Merle Haggard’s Recording Bucket List; Farewell Drifters Personnel Changes; The History of “Hillbilly Boogie”
Merle Haggard answered reader questions on No Depression, and he reveals that “I’ve recorded with about everyone I’ve ever wanted to, except for Kris Kristofferson. We’ve played together, but never recorded together. We’ve talked about it. I’d love to hear some of the new kids, like Miranda Lambert, record some of my songs.” Craig Havighurst […]
“What I live for is a chance to change and be everything I can be,” states Merle Haggard on “What I Hate,” one of 11 tracks off his new album Working in Tennessee. It’s a simple statement that’s easier said than done, but one that Haggard – with nearly 50 studio albums, more than five […]
People Magazine has a brand new country music edition on newsstands featuring Lady Antebellum. To celebrate the new edition, they’re giving away a free download featuring some big hitters including: Ronnie Dunn, Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Jake Owen, Terri Clark, Matraca Berg, JT Hodges, Bradley Gaskin, and Sonia Leigh. Drew Kennedy has a cool and […]
With Hurricane Irene all finished up from last week’s tear-up of the East Coast, it seemed only fitting to dedicate a Friday Five in her honor. When everything is all said and done, that little meteorological hussy is going to have caused billions of dollars of damage and lost revenues. “Goodnight Irene” is a famous […]
5. “Who’s Gonna Build Your Wall” – Tom Russell Here Russell contemplates the construction of a wall on the U.S.-Mexico border and asks what would happen should “Uncle Sam [send] the illegals” home: “Who’s gonna mow your lawn?/Who’s gonna cook your Mexican food/When your Mexican maid is gone?” Russell sings that he “ain’t got no […]
Happy June, everybody. Summer’s in the air and it seems like everywhere you look, flowers are blooming uncontrollably. As it turns out, June’s birth flower is the rose. Thus, that’s the theme for this month’s playlist. There are literally hundreds of songs that fit this topic (more if you count songs about women named Rose, […]
Willie Nelson releases albums like most people change their underpants. For the most part, that’s a good thing. He’s had some missteps along the way, but his recent offerings (Willie and the Wheel, American Classic, and Two Men with the Blues) rank as some of the best work in his long and storied career. Produced […]
Tomorrow would have been Johnny Russell’s 70th birthday (he passed away in 2001). He was well-known for performing hits like “Rednecks, White Socks, and Blue Ribbon Beer” and “Catfish John,” but today’s Friday Five features my favorite Russell-penned songs that have been recorded by other artists. Honorable Mention: In a Mansion Stands My Love – […]
A lifetime spent listening to music has taught me a lot about Saturday night. It is, for example, all right for fighting or going to the movies, not to mention a good night to simultaneously keep dancing to the rock and roll and work on one’s spelling, and those are just the pop songs. Nobody […]
This September, The 9513 is saluting one of our favorite topics: truckin’. We had a list long as Route 66, but after much debate, narrowed it down to 40 artists and 40 songs. Though there is a fair amount of women truck drivers, this list is Y chromosome heavy. You won’t find too many ballads […]
- Jack: The Everly Brothers "Song Our Daddy Taught Us" and "Roots" LPs look good.
- Juli Thanki: Indeed, Richie. Leslie Knope is my spirit animal.
- Six String Richie: That Parks & Rec. clip was perfection! Everybody reading this blog should watch it even if they don't watch the …
- Ben Foster: I'm coveting Dolly Parton's "Blue Smoke" 45.
- Barry Mazor: Speculation is free!
- Jack: Taste of Country has a pretty shallow point of view, and this little blurb is exhibit A.
- Leeann Ward: It is admittedly fun to speculate about these things.
- luckyoldsun: I wonder if the key to learning Gong Kwon Yu Sul is to be higher than a kite. lol
- luckyoldsun: Barry, I didn't say or imply that I have superior knowledge about the nominating process or workings--I'm just willing to make …
- CraigR.: After watching Easton Corbin's video I am left wondering where the man who made " I'm A Little Bit More …