Americana Award Winners Announced; HoF to Extend Bakersfield Sound Exhibit; Stream New Blind Boys of Alabama & Patty Griffin Song
The winners of last night’s Americana Awards: Album of the Year: Old Yellow Moon, Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Artist of the Year: Dwight Yoakam Duo/Group of the Year: Emmylou Harris & Rodney Crowell Song of the Year: “Birmingham,” Shovels & Rope Emerging Artist: Shovels & Rope Instrumentalist of the Year: Larry Campbell Trailblazer Award: Old […]
There’s a new marker honoring Jimmie Rodgers in Asheville, North Carolina. Kellie Pickler’s next album, The Woman I Am, comes out November 12. (via press release) Don Schlitz, The Mavericks, and Lady Antebellum have been added to the lineup for tomorrow’s ACM Honors. Jens Kruger won the 2013 Steve Martin Prize for Excellence in Banjo […]
One of bluegrass’ most beloved artists, Ricky Skaggs has lived a blessed life, playing with Bill Monroe (when Skaggs was only six years old), Ralph Stanley, J.D. Crowe and the New South, Emmylou Harris’ Hot Band, and starting his own short-lived band, Boone Creek, which featured a young Vince Gill. In 1982, he became a […]
Stream New Willie & Dolly Duet; Chris Eldridge and Julian Lage Release EP; Peter Cooper Responds to Tom Petty’s Country Criticism
Rolling Stone premiered a new Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton duet from Nelson’s forthcoming duets record. Listen to their version of “From the Moon and Back” (written for the not-so-good Parton/Queen Latifah movie Joyful Noise, it’s the song that Dolly sings while she dances with Ghost Kristofferson) here. This is not news, but you need […]
Randy Travis Discharged from Hospital; “Lost” Patty Griffin Album Due in October; Stream Cale Tyson, Amanda Shires Records
Randy Travis was discharged from Baylor Heart Hospital yesterday and relocated to a physical therapy facility to continue his recovery. (via press release) Patty Griffin’s 2000 “lost album,” Silver Bell, will be released October 8. From American Songwriter: “The all-original songs spent about 13 years in catalog limbo, due in large part to a change […]
J.J. Cale, the Grammy winner who was a pioneer of the “Tulsa Sound,” passed away Friday night at the age of 74. His songs were performed/recorded by the likes of Johnny Cash, Tom Petty, and Waylon Jennings. The prolific Willie Nelson will release To All the Girls…, an album of duets with a stable of wonderful […]
Labels large and small have opted for highly seasonal release calendars that have a slew of new records coming out between mid-August and mid-September, like school lunchboxes. So I’m taking this column to offer some quick views and previews of several handfuls I’ve found notable. (“CDs” doesn’t nail it any more, and “releases” is giving […]
T-Model Ford Passes Away; David Nail, Westbound Rangers Release New Videos; What’s Up with Gibson Banjos?
T-Model Ford passed away yesterday. The influential bluesman was in his 90s and had been battling health issues for several years after suffering a series of strokes in 2010. Listen to a KEXP session Ford recorded in 2008. Emmylou Harris’ “Boulder to Birmingham” and Charlie Louvin’s “Ira” made The A.V. Club’s list of “songs that directly […]
Waylon Jennings would have celebrated his 76th birthday tomorrow (hopefully this extra day of notice will give you enough time to plan a proper tribute, whether it’s donating to The Waylon Jennings Fund for Diabetes Research, baking cupcakes–sugar-free, of course–or covering your Telecaster in leather). Today, let’s take a look at a few favorite duets […]
Naomi Judd Calls Out CMT Awards; Americana Fest Announces Performers; Newport Folk Festival Goes Way Over Yonder
Salon.com posted an excerpt from Michael Streissguth’s new book, Outlaw. Chris Stapleton: superhero? Adam Steffey’s New Primitive comes out next week. Our friend Kelly Dearmore wrote a lengthy feature on Zane Williams for the Dallas Observer. Country California posted a new Quotable Country. Stream Sturgill Simpson’s “Hero” on CMT Edge. In a letter to the editor posted on […]
- Janice Brooks: Hopes somebody gets those memos about drinking songs. Meanwhile I'm feeling a lot of slots with Bluegrass.
- Leeann: Great news about Ricky Skaggs and Sharon White's duet album! Absolutely appalling about the Keith Urban concert!! Both the rape and …
- bob: I found the Billboard article about country music radio needing an alcohol intervention interesting. Songwriter Adam Wright is quoted as …
- Matt: Definitely agree with C.M. about Maddie & Tae. Certainly not the tidal wave of change some claimed it is or …
- Dave D.: Good stuff, as always. My copy of Producing Country arrived yesterday, and it looks to be as good as …
- Scooter: I agree Holly Williams can do no wrong in my eyes. Such a good album and great to see live …
- Carrie Mclaughlin: Your my Hero Mr. Jim Lauderdale!!! Come to Alaska Please? hehehehe
- Jeremy Dylan: You should check it out Dave D. It's from the first (and strongest) season.
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.