Hard Working Americans to Release Documentary; MLB Pitcher Jake Peavy Covers Townes Van Zandt; Stream New Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile Album
Tom Riggs, founder of bluegrass label Pinecastle Records, passed away last Saturday. He was 78 years old. Watch Giants pitcher Jake Peavy and third base coach Tim Flannery (who has his own band, Tim Flannery & The Lunatic Fringe) cover Townes Van Zandt’s “Pancho and Lefty” in the stairwell of a Ritz-Carlton. The A.V. Club […]
Equal parts riveting backstory and ravishing beauty, Kellie Pickler would seem like a music marketer’s dream. In fact, she’s already made quite an impression with television audiences. An American Idol finalist in 2006, she continued her reality-show winning streak by taking home the mirror ball on Dancing with the Stars last spring. Instead, Pickler had been at risk of […]
The Academy of Country Music Awards were held last night. Here are some of the winners (you can find a detailed list of nominees and winners here): Video of the Year: Little Big Town – “Tornado” Vocal Event of the Year: Jason Aldean with Luke Bryan and Eric Church – “The Only Way I Know” […]
Eric Church’s Chief Goes Platinum; How Listeners Shape Music Evolution; Chatham County Line Video Premiere
Listen to “Getting’ Down on the Mountain,” a new Corb Lund song. Kathleen Edwards, Sara Watkins, and Trampled By Turtles made NPR’s listener-voted list of the year’s best albums to date. Phil Barton talks to American Songwriter about one of his co-writes, Lee Brice’s “A Woman Like You.” The song “was recorded the actual night […]
That sound you hear is Kellie Pickler coming into her own. For all the attention its ‘traditionalism’ has drawn in the popular music press, 100 Proof is a better example of unadulterated Kellie Pickler than of unadulterated country tradition. Neither a typical mainstream release nor a revivalist exercise in tear-in-your-beer balladry, this is a collection […]
Frank Liddell to Produce Lee Ann Womack’s New Record; Whitey Morgan & The 78s to Record Live Album; New Releases
Lee Ann Womack’s husband, Frank Liddell, will produce her new album, which will be released some time in 2012. The newest Quotable Country features Mac McAnally, Caitlin Rose, Jimmy Wayne, and more. Barry Mazor had a talk with Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson for a feature in the Wall Street Journal. Speaking of Clark, he’s […]
With smart songwriting sensibilities and Texas everyman vocals, Stoney LaRue’s long overdue second studio album Velvet is worth the wait. LaRue and his producers, Frank Liddell (Miranda Lambert, Jack Ingram and Lee Ann Womack) and Mike McCarthy (Patty Griffin), have combined meaningful lyrics with a production sound that would have been interesting all by itself. […]
With her win at last night’s ACM Awards, Carrie Underwood became the first woman to win entertainer of the year twice. Other notable facts from the ACM Awards website: Brad Paisley is the only artist to win three or more consecutive honors in the top male vocalist of the year category (last night was his […]
Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Tim McGraw, and Reba McEntire are among the acts announced to perform at the ACM Awards, along with Lady Antebellum, Jason Aldean, Brooks & Dunn, Trace Adkins and Blake Shelton. It’s time for another edition of photoshopped albums covers from Farce the Music. Peter Cooper tackles songwriting, and more specifically co-writing, […]
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."
- luckyoldsun: And I hear that Pretty Boy Floyd wasn't exactly the gentleman eulogized by Woody Guthrie (and that he didn't set …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jeremy, I wish you the very best of luck with the release. Your moderator pick is a fine one.
- Jeremy Dylan: That FTM playlist is a grand way to spend an afternoon. SHAMELESS PLUG Btw, any Engine145 readers in Nashville on Monday night, …
- David Cantwell: Amen, Brother Barry.