Cowboy Jack Clement’s Last Album Due in July; NYT on the Trail of Geeshie Wiley & Elvie Thomas; New Music Videos
As was mentioned in the comments section by Juli, singer-songwriter Jesse Winchester passed away from cancer last Friday morning at the age of 69. Obituaries have been published by The New York Times, Rolling Stone, USA Today, NPR, and CMT, to name just a few. Barry Mazor reviewed The Hank Williams Reader for The Wall Street Journal. Listen […]
If I had a time-traveling police box at my disposal, in between placing bets on various sporting events, attending concerts, and avoiding the Grandfather paradox, I’d like to find out what happened to these people. 5. Roger McGuinn – “Bag Full of Money” McGuinn invents a past for the infamous Dan “D.B.” Cooper in this […]
Rosa Lee Watson passed away on Thursday, six months after Doc, her husband of more than 60 years. Songwriter Frank Dycus, whose credits include “I Don’t Need Your Rockin’ Chair” and “Unwound,” passed away on Friday. He was 72. Walter Hensley, the “Banjo Baron of Baltimore,” passed away on Saturday at the age of 76. […]
Americana Festival Celebrates Best Year to Date; Toby Keith Surprises Military Wife; New Videos from Paul Thorn, Tift Merritt
Jim Lauderdale is The Bluegrass Situation’s Artist of the Month. This year’s Americana Music Festival and Conference was the most successful one to date. Next year’s shindig will be held September 18-22. Gretchen Peters will perform at National Plug In Day, a celebration of electric cars, in Nashville this weekend. Ryan Bingham chatted with Michael […]
Mark Johnson Wins Steve Martin Banjo Prize; Gary Louris Announces Solo Tour; Vince Gill Gets Hollywood Walk of Fame Star
Garden & Gun pulled together a playlist for the Mountain Song at Sea bluegrass cruise. Chet Flippo’s written a new Nashville Skyline column about Hall of Fame inductions in response to Peter Cooper’s recent Tennessean feature about the HoF. An excerpt: The annual roll call of new members of the Country Music Hall of Fame has been a […]
New Music from David Wax Museum and Catherine Irwin in September; Peter Rowan Pays Tribute to Doc Watson; Pistol Annies Start Henhouse Fan Community
All of us at Engine 145 were very saddened to hear of the unexpected passing of music journalist Chris Neal. Chris was a knowledgeable, talented writer whose work appeared in a number of places, including the Nashville Scene, M Music & Musicians Magazine (where he was Senior Editor), Country Weekly, and The 9513. Here are […]
George Jones Released From Hospital; New John Fogerty Album Due This Fall; Stream New Trampled By Turtles Record
George Jones has been released from the hospital after being treated for an upper respiratory infection. Los Angeles Americana music series, The Grand Ole Echo, kicks off its new season April 15. “Before You Leave,” about Mary Gauthier, won Best Short Documentary at the Garden State Film Festival. Here’s the trailer. John Fogerty’s got a […]
Kiss my grits; it’s a playlist about waitresses. From hash-slinging to, well, hash-slinging, these women have seen and done it all. Don’t boss ‘em, don’t cross ‘em, and for Pete’s sake, tip nicely. 5. “The Night’s Too Long” – Lucinda Williams/”The Road Goes on Forever” – Robert Earl Keen Two waitresses escape their humdrum existence […]
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.
- Janice Brooks: Peter Cooper needs an edit. Stringbean did not die in 1964.
- Leeann: I can't contribute to this list, but I did think of Steve Earle and The Wire. It's not my …
- Jeremy Dylan: That was a great episode of Monk. The "Georgia On My Mind" scene is just heartbreaking.