Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Kathy Mattea, and Radney Foster were a few of the artists who helped celebrate Bob Kingsley and his 40 years in country radio. The University of Chicago Press is offering Bob Reisman’s I Feel So Good: The Life and Times of Big Bill Broonzy as a free e-book. The New York […]
The March 2014 issue of Cowboys and Indians features an interview with Randy Poe, who put together the (highly recommended) Buck Owens autobiography, Buck ‘Em. Check out the Seldom Scene’s new version of “Hickory Wind” featuring Emmylou Harris. This cut will be included on the bluegrass band’s forthcoming record, Long Time…Seldom Scene, which is due […]
At E145 HQ, we’ve been listening to a lot of Amelia White, a singer-songwriter whose deeply personal Americana songs have appeared on shows like Justified and drawn comparisons to the works of Lucinda Williams and Mary Gauthier. We asked Amelia about the five records that influenced her while making her new album, Old Postcard (out […]
Emmylou’s Wrecking Ball Gets Deluxe Reissue; Dierks Bentley Documentary Due 2/22; New Album Releases
Nonesuch Records will release a three-disc (including a documentary DVD) expanded version of Emmylou Harris’ 1995 album Wrecking Ball on April 8. Harris also announced she and Daniel Lanois will be touring this spring to celebrate this reissue. The Tennessean‘s Nate Rau reports that, “Under current copyright law, songs recorded prior to Feb. 15, 1972, […]
Rhonda Vincent knows her way around a song, whether it’s a slow country shuffle drenched in steel guitars or a skittering bluegrass tune propelled by fiddles. A singer’s singer, her voice is the gold standard in bluegrass and country music, and on this new double album, Vincent not only demonstrates her vocal depth and breadth […]
Last night’s Grammy Awards results: Best Country Album: Kacey Musgraves – Same Trailer Different Park Best Country Song: Kacey Musgraves – “Merry Go Round” (Musgraves/Shane McAnally/Josh Osborne) Best Country Solo Performance: Darius Rucker – “Wagon Wheel” Best Country Duo/Group Performance: The Civil Wars – “From This Valley” Best Blues Album: Ben Harper with Charlie Musselwhite […]
Grammy Nominees Named; Ray Price in Final Stages of Cancer; Bluegrass Underground Announces Fourth Season Lineup
The country/bluegrass/Americana/folk Grammy nominees are: Best Country Solo Performance “I Drive Your Truck” — Lee Brice “I Want Crazy” — Hunter Hayes “Mama’s Broken Heart” — Miranda Lambert “Wagon Wheel” — Darius Rucker “Mine Would Be You” — Blake Shelton Best Country Duo/Group Performance “From This Valley” — The Civil Wars “Don’t Rush” — Kelly […]
Dolly Parton was involved in a car accident yesterday and sustained “minor injuries.” An official release date for her next album, Blue Smoke, hasn’t been announced yet, but we’ll keep you posted. On The Queen Latifah Show yesterday, Parton performed a song from her upcoming Lifetime Christmas movie. The 2013 CMA Broadcast Awards winners were […]
Ricky Skaggs Named CMHOF Artist-in-Residence; Alabama Music Hall of Fame Schedules Reopening; New Album Releases
The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum named Ricky Skaggs as its 2013 artist-in-residence. From the press release: Skaggs has chosen to perform two unique shows-each with its own theme and lineup of guest artists. The first show, November 18, will have a country music theme; Ricky’s special guests that night will include Emmylou […]
Opry Plans Birthday Bash; The Band Perry & Fall Out Boy Tape CMT Crossroads Episode; Country Radio Hall of Fame Inductees Named
The Opry’s birthday celebration on October 4-5 will include a concert by Steve Wariner. Also, there will be cake (not for you). A new episode of CMT Crossroads starring The Band Perry and Fall Out Boy will premiere November 29. In need of a good cry? The Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy blog premiered “Top of […]
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …