Stream New Rodney Crowell, Bobby Bare Jr. Albums; Eric Church Announces Tour Dates; Walmart to Cut CD Stock
Stream Rodney Crowell’s fine new album, Tarpaper Sky, before its release next week. Bobby Bare Jr.’s record, Undefeated, is also streaming online. Last week we reported news of Arthur Smith’s passing. Today The New York Times published his obituary. Music City Roots is moving from the Loveless Café Barn to the Factory at Franklin. Trisha Yearwood’s […]
Johnny Cash’s Out Among the Stars debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Country Albums chart, selling 54,000 units in its first week. This is Cash’s second posthumous chart-topper. People has added a country music section to their website. Dolly Parton is playing Glastonbury this summer. Lyle Lovett performed on Conan. (warning: autoplay) Gladys Flatt, Lester’s […]
Austin City Limits Hall of Fame to Induct Willie Nelson; Kasey Chambers Returns to the Studio; New Album Releases
Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughan are the inaugural inductees into the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame. Buddy Guy, Lyle Lovett, and more will perform at the induction ceremony on April 26. Kasey Chambers is back in the studio working on a solo album. Stream Martina McBride’s Everlasting and Left Lane Cruiser’s Slingshot. If […]
Willie Watson to Release Solo Album; All for the Hall Nets $100K; New West/Normaltown Offer NoiseTrade Sampler
Sean Potts, one of the founding members of The Chieftains, passed away last month. He was 83. Willie Watson will release his solo debut, Folk Singer, Vol. 1, May 6. The record, which includes versions of songs like “Stewball” and “James Alley Blues,” was produced by David Rawlings. (via press release) Here’s a neat article […]
Sturgill Simpson’s Sophomore Album Due 5/13; Jean Shepard Working on Her Book; Infamous Stringdusters Release New Video
Jean Shepard has been working for quite a while on a book called Down Through the Years. Fingers crossed it gets released sooner rather than later. Sturgill Simpson’s Metamodern Sounds in Country Music will be released on May 13. Listen to “Living the Dream” and take a peek at the tracklisting (which includes a pretty […]
Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Kathy Mattea, and Radney Foster were a few of the artists who helped celebrate Bob Kingsley and his 40 years in country radio. The University of Chicago Press is offering Bob Reisman’s I Feel So Good: The Life and Times of Big Bill Broonzy as a free e-book. The New York […]
The March 2014 issue of Cowboys and Indians features an interview with Randy Poe, who put together the (highly recommended) Buck Owens autobiography, Buck ‘Em. Check out the Seldom Scene’s new version of “Hickory Wind” featuring Emmylou Harris. This cut will be included on the bluegrass band’s forthcoming record, Long Time…Seldom Scene, which is due […]
At E145 HQ, we’ve been listening to a lot of Amelia White, a singer-songwriter whose deeply personal Americana songs have appeared on shows like Justified and drawn comparisons to the works of Lucinda Williams and Mary Gauthier. We asked Amelia about the five records that influenced her while making her new album, Old Postcard (out […]
Emmylou’s Wrecking Ball Gets Deluxe Reissue; Dierks Bentley Documentary Due 2/22; New Album Releases
Nonesuch Records will release a three-disc (including a documentary DVD) expanded version of Emmylou Harris’ 1995 album Wrecking Ball on April 8. Harris also announced she and Daniel Lanois will be touring this spring to celebrate this reissue. The Tennessean‘s Nate Rau reports that, “Under current copyright law, songs recorded prior to Feb. 15, 1972, […]
Rhonda Vincent knows her way around a song, whether it’s a slow country shuffle drenched in steel guitars or a skittering bluegrass tune propelled by fiddles. A singer’s singer, her voice is the gold standard in bluegrass and country music, and on this new double album, Vincent not only demonstrates her vocal depth and breadth […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...