In what was promoted as his final live concert, George Strait set a record for the largest crowd for an indoor concert in North American history at AT&T Stadium in Dallas on Saturday night. More than 104,000 people were in attendance. Lionel Richie is plotting a sequel to his country duets album, Tuskegee. Check out the […]
Guitarist James Alan Shelton (one of Ralph Stanley’s Clinch Mountain Boys) passed away yesterday after a short battle with cancer. Peter Cooper (Tennessean), Robert K. Oermann (MusicRow) Chuck Dauphin (Billboard), and Edd Hurt (Nashville Scene) penned obituaries for steel guitar great Weldon Myrick. Yesterday NPR took a look at Bobbie Gentry’s classic “Ode to Billie Joe.” Kelly Dearmore […]
Stream Dave & Phil Alvin’s Big Bill Broonzy Tribute; CMHOF to Salute “Nashville Cat” Steve Gibson; Elizabeth Cook Returns to Letterman
The New Yorker is streaming Dave and Phil Alvin’s salute to Big Bill Broonzy, Common Ground, which comes out next week on Yep Roc. Here’s a photo gallery of Waylon Jennings taping a show at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in 1984. Esquire premiered Dom Flemons’ “But They Got It Fixed Right On,” a track […]
You will never be as cool as Del McCoury high-fiving people from a motorcycle sidecar at a festival he named after himself. The 615’s Rich Appel reports that, “The ink has barely dried on the deal between Cumulus Media and Big Machine Label Group creating a new country music record label (Nash Icons) and live […]
Stuart, Shaver Plan Album Releases; John Fahey Biography Due in June; Trampled By Turtles Debut New Song
Billy Joe Shaver will release Long in the Tooth on Lightning Rod Records August 5. Give a listen to “Hard to be an Outlaw,” Shaver’s new duet with Willie Nelson, here. On September 30, Marty Stuart is going to release the double album Saturday Night & Sunday Morning. As the title suggests, one disc will […]
George Strait’s Farewell Tour Grosses $72M; Carolyn Martin to Release Milton Brown Tribute Album; New Sturgill Simpson Video
Dolly Parton has a work ethic that artists half her age could learn from. At 68, her days are jam-packed doing interviews, shooting music videos, and being delightful. I am exhausted just reading about her schedule. George Strait’s farewell tour is raking in the cash, grossing more than $72 million since January 2013. A few […]
Austin City Limits Hall of Fame to Induct Willie Nelson; Kasey Chambers Returns to the Studio; New Album Releases
Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughan are the inaugural inductees into the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame. Buddy Guy, Lyle Lovett, and more will perform at the induction ceremony on April 26. Kasey Chambers is back in the studio working on a solo album. Stream Martina McBride’s Everlasting and Left Lane Cruiser’s Slingshot. If […]
ABC to Air Nashville: On the Record; Isbell Guests on WTF with Marc Maron; The Music Maker Relief Foundation Celebrates 20th Anniversary
Jason Isbell appeared on the podcast WTF with Marc Maron (Patterson Hood will guest on Friday’s episode) and The Old 97s stopped by Comedy Bang Bang. George Strait’s “Give It All We Got Tonight” has gone platinum. Next week, good guy Vince Gill will headline Jammin’ to Beat the Blues, a concert which benefits the nonprofit organization […]
HOF to Host “A Conversation with John Prine”; Pinecastle to Release Lost Osborne Brothers Recordings; T Bone Burnett Producing All-Star Basement Tapes Sequel
Albums I forgot in yesterday’s record roundup: John Nemeth’s Memphis Grease and Brandon Isaak’s Here on Earth. The Old 97s’ “Nashville” from their new record, Most Messed Up, is streaming on The New Yorker’s website. (warning: autoplay) The Chicago Tribune published a piece on Special Consensus and their solid new tribute to John Denver, Country […]
The 49th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards off-camera award winners include: Career Achievement Award: Toby Keith, Ronnie Milsap Cliffie Stone Pioneer Award: Bob Beckham Crystal Milestone Award: Merle Haggard Gene Weed Special Achievement Award: Carrie Underwood Jim Reeves International Award: Steve Buchanan, Rascal Flatts Mae Boren Axton Award: Paul Moore Poet’s Award: Jack Clement, […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...