Back when we only had three television stations and we had to walk five uphill miles both ways to and from school through three feet of snow, Saturday mornings were looked forward to for a little cartoon watching. And if you were watching ABC, you became intimately familiar with a little in-between segment called Schoolhouse […]
Whether you’re a fan of Valentine’s Day or think it’s a fake holiday perpetuated by greeting card companies, there’s a song or two for you on this list of my five favorite songs about February 14. 5. “Feb. 14” – Drive-By Truckers Is there a crueler rejection than “I want to be alone/Take your chocolates […]
The 19th annual Wing Bowl, a competitive eating contest that draws numerous competitors and thousands of spectators, is being held today in Philadelphia. In celebration of that gross display of gluttony, here are my five favorite country songs about gorging oneself. Pass the hot sauce. 5. “When I Had But Fifty Cents” – Binkley Brothers […]
Kenny Rogers, Ryan Bingham, The Greencards, Buddy Miller, Caitlin Rose and more have all recorded their own songs about wells of the wishing and non-wishing varieties, but here are my five favorites. 5. “The Well” – Rose’s Pawn Shop Drowning in a well of sorrow sounds doesn’t sound like much fun, but if this rowdy […]
So the boys of Old Crow Medicine Show caught a ride and a smoke from a Philly trucker, Mark Knopfler and James Taylor wrote about the creation of the Mason-Dixon Line in “Sailing to Philadelphia,” and Robert Earl Keen’s Philadelphia stay in “The Great Hank” includes a drag version of Hank Williams. (http://ourkindofmusic.wordpress.com/2010/08/20/robert-earl-keen-interview-part-2-of-3/) Here are […]
Are you a coulrophobic country music fan? You might want to skip this week’s Friday Five, because it’s got a miniature car’s worth of sad, often drunk, clowns. 6. “Heart of a Clown” – Gene Watson If ol’ Gene had the heart of a clown, he’d be able to keep a smile on his face […]
Say yes to booty with these five songs about pirates. 5. “The Pirate Queen” – Alison Brown This jazzy instrumental track sounds pretty laid back for a character as rough-edged as a pirate queen. But Brown’s banjo picking (and the work of her fellow musicians on the record) is flawless and a pleasure to listen […]
Now that the holidays are over, we can concentrate on what comes next. We’re not talking about turkey leftovers or ensuring that Aunt Louise and Uncle Milton make it home safely back to Tampa. We’re talking about the mountains of receipts staring us in the face from all of the presents we bought and thought […]
There have been more than a few songs penned about the Grand Ole Opry in the past eight decades. Narrowing down that list to just five songs wasn’t an easy task, but here are my five favorites. 5. “Tears at the Grand Ole Opry” – Wanda Jackson Country music works wonders on the heartbroken, but […]
Bats, bears, Neanderthals, fugitives, survivors of nuclear war—everyone loves caves. 5. “Back to the Cave” – Joe Diffie “You want to go back to the cave?…You be Wilma and I’ll be Fred.” What gal could resist that smooth talk, especially if it comes with a side of brontosaurus ribs at the Bedrock Drive-In? 4. “The […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.