Ryan Adams to Release New Album in Fall; “Honor Thy Song” Concert to Remember Songwriter Tim Johnson; Taylor Swift Named RIAA’s Top-Selling Digital Singles Artist
Ryan Adams will release a new album in the fall. Steve Chandler is working with Merle Haggard and Mac Wiseman and mixing a “country-bluegrass” record. Donna Ulisse wants you in her next video. On May 7, the Ryman will host “Honor Thy Song,” an event to celebrate the late songwriter Tim Johnson. Joey + Rory, [...]
Engine 145.com is an American roots music blog, and for all of our regular emphasis on country, Americana, bluegrass and occasional roots rock, it’s impossible to cover this arena without bringing up the blues. Without blues, all of those genres would have developed along a whole lot more one-note and delicate lines, if they’d been [...]
Kellie Pickler and her label, Sony Music Nashville, have parted ways. Says her manager, “Kellie’s contract with Sony came to an end and they mutually decided not to renew.” Kelly Dearmore interviewed Merle Haggard. An excerpt: “I don’t ever want to insult anyone. I have six children, and if I brag about one of them, [...]
CMT Music Awards Winners; Free Tift Merritt Download; Ernest Tubb Record Shops Celebrate 65th Anniversary
Thompson Square, Carrie Underwood, Brad Paisley, Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, Jason Aldean, Scotty McCreery, and Lady Antebellum took home buckles at last night’s CMT Music Awards. Country California posted videos of the evening’s best performances by the Zac Brown Band, Pistol Annies, and a few others. Tift Merritt is offering a free download of an [...]
Back when I was researching and writing my book Meeting Jimmie Rodgers, at least one friend misheard what I was doing and thought I was dedicating years of work to Kenny Rogers. There were a lot of polite, puzzled “Is that so’s” and ‘How ’bout that’s.” These two artists strike so many people as so very different that they [...]
Country fans have long since noticed (and sometimes complained) that the ACM and CMA awards shows feature pretty much the same star acts and hits of the year. That was hardly the case back in the mid-1960s, as pointed out in the Country Hall of Fame and Museum’s major new exhibition, The Bakersfield Sound: Buck Owens, [...]
On this day back in 1968, Johnny Cash reignited his career by doing a live recording of two shows at Folsom State Prison. Cash’s career had nearly flamed out with drug abuse problems. His song, “Folsom Prison Blues,” was 13 years old at the time of the concert and was the inspiration for the album [...]
Merle Haggard’s Recording Bucket List; Farewell Drifters Personnel Changes; The History of “Hillbilly Boogie”
Merle Haggard answered reader questions on No Depression, and he reveals that “I’ve recorded with about everyone I’ve ever wanted to, except for Kris Kristofferson. We’ve played together, but never recorded together. We’ve talked about it. I’d love to hear some of the new kids, like Miranda Lambert, record some of my songs.” Craig Havighurst [...]
“What I live for is a chance to change and be everything I can be,” states Merle Haggard on “What I Hate,” one of 11 tracks off his new album Working in Tennessee. It’s a simple statement that’s easier said than done, but one that Haggard – with nearly 50 studio albums, more than five [...]
People Magazine has a brand new country music edition on newsstands featuring Lady Antebellum. To celebrate the new edition, they’re giving away a free download featuring some big hitters including: Ronnie Dunn, Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Jake Owen, Terri Clark, Matraca Berg, JT Hodges, Bradley Gaskin, and Sonia Leigh. Drew Kennedy has a cool and [...]
- Luckyoldsun: Sounds good. Is she--or her husband--related to Dallas? (I'll assume not to Joe.)
- Luckyoldsun: R-- Sounds like you're expanding your palate. "60′s style California hippie vibe" sounds like something you'd have banned from your playlist.
- Rick: I like the production, the excellent guitar picking, and Rebecca has a nice voice with individuality, but the song structure ...
- Rick: That Buddy Emmons tribute album sounds kinda interesting. I just might have to give it a listen when it's available. Congratulations ...
- Jon: Jack Bernhardt is the bomb.
- Bruce: Good article on Rucker. I do not care for all his songs and he is far from my favorite. I ...
- Kelly D.: Dig the Whiskey Sisters and the write-up from ol' Jim C.
- Bruce: "Why do people talk about the authenticity and/or genuineness of others with whom they’ve had no direct, normal social interaction ...
- Luckyoldsun: Hank III says "Old Junior once said it best,"--Is that some sort of rapprochement in the Williams family soap opera? It's ...
- Joan Harrison: Hi, My husband and I really enjoy watching your show each week. You had a recipe on for pork ...