Jerry Douglas Announces Flatt & Scruggs Tribute Album; SiriusXM Launches Y2Kountry; New Music Videos
Ali Lohan, younger sister of Lindsay, is reportedly getting ready to launch a country music career. The internet was abuzz over Tim McGraw’s intentional/unintentional swipe/slap of a fan that got a little too grabby at one of his concerts. JD Crowe, Doyle Lawson and Paul Williams will release Standing Tall and Tough on Mountain Home […]
Brad Paisley penned a great and appreciative column about George Jones for Billboard’s The 615. Cher’s mother, Georgia Holt, has released a country music album. Keith Urban joined The Rolling Stones on stage in Los Angeles late last week. Lauren Alaina will debut “Barefoot and Buckwild,” the first single from her sophomore album, on American […]
Rosa Lee Watson passed away on Thursday, six months after Doc, her husband of more than 60 years. Songwriter Frank Dycus, whose credits include “I Don’t Need Your Rockin’ Chair” and “Unwound,” passed away on Friday. He was 72. Walter Hensley, the “Banjo Baron of Baltimore,” passed away on Saturday at the age of 76. […]
I’m sometimes asked —sympathetically or suspiciously—why I don’t write more negative reviews than I do. It’s not some physical disability that prevents me from turning my thumb down; there are simply so many projects (all media included) being released now, more than I could ever discuss, and life’s too short to spend much time or […]
Some 2000 miles from the birthplace of bluegrass, a fiddle player named Laurie Lewis has been making her own brand of Northern California bluegrass for many years. She’s twice been named IBMA Female Vocalist of the Year and even taken home a Grammy for her work in the field. In this musical dedication to Bill […]
With the major news outlets still swirling around the BP Gulf Coast oil spill, blue states and red states have taken positions on both sides of the argument about who is to blame and how well Washington DC has responded to the locals needs. But there’s one thing that most Americans can come to agreement […]
There’s no shortage of songs that fit this theme by artists like Bill Emerson, Buddy Holly, Dale Watson, The Mavericks, Wayne Hancock, Two Dollar Pistols, Garth Brooks, and many, many more. I could dig a little deeper into my music collection and make this a super-sized Friday Five, but that seems sort of at odds […]
What does roll a big fat one mean? It’s a cowtipping reference. Not sure why Zac Brown takes cows to the beach with him, though. — CM Clearly you haven’t watched the Chipotle employee training video. – Juli Is George Strait really singing in Spanish? No, that’s Jorge, his illegitimate Mexican brother. – Pierce What […]
Whether real or imaginary, the figure of the angel has wormed its way into all facets of country music. From church pews to bar stools, you just can’t escape these heavenly helpers…or the real life folks who may just look angelic. The list of potential songs for this month’s playlist was quite lengthy, but after […]
Economic turmoil, and probably some bad business practices, have led to what NewsChannel5.com is calling the first major casualty on Music Row–the immediately effective suspension of operations at Equity Music Group. If you’ll recall, Equity Music is the record label that Clint Black helped start in 2003. Black recently filed a lawsuit against his manager/accountant […]
- luckyoldsun: "The Night The Lights Went Out in Georgia" seems to be about a lynching--even if there's something about a judge …
- Arlene: Sorry. I meant to give the link for "Supper Time." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ58Kfe41kI
- Arlene: Another song sung by Ethel Waters: Irving Berlin's "Supper Time"
- bob: Powerful songs. I read the book "A Lynching in the Heartland" by James H. Madison about a dozen years ago. …
- Ron: Sky Above, Mud Below by Tom Russell is another.
- Jack Williams: Another Othis Taylor song from White African is "My Soul's in Louisiana."
- Jack Williams: Lynch Blues - Corey Harris Countrycide (The Ballad of Ed and Charlie Brown) - Alvin Youngblood Hart Divine Object of Hatred - …
- TexasVet: Marty Robbins - The Hanging Tree https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xczpRc6_yBA
- Janice Brooks: Nice lineup I think I read today was the Emmett Till incident.
- Juli Thanki: For $2,000, I'd want to ride a unicorn in Central Park with Chely.