dottie West: Special Delivery [...]
Dierks Bentley to Perform at Teachers Rock Benefit Concert; Old 97′s Celebrate Too Far to Care; Chet Flippo Talks Concept Albums
A special edition of CMT Radio Live with Cody Alan will air on over 100 stations tonight: “Kix Brooks, Sara Evans, Gloriana, Toby Keith, Reba McEntire and John Rich are among the country artists who will call in and express their thoughts for the victims. The program will also encourage listeners to donate to the [...]
RaeLynn, the only country artist among the final 12 of last season’s The Voice, has signed a record deal with Republic Nashville. Former Dreamworks singer-songwriter Sarah Buxton has started a new band called Skyline Motel with Daniel Tashian, Kate York, and Ian Fitchuk. Kellie Pickler sat down with Entertainment Weekly and talked about her recent [...]
Perry Baggs Passes Away; “Somethin’ ‘Bout a Truck” Goes Platinum, Video Premieres from Alejandro Escovedo, Chatham County Line
Perry Baggs, longtime drummer for Jason & The Scorchers (he left the band in 2003), passed away at the age of 50. Paste premiered videos from Alejandro Escovedo and Chatham County Line. Peter Cooper talks with Old Crow Medicine Show’s Ketch Secor for a Tennessean feature. The band’s new album, Carry Me Back, is due [...]
Kellie Pickler and her label, Sony Music Nashville, have parted ways. Says her manager, “Kellie’s contract with Sony came to an end and they mutually decided not to renew.” Kelly Dearmore interviewed Merle Haggard. An excerpt: “I don’t ever want to insult anyone. I have six children, and if I brag about one of them, [...]
“Coat of Many Colors” Selected for National Recording Registry; Rhonda Vincent to Release Live Gospel Album; Free ATO Records Sampler
Dolly Parton’s “Coat of Many Colors” will be inducted into the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry. T-Model Ford has been hospitalized after suffering a stroke. Saving Country Music has information on where to donate to help with Ford’s expenses. Due out July 10: new Hank Jr. record Old School, New Rules. The album will [...]
Old Crow Medicine Show Announces New Album and Tour; Donna Summer’s Country Connection; Gram Parsons’ Musical Legacy
Peter Cooper wrote a fine obituary for Doug Dillard. On July 17, Old Crow Medicine Show will release new album Carry Me Back, their first studio album since 2008’s Tennessee Pusher. They’ve also announced new summer tour dates. Country Universe’s Kevin Coyne takes a look at Donna Summer’s country connections. Gloriana will perform on Monday night’s [...]
Lionel Richie to Perform at CMA Awards; Prairie Home Companion to Celebrate Bill Monroe; New Jason Isbell Video
The Civil Wars were featured in the New York Times. They talk about their first meeting (while working with other songwriters on material for a band that would become Gloriana) and the idea behind the band name. 41 years ago, Roger Ebert wrote the first review of a John Prine performance. Ryan Adams, Janis Ian, [...]
With his new bride prepping a solo album and a Pistol Annies album, Blake Shelton isn’t to be outdone. Late last week, he unveiled his new… uh… duo… with Jimmy Fallon. Blake Shelton is also the new host of the Grand Ole Opry’s new backstage tour experience. “Beginning this week, visitors on the Opry House [...]
In the Mixed-Gender Pop-Country Band Popularity Contest, Little Big Town is lagging somewhere behind Gloriana and Lady Antebellum these days. That’s a shame, because they’re more dynamic than either of those two groups. New single “Little White Church” has the potential to put the quartet back in the race. Though it shares a title with [...]
- Rick: Rest in peace Chet. His columns were about the only thing I ever bothered to read at CMT.com and I'm ...
- Arlene: I also didn't always agree with everything Chet Flippo wrote, but I enjoyed disagreeing with him, if that makes any ...
- Luckyoldsun: I'm sorry ol' Slim passed, but he's one of those people who when you hear they died, you feel kind ...
- bruce: Although I do not know the exact number of Slim Whitman album sales, I think it might surprise some if ...
- Leeann Ward: Thanks to it being linked here in the original post, I paid the pretty penny for the Kasey Chambers, Papa ...
- Luckyoldsun: "Any ideas on who could play Possum?" Well, even if Nancy is controlling it, I think the movie will have to ...
- TX Music Jim: RIP Chet you have all of my respect ! Sad :(
- Sloane Spencer: Thank you so much for the inclusion of our conversation w/ Kevin Russell AKA Shinyribs. I've been wanting to talk with ...
- Leeann Ward: I didn't always agree with Flippo, but there's no doubt that music journalism has suffered a big loss today. As far ...
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Chet Flippo has passed away. http://www.musicrow.com/2013/06/respected-journalist-chet-flippo-passes/