“I don’t want no headstone on my grave,” Jerry Lee Lewis informed us from his undisturbed piano bench on stage at the Ryman, October 4th. “I deserve a monument!” He was still toying with the keys, and had just finished wailing the bluesy Charlie Rich song “Don’t Put No Headstone on My Grave,” as he’s […]
There’s an excellent feature on Mac Wiseman (written by Barry Mazor) in The Wall Street Journal. Marty Stuart was on NPR’s Fresh Air. Listen to his lengthy interview with Terry Gross here. Stuart on his collection of country music memorabilia and artifacts: I know we’re a Monday morning town; we create the chart every Monday […]
This year’s ACM Honors, which will be held at the Ryman on September 9, will salute Kris Kristofferson and Dean Dillon (recipients of the Poet’s Award), Cowboy Jack Clement and Buck Owens (posthumous recipients of the Poet’s Award), Toby Keith and Ronnie Milsap (Career Achievement Awards), Carrie Underwood (Gene Weed Special Achievement Award) and several […]
Gerry Goffin Passes Away; Rhiannon Giddens Plans Solo Album; New Book Celebrates the Telluride Bluegrass Festival
Songwriting legend Gerry Goffin passed away yesterday at the age of 75. What’s your favorite song that Goffin co-wrote? (I’m partial to “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” and The Byrds‘ version of “Goin’ Back.”) The project to restore Woody Guthrie’s childhood home in Okemah has hit a snag due to a financial dispute. The 615 […]
It’s so great to have Candi Staton back. Not that she ever went away, but on her new album, Life Happens, her voice resonates with a force that shouts “I’m here to tell you that bad stuff happens in life all the time, but that I’m happy and satisfied to be where I’m at.” On […]
James Alan Shelton Battles Cancer; Jamie Wilson Launches Fundraising Campaign for New Album; HBO Develops Bessie Smith Biopic
James Alan Shelton, one of Ralph Stanley’s Clinch Mountain Boys, was hospitalized recently. Doctors have diagnosed him with Stage IV cancer after they found malignant masses in his pancreas and bowel; they also said that the disease has spread to his liver. Shelton will undergo therapy and says he’ll continue playing with Stanley as long […]
Events and releases have conspired to put the Carter Family front and center for me through this past month. It’s not the iconic, commonly sentimentalized version of them that’s been brought into fresh focus, though—the domesticated diamonds in the rough, forever simple, down home in their Clinch Mountain “fold”— but the sometimes complicated, breathing, talented […]
Last column, I alerted you to the new Shanachie DVD release You Are There, since released, which puts some of the hard-to-find and legitimately collected filmed performances of traditionalist country artists such as the Louvin Brothers and Sam & Kirk McGee on one disc. Those performances were culled from the 92 half hours of what […]
Radney Foster’s Next Record Due in May; Watch How to Write a Banjo Concerto Trailer; New Album Releases
A third person died from injuries sustained in last week’s SXSW tragedy. Radney Foster will release Everything I Should Have Said on his own Devil’s River label May 13. (via press release) Kelly Willis and Bruce Robison announced a bunch of tour dates; according to a post on Willis’ Facebook page, the duo is gearing […]
Prine Diagnosed with Lung Cancer; Ralph and Nathan Stanley Plan Gospel Release; Nicki Bluhm Plays Conan
John Prine was diagnosed with lung cancer. Doctors caught it early and Prine will undergo surgery next month (his mid-December shows in Louisville have been postponed). Ronnie Dunn’s got a new video for “Kiss You There.” The Infamous Stringdusters have a new video too. Here’s “Night on the River.” Ronnie Fauss released a video for […]
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.
- Donald: If you haven't heard...this one is a bit bizarre: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/johnny-cash-s-son-arrested-at-deer-lake-airport-after-removing-his-clothes-1.2814697?cmp=rss I think the link says almost all....