The New York Times published George Hamilton IV’s obituary today. Robert K. Oermann wrote one for MusicRow. Jim Ed Brown will release his first solo album in 30 years, In Style Again, on Plowboy Records in January. (via press release) Randy Travis attended a fundraiser in Denison, Tex. yesterday. The photos accompanying the article show […]
Blake Shelton will release Bringing Back the Sunshine on September 30. Ben Folds will be vacating Studio A after the new owners informed him that they will be increasing his rent 124%. Beville Dunkerley interviewed Jamie Lynn Spears for Rolling Stone Country. Keith Urban wrote a piece for The Tennessean asking for the preservation of […]
Don Light Passes Away; Michael Cleveland & Flamekeeper Announce New Album; L.A. Mag Publishes History of The Palomino
Don Light, who managed acts like Keith Whitley and Steve Wariner and also was a booking agent (he founded the first gospel music booking agency) and producer, passed away yesterday. This is neat: Los Angeles Magazine published an oral history of The Palomino, the famous honkytonk that hosted just about anybody who was anybody in […]
In what was promoted as his final live concert, George Strait set a record for the largest crowd for an indoor concert in North American history at AT&T Stadium in Dallas on Saturday night. More than 104,000 people were in attendance. Lionel Richie is plotting a sequel to his country duets album, Tuskegee. Check out the […]
Krauss, Gill to Join Swift for CMA Awards Performance; Outlaw Music Hall of Fame to Reveal Inductees; New Music Videos
Garth Brooks sent a cryptic email to his mailing list that has fans wondering if he’ll soon reveal news of a new album and tour: “The sevens have aligned. It has begun… Thank you for believing…love, g.” Kellie Pickler received the Warrior Award from the USO of North Carolina at their 9th Annual Salute to Freedom […]
Lonestar has a new single called “Party All Day.” George Ducas will release 4340 in late October. The album includes some co-writes with the likes of Radney Foster and Keifer Thompson. The couple that got married at the 2012 ACM Awards is naming their baby after Martina McBride. Sue Zalokar of Street Roots News interviewed […]
Bobby Bland passed away in Memphis yesterday at the age of 83. In The New York Times obituary, Bill Friskics-Warren writes, “Exhibiting a delicacy of phrasing and command of dynamics akin to those of the most urbane pop and jazz crooners, his intimate pleading left its mark on everyone from the soul singers Otis Redding […]
EPs seem to have grown in popularity this year, as several artists released fun-sized albums. Here are a few of our favorites. What were yours? Honorable Mentions that barely missed the Top 5: Punch Brothers, Ahoy; Brent Cobb, Brent Cobb; Dierks Bentley, Country & Cold Cans; Julie Roberts, Covered; Zoe Muth & The Lost High […]
Little Jimmy Dickens Turns 92; iTunes Offers Nashville Indie Spotlight Sampler; Zac Brown Band, Aldean Among World Music Awards Nominees
Little Jimmy Dickens turns 92 today. The Tennessean posted a career-spanning gallery of Dickens photos. Read this fine Jewly Hight interview with Connie Smith and Marty Stuart. Adam Gold of Rolling Stone interviewed T-Bone Burnett. Here’s an excerpt where Burnett talks about Nashville: The reason this show is important to me is that music is […]
Three critically well-received singles that barely dented the country charts, a finished but never released album, and eight plus years of grinding on the country radio wheel were some of the keys of Emily West’s time on Capitol Records. After “Blue Sky,” her duet with Keith Urban, peaked at #38 in 2010, there was a […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.