Many artists across Nashville and beyond are mourning the passing of Station Inn fixture Ann Soyars. She was 67. Gretchen Peters unveiled “When All You Got Is a Hammer” from forthcoming album Blackbirds (out February 10). The 20th Annual ICM Faith, Family and Country Awards were held late last week in Nashville. Chuck Hancock, Russ Murphy, Carrie Underwood, Alan […]
“I don’t want no headstone on my grave,” Jerry Lee Lewis informed us from his undisturbed piano bench on stage at the Ryman, October 4th. “I deserve a monument!” He was still toying with the keys, and had just finished wailing the bluesy Charlie Rich song “Don’t Put No Headstone on My Grave,” as he’s […]
Jack L. Solomon Passes Away; Americana Acts Salute Springsteen; WAMU Bluegrass Country Celebrates 47th Anniversary
Jack L. Solomon a guitarist who played with George Jones and on recordings for Dolly Parton, Ernest Tubb, Webb Pierce, Melba Montgomery (to whom he was married) and more, passed away on June 24. He was 71. The controversy surrounding Studio A and Music Row continues. Harold Bradley wrote an letter to the Metro City […]
Last column, I alerted you to the new Shanachie DVD release You Are There, since released, which puts some of the hard-to-find and legitimately collected filmed performances of traditionalist country artists such as the Louvin Brothers and Sam & Kirk McGee on one disc. Those performances were culled from the 92 half hours of what […]
Willie Nelson, AKUS Announce Co-Headlining Tour; Montreal Gets Country Radio Station; New Music Videos
Willie Nelson and Alison Krauss & Union Station featuring Jerry Douglas announced that they will co-headline a tour together beginning May 1 in Murray, Kentucky. Kacey Musgraves, Jason Isbell, and The Devil Makes Three will join the tour for select dates. Garth Brooks graciously sent off Jay Leno on The Tonight Show with “The Dance” […]
Randy Travis, Joe Nichols to Release Albums in October; Stream Stuart Duncan/Dolly Parton Collaboration; Album Releases
Randy Travis will release Influence, Vol. 1: The Man I Am on October 1. On this album, he’ll look back at “songs and artists that were instrumental in crafting his musical career;” the track listing includes “Thanks a Lot,” “Saginaw, Michigan,” and “Someday We’ll Look Back.” (via press release) Joe Nichols’ next album, Crickets, is […]
Ryan Adams to Release New Album in Fall; “Honor Thy Song” Concert to Remember Songwriter Tim Johnson; Taylor Swift Named RIAA’s Top-Selling Digital Singles Artist
Ryan Adams will release a new album in the fall. Steve Chandler is working with Merle Haggard and Mac Wiseman and mixing a “country-bluegrass” record. Donna Ulisse wants you in her next video. On May 7, the Ryman will host “Honor Thy Song,” an event to celebrate the late songwriter Tim Johnson. Joey + Rory, […]
Engine 145.com is an American roots music blog, and for all of our regular emphasis on country, Americana, bluegrass and occasional roots rock, it’s impossible to cover this arena without bringing up the blues. Without blues, all of those genres would have developed along a whole lot more one-note and delicate lines, if they’d been […]
Kellie Pickler and her label, Sony Music Nashville, have parted ways. Says her manager, “Kellie’s contract with Sony came to an end and they mutually decided not to renew.” Kelly Dearmore interviewed Merle Haggard. An excerpt: “I don’t ever want to insult anyone. I have six children, and if I brag about one of them, […]
CMT Music Awards Winners; Free Tift Merritt Download; Ernest Tubb Record Shops Celebrate 65th Anniversary
Thompson Square, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Scotty McCreery, and Lady Antebellum took home buckles at last night’s CMT Music Awards. Country California posted videos of the evening’s best performances by the Zac Brown Band, Pistol Annies, and a few others. Tift Merritt is offering a free download of an […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...