This past Friday night, the Oak Ridge Boys were invited to become the newest members of the Grand Ole Opry in fine Little Jimmy Dickens fashion. After the Oak Ridge Boys performed “Y’All Come Back Saloon,” Dickens walked out onstage dressed as a sub-five-foot William Lee Golden with long beard and sunglasses. “All my life […]
When I was a kid my favorite movies were the Back to the Future trilogy and Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure. Bill and Ted’s Bogus Journey was in heavy rotation as well. Basically, I like movies with time machines. Songs that feature time machines aren’t too bad either. Here are a few. 5. “Time Machine” […]
Concord Music Group Acquires Rounder Records; Trailer Choir, Emily West, and Corb Lund Introduce New Videos
The California-based, independent label Concord Music Group acquired Rounder Records and its collection of over 3,000 master recordings. In a Q&A with Rita Ballou (whose blog Rawhide & Velvet has more drama than daytime television), Charla Corn revealed that Casey Donahew booted her from a gig because she’s a she. CMT has new videos for […]
Hall Honorees Comment On Induction; Josh Thompson’s Polarizing Reception; Sarah Buxton Performs New Album Acoustically
The Tennessean‘s Peter Cooper provided brief background info for each of the four new Country Hall of Fame inductees along with quotes from all but Don Williams, who chose not to be interviewed. Brad Paisley hurled a couple of good-natured jabs at the audience during a recent concert: During the testosterone-fest, ‘I’m Still a Guy,’ […]
For Sarah Buxton, the last six years have been a roller coaster ride. The singer and songwriter has realized huge successes (co-writing the Keith Urban smash “Stupid Boy”) and, at times, she has questioned where the road she was on was headed. Now, her journey aims to all points north; a physical release of her […]
Songwriters: Gary Burr and Emily West. Thank goodness that there are men out there who never appreciate their women until they’re gone, or else we’d be in a severe country song shortage. Yes, country music may continue to change and evolve, but as long as men screw up, singers and songwriters in Nashville will stay […]
Christie’s announced yesterday that a poem written by Bob Dylan when he was 16 would be up for auction, however a reader alerted Reuters that the lyrics matched “Little Buddy,” a song previously recorded by Hank Snow. Christie’s response: “This still remains among the earliest known handwritten lyrics of Bob Dylan and Christie’s is pleased […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.