Capitol to Reissue Okie From Muskogee; Country Music Photo Exhibit Coming to L.A.; Ralph Peer Biography Due in November
Capitol Records will re-release Merle Haggard’s 1969 album Okie from Muskogee on March 25. The remastered, two-CD set will include out-of-print live album The Fightin’ Side of Me (1970), which was recorded in Philadelphia. (via press release) The Whites celebrated 30 years as Opry members. Qello is like Netflix, but solely focused on concert films and […]
Valerie June’s utterly irresistible music fits in the sweet spot of a Dolly Parton-Elizabeth Cotten-Mississippi John Hurt-Erykah Badu Venn diagram. Her new album, Pushin’ Against the Stone–produced by Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Peter Sabak, and Kevin Augunas, and featuring guest artists like Booker T. Jones, and recorded in Nashville, Van Nuys, and Hungary–combines June’s […]
Alice Gerrard’s first solo album in ten years is the product of peer pressure and a chocolate addiction. Produced by Laurie Lewis, Bittersweet, the title of which was inspired by an empty candy wrapper on Gerrard’s kitchen table—where she does the vast majority of her songwriting—is another fine addition to the storied, 50-year career of […]
Healing in the Heartland Benefit Concert Airs Tomorrow; Developers Want to Demolish Bob Wills’ Triple B Ranch; Album Releases
Blake Shelton’s Healing in the Heartland Oklahoma benefit concert airs on NBC tomorrow night at 9:00 Eastern. It’ll also be broadcast on Style, CMT, E!, G4, and Bravo. Performers include Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Reba, and Vince Gill. Jody Rosen wrote an excellent profile on Shane McAnally for The New York Times. A developer has obtained a […]
Kix Brooks to Host Overnight Radio Show; Bankesters Premiere New Video; How Does Americana Stay True?
Wall Street Journal music critic Jim Fusilli wrote a fine article called “How Americana Stays True.” An excerpt: Will the Americana movement succumb to the temptation to dumb down, or gloss up, its music to appeal to a wider audience? It seems unlikely. The AMA’s 1,600 members, many of whom are Americana musicians, control its […]
- mrsandy: Also worth noting: Priscilla Mitchell was Jerry Reed's widow.
- Leeann Ward: Wow! My heart goes out to Allison Moorer. She's had so many terrible things happen in her life. It's too …
- Leeann Ward: I must have this audio book!
- Juli Thanki: Ha! Same thing happened at Sturgill Simpson's show I went to last month, only he was singing "I Never Go …
- Dave D.: On the topic of Lee Ann and dark songs, the funniest moment at this year's Americana Fest was during her …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I love Lori McKenna. Coming from Massachusetts, she's our local girl. I've been fortunate to see her in concert a …
- bll: I suss her re-recording her hits for 'Gwendolen records' means she can stop MCA from releasing her hits against her.
- Greg Judy: Cooler festivals and marching bands at the football games!
- kevin ilinger: Fall colors bluegrass and apple cider
- luckyoldsun: If I was a "long-time fan" of Trisha, I'd probably spring for the CD.