There is nothing subtle about a couple of guys in white linen suits urgently beckoning in front of a twelve-foot, candy-apple red, plywood devil and a hellfire-and-brimstony rock pile. That jarring scene graced the cover of the Louvin Brothers’ 1959 album em>Satan Is Real, and its twelve songs were hardly any more subtle in their […]
The 2010 George Strait tour with Reba McEntire just got a little more can’t-miss with the addition of Lee Ann Womack. Sugar Hill Records compiled a list of its top 50 must-have tracks from the past three decades and made them available for download through iTunes for a mere $19.99. The list includes stalwarts like […]
Jack White is scheduled to produce a forthcoming album for Wanda Jackson. Trace Adkins is the new celebrity spokesperson for BC Headache Powder. The only other country artist the company has worked with in its 100-year history is Faron Young. The title track to Jerry Lee Lewis‘ recent EP release, Mean Old Man, was written […]
My original intent was to write a Friday Five in honor of Guy Fawkes Night; however, there are few songs about plotting to blow up Parliament. So instead, we’ll be looking at another important historical event. This November marks the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall. Here are five of country music’s […]
George Strait and Reba McEntire are going on tour together. String Theory Media’s Craig Havighurst highlighted a NPR feature that argues that charts might be measuring the wrong thing, and because of that, they mean less today than they did in the past. They’ve always been something of an illusion, a contrivance meant to serve […]
This is Paul Dennis with the 9513 speaking with Gene Watson, whose new album A Taste of the Truth is being released on Shanachie Records. I think it comes out today, doesn’t it Gene? GW: It was released yesterday, Paul. PAUL W. DENNIS: I’ve had the chance to listen to it. It has a wide […]
Here are some more songs that I like; one song per artist, not necessarily his or her biggest hit. As always, I consider myself free to comment on other songs by the artist. “Arkansas”– Teddy & Doyle Wilburn (1972) The last chart hit for a duo that was of more importance as businessmen than as […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.