Hard Working Americans to Release Documentary; MLB Pitcher Jake Peavy Covers Townes Van Zandt; Stream New Edgar Meyer & Chris Thile Album
Tom Riggs, founder of bluegrass label Pinecastle Records, passed away last Saturday. He was 78 years old. Watch Giants pitcher Jake Peavy and third base coach Tim Flannery (who has his own band, Tim Flannery & The Lunatic Fringe) cover Townes Van Zandt’s “Pancho and Lefty” in the stairwell of a Ritz-Carlton. The A.V. Club […]
Normally our Friday Fives revolve around silly topics, like “Country Singers Who Appeared on Sesame Street” or “Hookers with Hearts of Gold.” But today we’re going to look at a horrifying chapter in American history. You can find references to lynching in a number of blues, country, and folk songs: Bob Dylan’s “Desolation Row” alludes to […]
Ranger Doug reads more than you, is bored to tears by Gertrude Stein. Little Big Town unveiled the cover of their next album and announced several dates on their “Pain Killer Tour.” Read the introduction to Steve Lowenthal’s Dance of Death, a biography of John Fahey. Jason Isbell, Rodney Crowell, Valerie June, St. Paul & The Broken […]
The door definitely remains open for Taylor Swift to return to country music according to radio consulting firm Albright & O’Malley & Brenner’s “admittedly unscientific” poll of of 60 country music station programming executives. Mike O’Malley writes that, “By more than 4:1 the panel hoped that Taylor Swift would cut another country song in the future […]
Haggard Salutes Buddy Holly; Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer to Release New Album; Free Lera Lynn Download
Ray Benson played “Hot Like That” for American Songwriter. Listen to “High Life,” from Brad Paisley’s Moonshine in the Trunk. Paisley, Vince Gill, Charlie Worsham, and Sara Evans are among the guests who appear on the Doobie Brothers’ next record, Southbound, which comes out November 4. Billy Joe Shaver did another entertaining interview, this one […]
Ricky Skaggs, Sharon White to Release Duets Album; IBMA Announces Inaugural Film Festival; Music City Roots Celebrates Night Train to Nashville
Lee Ann Womack and Holly Williams are featured on the Tory Burch blog. The 615 premiered Billy Joe Shaver’s “The Git Go.” Check out Aoife O’Donovan and Nickel Creek’s Newport Folk Fest sets. (warning: autoplay) A 17-year-old girl was reportedly raped at Keith Urban’s recent Boston-area show where numerous hospitalizations and arrests for “alcohol-related issues” […]
Hot Rize will release When I’m Free, their first studio album in 24 years, on September 30. Listen to one of their new songs, “Blue is Fallin’,” here. There’s a video interview with Rodney Crowell on Yahoo’s Ram Country. Paul Thorn is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Randy Lewis wrote a fine feature […]
Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of The Ramones, passed away on July 11. In recent years, Ramone played in roots duo Uncle Monk. Warner Brothers has re-signed Dwight Yoakam, who’ll release a new album later in the year (one of the songs will be a cover of “Who’ll Stop the Rain”). He’s currently […]
Paul Thorn’s next album, Too Blessed to be Stressed, is due out August 19. Here’s the new video for his song “Everybody Needs Somebody.” In an interview for CelebStoner.com (yeah, you probably shouldn’t click that if you’re at work), Willie Nelson revealed that he and Kacey Musgraves are “going to do some recording together.” Nelson’s […]
Today is the 70th anniversary of D-Day, one of the most monumental events in history; but for this Friday Five, we’re going to go back a bit further in time: 2014 also marks the 100th anniversary of the beginning of World War I. Here are five songs that address the “war to end all wars.” […]
- Leeann Ward: Way to go to David Cantwell for getting a name drop! Great interview, Juli! Womack's new album is awesome! I've not always …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Great interview as always, Juli! The new album is fantastic. "Same Kind of Different" is my favorite cut although "Fly" is …
- Dave D.: Good interview. Looking forward to the new record, and particularly interested in hearing her version of Brennen Leigh's "Sleeping with …
- nm: I guess it's not surprising that a singer who gets her songs all over the place, the way Womack does, …
- SunsetPark: As a Pennsylvanian to this day, thanks for the list. I haven't heard the Quecreek song and so can't …
- Paul W Dennis: I would urge readers to check out the Billy Edd Wheeler salute on October 18, 2014. Billy Edd Wheeler is …
- Leeann Ward: I'm really liking Pink's folk duo song! I'm looking forward to the album!
- Donald: LOS, you made me giggle. Thank you.
- luckyoldsun: An in related news, an E.P.A. inspector is preparing to slap the cuffs on Nancy Jones tomorrow.
- luckyoldsun: Looks like old Lynn is not done saying "I beg your pardon..."