Naomi Judd Calls Out CMT Awards; Americana Fest Announces Performers; Newport Folk Festival Goes Way Over Yonder
Salon.com posted an excerpt from Michael Streissguth’s new book, Outlaw. Chris Stapleton: superhero? Adam Steffey’s New Primitive comes out next week. Our friend Kelly Dearmore wrote a lengthy feature on Zane Williams for the Dallas Observer. Country California posted a new Quotable Country. Stream Sturgill Simpson’s “Hero” on CMT Edge. In a letter to the editor posted on […]
Randy Travis Releases George Jones Tribute Song; Julie Roberts Signs with Sun Records; New Music Videos
Julie Roberts announced that she has been signed to Sun Records, making her the first artist to release a new album for the label in almost three decades. The album will be called Good Wine and Bad Decisions and will be released this fall. Randy Travis released a new song dedicated to George Jones. Listen to “Tonight […]
Songwriter and comedian Don Bowman passed away on Wednesday at the age of 75. (h/t Janice Brooks) Earlier this week, a plaque was placed at Nashville’s Woodlawn Cemetery to announce the forthcoming construction of a George Jones monument. CMT posted My Darling Clementine’s Possum tribute, “The Gospel According to George.” The Defibulators’ new video premiered […]
The Tennessean posted a feature with some great video of last week’s grand opening of the Johnny Cash Museum in downtown Nashville. On Wednesday, the U.S. Postal Service will unveil the new Johnny Cash stamp at the Ryman. Nashville’s Gruhn Guitars, a store that had spent 43 years down on Broadway, is moving to a new location on […]
Carrie Underwood to Sing Sunday Night Football Theme; Stream New McKenna, Bhiman Albums; Who is the Greatest Living Country Singer?
Carrie Underwood is replacing Faith Hill on Sunday Night Football. Elizabeth Cook and Todd Snider are on the cover of The East Nashvillian. You can download the entire issue here. John Murph of The Atlantic posted a transcript of his interesting conversation with Wulf Muller and Chuck Mitchell about the revamped OKeh Records label. Hellbound […]
Nominations for the fan-voted 2013 CMT Awards were announced yesterday. Jason Aldean, Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flatts, and Florida Georgia Line received three nominations each, while Hunter Hayes, Kacey Musgraves and, uh, Journey are among those nominated for two awards. Read the full list of nominations and cast your votes here. The Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver […]
Brad Paisley penned a great and appreciative column about George Jones for Billboard’s The 615. Cher’s mother, Georgia Holt, has released a country music album. Keith Urban joined The Rolling Stones on stage in Los Angeles late last week. Lauren Alaina will debut “Barefoot and Buckwild,” the first single from her sophomore album, on American […]
George Jones Laid to Rest; Woody Guthrie at 100 to Air on PBS in June; Jason Aldean to Co-Host CMT Awards
George Jones’ memorial service was held yesterday morning. It was lovely. GAC put together a photo gallery. Rolling Stone posted a statement from Keith Richards on Jones’ passing. A few videos from the event are trickling in on YouTube, like Patty Loveless and Vince Gill’s heart-wrenching performance of “Go Rest High on That Mountain.” No […]
George Jones’ Album Sales Soar; Yearwood, Little Big Town Nominated for Daytime Emmys; Initial Wide Open Bluegrass Lineup Announced
Last night, people began lining up for George Jones’ funeral. The service will air on CMT, GAC, WSM, Opry.com, RFD-TV and Sirius XM at 11 a.m. Eastern. The ACM Awards posted a Jones tribute on YouTube. Nick Ryerson writes about “The Salvation of George Jones” in his new God and Country column. Eddie Stubbs paid tribute […]
George Jones’ radio airplay skyrocketed following news of his death. Chuck Dauphin compiled a list of Jones’ 20 biggest Billboard hits, David Cantwell wrote about Jones for Slate, NPR’s RJ Smith wrote about “The Mysteries of George Jones” and Holly Gleason wrote a piece on the Possum for the Oxford American. Alan Jackson is rescheduling […]
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …
- Jeremy Dylan: I did a podcast on Joni Mitchell's BLUE album recently and was wondering if there was a good bio of …
- Leeann Ward: Well, that was a mighty unnecessarily flippant comment I just made there and the better angels of my nature make …
- Leeann Ward: As for me, I'd realize I'd written a crappy song if Luke Bryan ended up being the one who wanted …
- luckyoldsun: You say Marx is very gracious--again implying that he should feel aggrieved. Well, apparently, he DOESN'T feel aggrieved--He feels gratitude …