Conway Twitty Gets Marker on Miss. Country Music Trail; Bluebird Cafe Celebrates 30 Years; New Music Videos
Delaney Davidson was the big winner at the New Zealand Country Music Awards last week with his steel guitar-driven song “You’re a Loser.” Barry Mazor passed along this great video of Elizabeth Cook paying tribute to Doc Watson with “Columbus Stockade Blues.” After Eric Church’s concert was cancelled in Buffalo due to bad weather, angry [...]
Doc Watson’s family was called to his bedside over the weekend. He did rally a bit, but is still in critical condition. CMT.com posted a two-part Carrie Underwood interview. George Jones was released from the hospital this weekend. Angaleena Presley got married. So did Cia Cherryholmes and Stetson Adkisson. They’re also working on a single [...]
George Jones was admitted to a Nashville area hospital yesterday for further testing and evaluation of a lingering upper respiratory infection. His concert dates through June will be rescheduled when possible. Yesterday, Tim McGraw announced his new deal with Big Machine Records. McGraw is already working on new music: “[a]sked when fans can hear his [...]
Carter Family Documentary Needs Kickstarting; Reba’s Sitcom Pilot Picked Up By ABC; New Music Videos
Jack Ingram unveiled new song called “Right for You.” Carrie Underwood and Jimmy Kimmel teamed up to do a mock music video called “Before You Freak.” The Kickstarter campaign for The Winding Stream, a documentary about the Carter Family, is in the home stretch but still needs funds for post-production. The Grammy Museum, the Experience [...]
Everett Lilly Passes Away; Elizabeth Cook Records Gospel EP; Ralph Emery Inducted Into Tenn. Radio Hall of Fame
Everett Lilly (The Lilly Brothers) passed away at the age of 87. Lionel Richie’s Tuskegee has been certified platinum. Due out June 19: Ruby Jane’s Celebrity (Empire of Emptiness). Yesterday evening, Elizabeth Cook tweeted “Can’t believe Im sayin this, but I’m in RCA studio Making a Gospel EP! Holy hell.” Ralph Emery was inducted into the [...]
Tomorrow is the 138th Kentucky Derby. Put on an ostentatious hat and get ready for the Run for the Roses with these songs. (It’s not the Friday Six, but you can’t go wrong with adding Tim O’Brien’s “Hoss Race” to your Derby Day playlist.) 5. Johnny Cash, “Camptown Races” It’s a good thing the Kentucky [...]
George Jones Postpones Performances Through 5/20; Bonnie Raitt to Receive AMA Lifetime Achievement Award; The Business of Johnny Cash
This September, Bonnie Raitt will receive the Americana Music Association’s Lifetime Achievement Award for Performance. George Jones has postponed all performances through May 20 as he continues to recuperate from an upper respiratory infection. More info about Nashville, the Music City “family soap” starring Connie Britton: she will play “a 40-year-old Nashville superstar named Rayna who [...]
“Wagon Wheel” Goes Gold; Kasey Chambers and Shane Nicholson Return to the Studio; New Steep Canyon Rangers Video
Merle Haggard returned to play a show in Macon, where he was hospitalized with pneumonia and other health issues earlier this year: “I wound up here in the hospital several days with you. I forgot how many, they had me under some really good dope…Macon’s got the best dope in the hospital I’ve ever seen. [...]
Levon Helm in Final Stages of Cancer Battle; Pistol Annies Celebrate Record Store Day with Vinyl; Stream New Waco Brothers & Paul Burch Album
Sad news was posted on Levon Helm’s website by his wife and daughter yesterday afternoon: Levon is in the final stages of his battle with cancer. Please send your prayers and love to him as he makes his way through this part of his journey. Thank you fans and music lovers who have made his [...]
George Jones Released From Hospital; New John Fogerty Album Due This Fall; Stream New Trampled By Turtles Record
George Jones has been released from the hospital after being treated for an upper respiratory infection. Los Angeles Americana music series, The Grand Ole Echo, kicks off its new season April 15. “Before You Leave,” about Mary Gauthier, won Best Short Documentary at the Garden State Film Festival. Here’s the trailer. John Fogerty’s got a [...]
- Jon: Jack Bernhardt is the bomb.
- Bruce: Good article on Rucker. I do not care for all his songs and he is far from my favorite. I ...
- Kelly D.: Dig the Whiskey Sisters and the write-up from ol' Jim C.
- Bruce: "Why do people talk about the authenticity and/or genuineness of others with whom they’ve had no direct, normal social interaction ...
- Luckyoldsun: Hank III says "Old Junior once said it best,"--Is that some sort of rapprochement in the Williams family soap opera? It's ...
- Joan Harrison: Hi, My husband and I really enjoy watching your show each week. You had a recipe on for pork ...
- Jon: "@Both Kinds Of Music – Your point is?" It is a little opaque, isn't it?
- BRUCE: @Both Kinds Of Music - Your point is? BTW, I love Rucker's "Wagon Wheel" version. Gotta love Strait. I wished Swift would ...
- Luckyoldsun: Jonny Boy, Are you really as angry about this as you come off?--This has to be an act. I have no problem ...
- Barry Mazor: I'm not personally offended in the least, luckyducky, I also find discussing things with you an utter waste of time ...