Capitol to Reissue Okie From Muskogee; Country Music Photo Exhibit Coming to L.A.; Ralph Peer Biography Due in November
Capitol Records will re-release Merle Haggard’s 1969 album Okie from Muskogee on March 25. The remastered, two-CD set will include out-of-print live album The Fightin’ Side of Me (1970), which was recorded in Philadelphia. (via press release) The Whites celebrated 30 years as Opry members. Qello is like Netflix, but solely focused on concert films and […]
Valerie June’s utterly irresistible music fits in the sweet spot of a Dolly Parton-Elizabeth Cotten-Mississippi John Hurt-Erykah Badu Venn diagram. Her new album, Pushin’ Against the Stone–produced by Dan Auerbach (The Black Keys), Peter Sabak, and Kevin Augunas, and featuring guest artists like Booker T. Jones, and recorded in Nashville, Van Nuys, and Hungary–combines June’s […]
Alice Gerrard’s first solo album in ten years is the product of peer pressure and a chocolate addiction. Produced by Laurie Lewis, Bittersweet, the title of which was inspired by an empty candy wrapper on Gerrard’s kitchen table—where she does the vast majority of her songwriting—is another fine addition to the storied, 50-year career of […]
Healing in the Heartland Benefit Concert Airs Tomorrow; Developers Want to Demolish Bob Wills’ Triple B Ranch; Album Releases
Blake Shelton’s Healing in the Heartland Oklahoma benefit concert airs on NBC tomorrow night at 9:00 Eastern. It’ll also be broadcast on Style, CMT, E!, G4, and Bravo. Performers include Shelton, Miranda Lambert, Reba, and Vince Gill. Jody Rosen wrote an excellent profile on Shane McAnally for The New York Times. A developer has obtained a […]
Kix Brooks to Host Overnight Radio Show; Bankesters Premiere New Video; How Does Americana Stay True?
Wall Street Journal music critic Jim Fusilli wrote a fine article called “How Americana Stays True.” An excerpt: Will the Americana movement succumb to the temptation to dumb down, or gloss up, its music to appeal to a wider audience? It seems unlikely. The AMA’s 1,600 members, many of whom are Americana musicians, control its […]
- Dave W.: Just read the news here. Will miss E145 very much - love this site. All the best to you Juli …
- Leeann Ward: Oh, dang! This is real. Farewell to the most generous, informative, quality, intelligent, consistent, ethical country music blog! You …
- bll: Thanks Juli for all the great articles and information; you'll be missed by me and I suss several others. Best …
- Both Kinds of Music: I hope people appreciate the irony that one of the best "Americana" albums is titled Metamodern Sounds in COUNTRY Music.
- Barry Mazor: I would not rule out that possibility..There's a different set of voters involved..
- Dana M: Does anyone else think that Brandy Clark actually has a good chance of winning since this isn't a country awards …
- Juli Thanki: UPDATE: Brandy Clark got a Best New Artist nom. BEST AMERICANA ALBUM: Rosanne Cash -- The River & The Thread John Hiatt -- Terms …
- luckyoldsun: Glenn Campbell is great and I'd love to see him get an award, but the words of that song may …
- Casey Penn: Juli, it was an honor to write for you here on Engine145.com. You're good at what you do, and The …
- bob: Go Brandy FGL - Just go away.