Songwriters: Eric Church, Marv Green Like a rattlesnake’s trademark warning, Eric Church’s new single “Creepin’” starts off like a spare, swampy threat. With only an acoustic guitar and a tangle of vocal effects, Church sets an ominous tone for a love story fit for a Louisiana voodoo queen. Of course, it’s only a matter of [...]
Two Pete Seeger Albums Due in Sept.; Brad and Carrie to Host the CMA Awards Again; Seth Avett Remembers Doc Watson
Coming out September 25: Pete Seeger albums A More Perfect Union and Pete Remembers Woody. The former is full of new material written with Lorre Wyatt and features guests like Emmylou Harris and Bruce Springsteen. The latter is a two-disc set celebrating Woody Guthrie with songs and anecdotes. Ben Foster did a fine interview with [...]
There were a lot of disappointed and angry country music fans in Northern California yesterday when the three-day Jukebox Music Festival was abruptly shut down by the promoter on the final day. From Alan Jackson’s Facebook page: Following early morning e-mails from the promoter of the Jukebox Music Festival, Alan Jackson will not be performing [...]
Perry Baggs Passes Away; “Somethin’ ‘Bout a Truck” Goes Platinum, Video Premieres from Alejandro Escovedo, Chatham County Line
Perry Baggs, longtime drummer for Jason & The Scorchers (he left the band in 2003), passed away at the age of 50. Paste premiered videos from Alejandro Escovedo and Chatham County Line. Peter Cooper talks with Old Crow Medicine Show’s Ketch Secor for a Tennessean feature. The band’s new album, Carry Me Back, is due [...]
Tim McGraw To Tape Austin City Limits Episode; Canadian Country Music HoF Announces 2012 Inductees; New Music Videos
Richard Thompson, Bonnie Raitt and Booker T. Jones will receive Lifetime Achievement Awards at the Americana Music Association Awards in Nashville this September. The Huffington Post has strong praise for Chely Wright’s new documentary: “Wish Me Away is a powerful, important film of heartbreak and triumph that I honestly believe will save lives, providing gay kids [...]
Eric Church’s Chief Goes Platinum; How Listeners Shape Music Evolution; Chatham County Line Video Premiere
Listen to “Getting’ Down on the Mountain,” a new Corb Lund song. Kathleen Edwards, Sara Watkins, and Trampled By Turtles made NPR’s listener-voted list of the year’s best albums to date. Phil Barton talks to American Songwriter about one of his co-writes, Lee Brice’s “A Woman Like You.” The song “was recorded the actual night [...]
Carrie Underwood Speaks Out in Support of Gay Marriage; The Trishas’ Full-Length Debut Album Due Aug. 7; Album Releases
Carrie Underwood spoke out in support of gay marriage during an interview with The Independent. This week, the music video for Glen Campbell’s “A Better Place” will be released. It’ll “offer a retrospective look at Campbell’s career, and will feature a cameo by Queens of the Stone Age frontman Joshua Homme.” The producers of The [...]
Jason Isbell Leads Americana Music Awards Nominations; Buddy Rogers Passes Away; Big Machine Label Group Adds Music Publishing
Jason Isbell leads the Americana Music Awards nominations, with four. Gillian Welch was next, with three nominations. Chet Flippo remembers Doc and Merle Watson: I interviewed Doc with his son Merle (named for Merle Travis) for Rolling Stone a couple of years later, and it turned out to be a delightful time with Doc. He [...]
With the success of Jason Aldean, Brantley Gilbert, Eric Church and the like, it was only a matter of time before new outlaws would start to pop up. Kip Moore represents Version 2.0 of the Outlaw Movement (3.0 if you want to go all the way back to the Willie/Waylon Era). The rough edges are [...]
Willie Nelson, Pistol Annies to Perform at CMT Awards; Tim McGraw to Give Homes to Veterans; Keller Williams and The Travelin’ McCourys Team Up for New Album
The Country Music Association announced that the 46th Annual CMA Awards will be held on November 1 and broadcast live on ABC. Patsy Montana’s “I Want to Be a Cowboy’s Sweetheart” is another country music song being added to the Library of Congress’ National Recording Registry. Willie Nelson, The Pistol Annies, The Band Perry, Hank [...]
- Jon: Morgane Stapleton (nee Hayes) is all over Guy Clark's new album.
- Bruce: A sweet voice with great music.
- Jon: That's my favorite song of the bunch, too, but the whole album is solid.
- Barry Mazor: The assumption that everybody would be signed if only they could be no longer is necessarily so..Given the relatively much ...
- Luckyoldsun: Can't say I necessarily know who is or isn't signed, but I have no knowledge that any of the following ...
- Occasional Hope: Is Patty Loveless free now, since she's implied she doesn't seem to have any plans to record again, but perhaps ...
- Arlene: Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison's current terrific album, Cheater's Game, was financed via Kickstarter. If they are still unsigned, they'd ...
- KC: My picks seem to be doing ok without a label, but I would sign them even if it was just ...
- SCOOTER: Sturgill Simpson - fantastic artist Ashton Shepherd - I know she was recently dropped and a lot of people complain ...
- Daniel Mullins: Lee Ann Womack is a must. I would also sign Wyatt McCubbin. He was featured on The Music Inside: A Tribute ...