Lonestar has a new single called “Party All Day.” George Ducas will release 4340 in late October. The album includes some co-writes with the likes of Radney Foster and Keifer Thompson. The couple that got married at the 2012 ACM Awards is naming their baby after Martina McBride. Sue Zalokar of Street Roots News interviewed […]
The Mavericks to Tape PBS Special; Brennen Leigh & Noel McKay to Release Duets Album in September; Della Mae Debuts New Video
Singer-songwriter Nick Nixon (he co-wrote “The Teddy Bear Song” and many others) passed away yesterday afternoon. George Jones’ gospel album, Amazing Grace, will be released September 10. Jones “recorded the gospel songs with producer Billy Sherrill in 2002 with the exception of one track, “Great Judgment Morning,” which was produced by Brian Ahern in 1994.” Out September 17: […]
Labels large and small have opted for highly seasonal release calendars that have a slew of new records coming out between mid-August and mid-September, like school lunchboxes. So I’m taking this column to offer some quick views and previews of several handfuls I’ve found notable. (“CDs” doesn’t nail it any more, and “releases” is giving […]
Ralph Stanley Announces Farewell Tour; Birthplace of Country Music Museum Names Director; Free Ashleigh Flynn Download
Ralph Stanley has announced that he’ll begin his final tour this October. The “Man of Constant Sorrow Tour: The Doctor’s Farewell” is scheduled to run through December 2014. (via press release) Jewly Hight visited Nashville’s Woodlawn Cemetery, where George Jones, Boudleaux and Felice Bryant, Tammy Wynette, Marty Robbins, Porter Wagoner, and many, many more are […]
George Jones Biopic in the Works; Amanda Shires Releases Album Trailer; Skip Cherryholmes Joins Lou Reid & Carolina
Slim Whitman passed away. He was 89 years old. (h/t Janice Brooks) Reba’s on the cover of Jetset Magazine. Inside, she talks about her career, and, of course, the planes she’s owned. 28 Entertainment has acquired the life rights to George Jones. A biopic is in the works; writer Dennis Baxter worked with George and Nancy (who […]
Waylon Jennings would have celebrated his 76th birthday tomorrow (hopefully this extra day of notice will give you enough time to plan a proper tribute, whether it’s donating to The Waylon Jennings Fund for Diabetes Research, baking cupcakes–sugar-free, of course–or covering your Telecaster in leather). Today, let’s take a look at a few favorite duets […]
Naomi Judd Calls Out CMT Awards; Americana Fest Announces Performers; Newport Folk Festival Goes Way Over Yonder
Salon.com posted an excerpt from Michael Streissguth’s new book, Outlaw. Chris Stapleton: superhero? Adam Steffey’s New Primitive comes out next week. Our friend Kelly Dearmore wrote a lengthy feature on Zane Williams for the Dallas Observer. Country California posted a new Quotable Country. Stream Sturgill Simpson’s “Hero” on CMT Edge. In a letter to the editor posted on […]
Randy Travis Releases George Jones Tribute Song; Julie Roberts Signs with Sun Records; New Music Videos
Julie Roberts announced that she has been signed to Sun Records, making her the first artist to release a new album for the label in almost three decades. The album will be called Good Wine and Bad Decisions and will be released this fall. Randy Travis released a new song dedicated to George Jones. Listen to “Tonight […]
Songwriter and comedian Don Bowman passed away on Wednesday at the age of 75. (h/t Janice Brooks) Earlier this week, a plaque was placed at Nashville’s Woodlawn Cemetery to announce the forthcoming construction of a George Jones monument. CMT posted My Darling Clementine’s Possum tribute, “The Gospel According to George.” The Defibulators’ new video premiered […]
The Tennessean posted a feature with some great video of last week’s grand opening of the Johnny Cash Museum in downtown Nashville. On Wednesday, the U.S. Postal Service will unveil the new Johnny Cash stamp at the Ryman. Nashville’s Gruhn Guitars, a store that had spent 43 years down on Broadway, is moving to a new location on […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...