It’s been a fantastic year for country and roots/Americana music, and it was no easy task for us to narrow down the list of albums released in 2012 to just a few favorites, but, after a few weeks of voting, here’s what we came up with. Honorable Mentions that missed the cut by just a [...]
Dobro whiz Mike Auldridge passed away on December 29, a day before his 74th birthday. Here are obituaries from the Washington Post, MusicRow.com, The New York Times, and Bluegrass Today (which also posted a career overview). Eric Brace remembers Auldridge. As does Peter Cooper. CMT’s Edward Morris lists the “notable country music deaths” of 2012. [...]
Kellie Pickler Embarks on Sixth USO Tour; Ray Price, Willie Nelson Work on New Albums; Carrie Underwood Donates Concert Proceeds to Charity
Kellie Pickler embarked on her sixth USO Tour, entertaining service members in Afghanistan and aboard the USS John C. Stennis. Songs by Jerry Lee Lewis, Tom T. Hall, and Alejandro Escovedo made The A.V. Club’s list of “14 panicky works about growing older.” Vince Gill shows off his guitars in this video for Musician’s Friend. [...]
The Band Perry Premieres New Video; Underwood, Stringdusters Announce Tour Dates; New Christmas Music from Black Prairie & Sallie Ford
The Dallas Observer’s Kelly Dearmore lists the North Texas area’s ten best country songs of the year. Watch the new video for The Band Perry’s “Better Dig Two.” The Americana Music Association announced a new board of directors. Don Maddox will be recognized by Ashland, Oregon as part of his 90th Birthday Celebration, held on December [...]
It happens every week. Every Wednesday, when I post my variation of “Gone Fishing” on my Facebook page, announcing I am M-I-A because I will be facedown in ABC’s primetime drama, Nashville, the comments start piling up. About how the writing sucks, the plot blows, but especially, how dreadful the music is. I laugh. I’m not watching the [...]
ACM Makes Changes to New Artist Category; Rolling Stone Premieres New Rodney Crowell & Emmylou Harris Duet; Album Releases
Rick Blackburn, a retired record executive for CBS Records and Atlantic, who also served as president of the CMA’s board of directors and the organization’s chairman, passed away at the age of 70. The Academy of Country Music announced a few changes: it will award trophies in three individual newcomer categories, New Male Vocalist, New [...]
Frank Peppiatt, co-creator of Hee Haw, passed away on Wednesday at the age of 85. The iconic WSM radio tower turns 80. The station is celebrating tomorrow with an open house at the tower. Chet Flippo’s new Nashville Skyline column is all about artists he thinks are deserving of Hall of Fame induction, including Ray [...]
In non-internet life, our friend Kevin Coyne of Country Universe is an elementary school principal in the Rockaways, an area heavily hit by Hurricane Sandy. Many of his teachers, students, and staff were affected by the storm. Here’s how you can help if you’re so inclined. Thanks. Pandora sued ASCAP. Bloomberg.com reports: Pandora, which is [...]
Stream New Tracy Lawrence Single; IIIrd Tyme Out Partners with Cracker Barrel; Six Degrees of Reba McEntire
Bela Fleck talks about the New York Banjo Summit with Mary Sydnor of Philadelphia’s Daily News. Speaking of Fleck, here is an older YouTube video of his take on Saint-Saens’ delightfully spooky “Danse Macabre.” Listen to Canadian Country singer Daniel Romano’s song “Middle Child.” Rodney Crowell chats with the Philadelphia Inquirer’s Nick Cristiano about Kin and the [...]
Let’s just get this out of the way up front: Combining 16 stellar songs from one of music’s all-time best songwriters, adding on supremely talented artists such as Alison Krauss, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and George Strait, and putting traditional country torch-bearer Jamey Johnson at the helm leaves little room in an album review for [...]
- Jon: Good call on "Ring Them Bells," though.
- Jon: Now, I'll tell you what, you missed one of the very best, which is the Country Gentlemen's version of "Walking ...
- Arlene: There are so many terrific ones to choose from but with the classics by The Band and Hendrix already mentioned, ...
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I've always liked Dixie Chicks version of "Mississippi," which they released on their live album.
- Jeremy Dylan: There are many choice Dylan covers out there, but my picks of the bunch would be The Byrds take on ...
- Doug Gilliland: Can't say for sure if these artists are currently unsigned, but I would love to hear new material from Kathy ...
- Rick: Opry Alert! I'm guessing(?) tonight marks the end of the spring season of the Thursday Night Classic Country Opry shows ...
- bob: Thanks for the info on the PBS Carole King concert. It will be good to see Trisha Yearwood sing again.
- Jon: Nope.
- Luckyoldsun: Sounds good. Is she--or her husband--related to Dallas? (I'll assume not to Joe.)