There’s this young couple out on a date who get arrested for trespassing near the airport, and they’re carted off in cuffs, but there’s just a certain way the squad car’s blue lights highlight her face and the guy confides “By the time they let us go—I was already gone.” That’s one of the […]
Aubrey Preston, the new owner of Studio A, discusses his plans for the building in an interview with The Tennessean’s Nate Rau: The first step, which will be consummated on Dec. 31 when Preston’s nonprofit group AMT Trust closes on the sale, was to put the property in a “safe harbor.” AMT Trust contracted to […]
“I don’t want no headstone on my grave,” Jerry Lee Lewis informed us from his undisturbed piano bench on stage at the Ryman, October 4th. “I deserve a monument!” He was still toying with the keys, and had just finished wailing the bluesy Charlie Rich song “Don’t Put No Headstone on My Grave,” as he’s […]
There’s an excellent feature on Mac Wiseman (written by Barry Mazor) in The Wall Street Journal. Marty Stuart was on NPR’s Fresh Air. Listen to his lengthy interview with Terry Gross here. Stuart on his collection of country music memorabilia and artifacts: I know we’re a Monday morning town; we create the chart every Monday […]
This year’s ACM Honors, which will be held at the Ryman on September 9, will salute Kris Kristofferson and Dean Dillon (recipients of the Poet’s Award), Cowboy Jack Clement and Buck Owens (posthumous recipients of the Poet’s Award), Toby Keith and Ronnie Milsap (Career Achievement Awards), Carrie Underwood (Gene Weed Special Achievement Award) and several […]
Gerry Goffin Passes Away; Rhiannon Giddens Plans Solo Album; New Book Celebrates the Telluride Bluegrass Festival
Songwriting legend Gerry Goffin passed away yesterday at the age of 75. What’s your favorite song that Goffin co-wrote? (I’m partial to “Will You Love Me Tomorrow” and The Byrds‘ version of “Goin’ Back.”) The project to restore Woody Guthrie’s childhood home in Okemah has hit a snag due to a financial dispute. The 615 […]
It’s so great to have Candi Staton back. Not that she ever went away, but on her new album, Life Happens, her voice resonates with a force that shouts “I’m here to tell you that bad stuff happens in life all the time, but that I’m happy and satisfied to be where I’m at.” On […]
James Alan Shelton Battles Cancer; Jamie Wilson Launches Fundraising Campaign for New Album; HBO Develops Bessie Smith Biopic
James Alan Shelton, one of Ralph Stanley’s Clinch Mountain Boys, was hospitalized recently. Doctors have diagnosed him with Stage IV cancer after they found malignant masses in his pancreas and bowel; they also said that the disease has spread to his liver. Shelton will undergo therapy and says he’ll continue playing with Stanley as long […]
Events and releases have conspired to put the Carter Family front and center for me through this past month. It’s not the iconic, commonly sentimentalized version of them that’s been brought into fresh focus, though—the domesticated diamonds in the rough, forever simple, down home in their Clinch Mountain “fold”— but the sometimes complicated, breathing, talented […]
Last column, I alerted you to the new Shanachie DVD release You Are There, since released, which puts some of the hard-to-find and legitimately collected filmed performances of traditionalist country artists such as the Louvin Brothers and Sam & Kirk McGee on one disc. Those performances were culled from the 92 half hours of what […]
- Leeann Ward: Interesting! I just got an email from Amozon saying that they cancelled my preorder of Jamey Johnson's Christmas album due …
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …