We’ve got a copy of the new, expanded edition of 2008 album Meet Glen Campbell, and we’d like to give it away to one of you. The critically-acclaimed album features Campbell covering songs by Jackson Browne, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, The Replacements, and more; the expanded version comes with bonus tracks including 2008 remixes [...]
Mel Tillis Receives National Medal of Arts; Muddy Roots Festival Lineup Additions; New Album Releases
Mel Tillis was at the White House yesterday, receiving a National Medal of Arts. CMT.com has the story about how Whitney Houston came to record Dolly Parton’s “I Will Always Love You.” This project, a documentary about Peter Rowan, looks pretty interesting. Jake Kelly of American Songwriter paid a visit to the Deering Banjo factory [...]
Radney Foster Helps Veterans; The Band Perry and Blake Shelton to Perform with Glen Campbell at Grammys; Bellamy Brothers Robbed
Here is a fine piece written by Chris Richards of the Washington Post about veterans healing through music with a little help from artists like Radney Foster and Darden Smith. Go get a free download of singer-songwriter-banjoman Kyle James Hauser’s folk-pop tune “Hopeless,” which also features cellist Ben Sollee. The Band Perry and Blake Shelton [...]
This year’s ACM nominees will be announced Thursday morning via “digital press conference.” Neil Young is recording a new album with Crazy Horse. Gretchen Peters recently appeared on Imus in the Morning. She played three songs from her upcoming record Hello Cruel World. Kay West of Nashville’s City Paper wrote an interesting feature on the [...]
On February 26 in Jackson, Mississippi, Glen Campbell will play a benefit concert for Alzheimer’s research. Kellie Pickler likes traditional country and puppies. Yesterday afternoon Dolly Parton announced plans to team up with Gaylord for a new water and snow park in Nashville. Groundbreaking is scheduled for 2013, with the complex opening by Summer 2014. [...]
It’s beyond me when a new “musical year” begins these days, but happy New Year. The start of a new calendar year here in Nashville does have a certain distinctive local flavor to it; performers who’ve been out on the road, suddenly back home for a Christmastime break, show up at events and get-togethers around [...]
Swift and Aldean to Perform at Grammys; New Music From Kathleen Edwards, Moot Davis and Angela Easterling
How does Dolly Parton manage to escape fashion criticism? The folks at Jezebel have an idea: [S]he’s so fantastic that the peanut gallery cannot find it within themselves to hate on her. Nobody wants to genuinely critique or criticize Dolly Parton because she’s universally loved for her unabashed tackiness. She rolls around in sequins, embellished [...]
Blake and Reba to Return as ACM Awards Hosts; Grascals Sign with Mountain Home; Download New Justin Townes Earle Song
Download the lead single and title track of Justin Townes Earle’s upcoming album Nothing’s Gonna Change the Way You Feel About Me Now. Kelly Dearmore interviewed Darrell Scott about his new album and his work with Robert Plant. Here Scott answers the question of what Americana music means to him: I love that Americana is [...]
Bonnie Raitt’s got a new album (her first in seven years) in the works. Slipstream will drop on April 10. Here’s video of Alison Krauss appearing on Tavis Smiley to discuss Paper Airplane. Upcoming release Voyageur is Kathleen Edwards’ “divorce album.” The 9513 alum Pierce Greenberg reports that The Grascals have been sued by Entertainment [...]
Jennifer Nettles got married last Saturday to boyfriend Justin Miller. Producer and Columbia Records A&R rep Don DeVito passed away on Friday at the age of 72. He was instrumental in the careers of Bob Dylan, The Byrds, and more. Songwriter Virginia Mae Stauffer passed away earlier this month. Did a group called The Speek [...]
- Jon: Well, that's just gibberish. When Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald sang on the silver screen, they were the artists ...
- Barry Mazor: Thanks for straightening me out LuckyOlSunbody. "Given credit as the 'artist" by who? Take it up with the Screen Actors ...
- Luckyoldsun: Barry: As far as the comparison to movies: The person who's given credit as the "artist" of a movie is the director--not ...
- Jon: I've got to say, I think "Lots More Blues, Rags, and Hollers" was a better record.
- Janice Brooks: As for new releases, I love the new Don Rigsby and Mike Scott. Will also dig up a cut of ...
- Barry Mazor: Look, one sort of music reporting/reviewing I like to do best is reporting on live performance, the interaction with the ...
- nm: That's probably why I generally don't watch music on a screen in my home, except for films of live shows. ...
- Jon: If you are watching music on a screen in your home, you're not going out to a show, are you? ...
- nm: I don't think the problem with lip-synching (for me as a member of the audience at a live event) is ...
- Jon: I've played for some audiences I'd have liked to have sued!