Everyone’s doing the ALS ice bucket challenge, but Dolly Parton’s is the best. Don’t forget to set your DVRs for George Strait’s concert special on CMT this evening. Little Richard was in a car accident in Murfreesboro on Monday when an SUV he was riding in was hit by another car. Both vehicles sustained major damage, but […]
Until recently, this act was known as Walt Wilkins & the Mystiqueros, as it featured Texas songwriter Wilkins a the front of the stage. For their latest album, Agave, the band billed itself as simply the Mystiqueros, which is a laudable show of solidarity by its frontman and a more appropriate moniker for the San […]
It’s February and reminders of Valentine’s Day are everywhere. Sure, having that special someone is nice, but when times get bad, the only one who will always stand by you is your dog. So we’re going to pay tribute to them this month. There was quite a library of songs to choose from, so we […]
Beginning Jan. 1, Jimmy Wayne plans to walk from Nashville, Tennessee to Phoenix, Arizona in an effort to raise awareness about homelessness. Farce the Music: Country Christmas Parody Covers 2009 Tex-Mex supergroup the Texas Tornados will release a new album, Esta Bueno, on March 2nd. The lineup includes original members Augie Meyers and Flaco Jimenez […]
If the ghosts of Hank Thompson, Buddy Holly, and Doug Sahm could have been anywhere Saturday night, it would have been in the rafters of Gruene Hall watching the splendor of the Tejas Brothers. Whether it was the thrill of playing in the vaunted dance hall, the reunion with Eleven Hundred Springs–a band that’s cheered […]
Same admonition as before. Just some songs I liked, one song per artist. “Everybody’s Reaching Out For Someone” – Pat Daisy (1972) Beautiful and blessed with a great voice, she never did break through as a major star since she was buried at RCA behind Connie Smith, Dolly Parton, Dottie West and Skeeter Davis. This […]
Shawn Sahm led the surviving members of the Texas Tornados, Augie Meyers and Flaco Jiminez, in a six-song romp at Antone’s last night that was part of a two-hour tribute show to his father, the late Doug Sahm. In addition to a documentary that’s being made about his father, Shaw Sahm also told the crowd […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.