Producer Phil Ramone passed away on Saturday at the age of 79. The legendary producer, who won 14 Grammys over the course of his career, worked with everyone from Ray Charles to Shelby Lynne. There will be a benefit concert tonight in Nashville to help offset some of Gregg Lohman’s health care bills. Lohman is Kellie Pickler’s drummer and was […]
Guy Clark’s camp went to Facebook to announce that he will be releasing a new album called My Favorite Picture of You this spring. Peter Cooper wrote a phenomenal piece for the Tennessean on the 50th anniversary of the tragic plane crash that took the lives of Patsy Cline, Cowboy Copas, Hawkshaw Hawkins and Randy Hughes. Collin […]
New Gibson Brothers Album Due in March; ROMP Lineup Announced; Rolling Stone Premieres New Son Volt Song
The Gibson Brothers’ next album, They Called It Music, will be released on Compass Records March 26. Merle Haggard, The Del McCoury Band, Sam Bush, Town Mountain, Della Mae and The SteelDrivers are a few of the acts booked for this year’s ROMP, which will be held in late June. Check out the full lineup […]
Carrie Underwood will star as Maria von Trapp in an upcoming live NBC broadcast of The Sound of Music. The show will air in late 2013. Actor Wilford Brimley joined Riders in the Sky for an Opry performance. Marty Stuart will celebrate 20 years of Opry membership on Saturday: Stuart will be celebrated during a one-hour […]
TG Sheppard Hospitalized; Sam Phillips, Jerry Lee Lewis Among Memphis Music HoF Inductees; Underwood Goes Platinum
T.G. Sheppard is in critical condition after being hospitalized on Sunday with a bladder infection that spread through his bloodstream. Barry Mazor interviewed Garth Brooks for this fine Wall Street Journal article. Julie King of the News Guardian reviewed a recent Mary Chapin Carpenter/Shawn Colvin concert. Willie Nelson was one of the guests at Jamey […]
2013 Stagecoach Lineup Announced; Johnny Cash Music Festival Raises $200,000; Underwood, Bryan Among American Music Awards Nominees
Whitney Self of CMT.com interviewed Jessi Colter about Waylon Jennings’ final recordings, released as the album Goin’ Down Rockin’. Percussionist Richard Farrell Morris, who appeared on albums including Kris Kristofferson’s The Silver Tongued Devil and I, passed away October 4 at the age of 74 after a battle with lung cancer. Friday’s Johnny Cash Music Festival […]
IBMA Award Winners Announced; Reba Won’t Return to Host 2013 ACM Awards; Mumford and Sons on Pace for 2012’s Biggest Debut Week
The IBMA Awards were held yesterday. Congratulations to the winners: Bluegrass Hall of Fame Inductees: Doyle Lawson, Ralph Rinzler Distinguished Achievement Award Recipients: Byron Berline, Joe & Lil Cornett, Orin Friesen, Pee Wee Lambert, Kitsy Kuykendall Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Vocal Group of the Year: Blue Highway Instrumental Group of the Year: […]
Americana Music Award Winners Announced; Bearfoot Undergoes Lineup Changes; Stream New Dwight Yoakam Song
Here are the winners of last night’s Americana Music Awards and Honors: Instrumentalist of the Year: Dave Rawlings Album of the Year: This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark; produced by Tamara Saviano and Shawn Camp Song Of The Year Award : “Alabama Pines;” Written by Jason Isbell and performed by Jason Isbell […]
Friends and family remembered Kitty Wells at her funeral. Old albums are outselling new albums for the first time since Nielsen Soundscan started tracking US album sales in ’91. Bobby Braddock, Vince Gill, and the late Roger Miller are among those who will receive special awards this fall at the 6th Annual ACM Honors. Kellie […]
New Dwight Yoakam Album Out 9/18; Glen Campbell Cancels Australia and New Zealand Shows; Free Paul Thorn EP
Dwight Yoakam’s got some big news: a new album, 3 Pears, coming out on Warner Bros. Records September 18. Yoakam worked on the album with Beck, and recorded a few songs at Beck’s home studio. Glen Campbell canceled his Australia and New Zealand tour dates. So Robert Plant and Patty Griffin didn’t actually elope; his […]
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.