Gerry Goffin Passes Away; Rhiannon Giddens Plans Solo Album; New Book Celebrates the Telluride Bluegrass Festival
Songwriting legend Gerry Goffin passed away yesterday at the age of 75. What’s your favorite song that Goffin co-wrote? (I’m partial to “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” and The Byrds‘ version of “Goin’ Back.”) The project to restore Woody Guthrie’s childhood home in Okemah has hit a snag due to a financial dispute. The 615 […]
It’s so great to have Candi Staton back. Not that she ever went away, but on her new album, Life Happens, her voice resonates with a force that shouts “I’m here to tell you that bad stuff happens in life all the time, but that I’m happy and satisfied to be where I’m at.” On […]
James Alan Shelton Battles Cancer; Jamie Wilson Launches Fundraising Campaign for New Album; HBO Develops Bessie Smith Biopic
James Alan Shelton, one of Ralph Stanley’s Clinch Mountain Boys, was hospitalized recently. Doctors have diagnosed him with Stage IV cancer after they found malignant masses in his pancreas and bowel; they also said that the disease has spread to his liver. Shelton will undergo therapy and says he’ll continue playing with Stanley as long […]
Events and releases have conspired to put the Carter Family front and center for me through this past month. It’s not the iconic, commonly sentimentalized version of them that’s been brought into fresh focus, though—the domesticated diamonds in the rough, forever simple, down home in their Clinch Mountain “fold”— but the sometimes complicated, breathing, talented […]
Last column, I alerted you to the new Shanachie DVD release You Are There, since released, which puts some of the hard-to-find and legitimately collected filmed performances of traditionalist country artists such as the Louvin Brothers and Sam & Kirk McGee on one disc. Those performances were culled from the 92 half hours of what […]
Radney Foster’s Next Record Due in May; Watch How to Write a Banjo Concerto Trailer; New Album Releases
A third person died from injuries sustained in last week’s SXSW tragedy. Radney Foster will release Everything I Should Have Said on his own Devil’s River label May 13. (via press release) Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison announced a bunch of tour dates; according to a post on Willis’ Facebook page, the duo is gearing […]
Prine Diagnosed with Lung Cancer; Ralph and Nathan Stanley Plan Gospel Release; Nicki Bluhm Plays Conan
John Prine was diagnosed with lung cancer. Doctors caught it early and Prine will undergo surgery next month (his mid-December shows in Louisville have been postponed). Ronnie Dunn’s got a new video for “Kiss You There.” The Infamous Stringdusters have a new video too. Here’s “Night on the River.” Ronnie Fauss released a video for […]
Opry Plans Birthday Bash; The Band Perry & Fall Out Boy Tape CMT Crossroads Episode; Country Radio Hall of Fame Inductees Named
The Opry’s birthday celebration on October 4-5 will include a concert by Steve Wariner. Also, there will be cake (not for you). A new episode of CMT Crossroads starring The Band Perry and Fall Out Boy will premiere November 29. In need of a good cry? The Wall Street Journal’s Speakeasy blog premiered “Top of […]
Twenty years ago today, the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame inducted one of the strongest classes it’s ever had: Don Schlitz, Red Lane, and Conway Twitty. The Hall of Fame just opened a new permanent exhibition gallery as part of the opening of the new Music City Center in Nashville and these three artists are […]
Vikki Sallee Passes Away; Valerie June Plays Leno; Josh Abbott Band Releases “She Will Be Free” Trailer
Singer-songwriter Vikki Sallee Dillard passed away at the age of 72. An excerpt from her obituary, written by Robert K. Oermann: Vikki Sallee began her singing career over KWHN radio in Ft. Smith, Ark. As a teen, she performed with Bob Luman and Wanda Jackson. Jackson became her mentor, and Sallee sang with the Rock […]
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."
- A.B.: Janice - I saw that too and sent him a Tweet about it.