Zooey Deschanel to Play Loretta Lynn in “Coal Miner’s Daughter” Stage Adaptation; Kenny Rogers Signs with Warner Bros., Goat Rodeo Sessions Hit PBS
Zooey Deschanel will play Loretta Lynn in a stage adaptation of Coal Miner’s Daughter: Lynn announced the casting and musical during a performance at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville on Thursday, where she was joined onstage by Deschanel. The two then sang the country music singer’s signature song, “Coal Miner’s Daughter.” “It’s a long way from [...]
Everett Lilly Passes Away; Elizabeth Cook Records Gospel EP; Ralph Emery Inducted Into Tenn. Radio Hall of Fame
Everett Lilly (The Lilly Brothers) passed away at the age of 87. Lionel Richie’s Tuskegee has been certified platinum. Due out June 19: Ruby Jane’s Celebrity (Empire of Emptiness). Yesterday evening, Elizabeth Cook tweeted “Can’t believe Im sayin this, but I’m in RCA studio Making a Gospel EP! Holy hell.” Ralph Emery was inducted into the [...]
Keeping up with the sheer volume of new releases that might be of interest to people reading this column is always a challenge, practically impossible, and while I don’t plan to do it often, I figure that one way to play some catch-up here is just to line up some brief comments on recent releases [...]
For those that haven’t had the privilege of hearing anything from Chelle Rose’s new album, The Ghost of Browder Holler (due May 1), listen to these ingredients that make up the music. First, you take multiple generations of Appalachian family members and the stories that are passed on down from each one. We’re not talking [...]
Willie Nelson’s Heroes Drops May 15; Reba’s GAC Concert Special Premieres Tomorrow; Bluegrass Meets Big Band
Heroes, Willie Nelson’s first album for Legacy, will be released on May 15. Snoop Dogg, Lukas Nelson, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Billy Joe Shaver, Jamey Johnson, and Micah Nelson all appear on the record. This week, Amazon offered albums by Lady Antebellum and others for 25 cents. Chet Flippo talks about the ramifications in his [...]
Swift and Aldean to Perform at Grammys; New Music From Kathleen Edwards, Moot Davis and Angela Easterling
How does Dolly Parton manage to escape fashion criticism? The folks at Jezebel have an idea: [S]he’s so fantastic that the peanut gallery cannot find it within themselves to hate on her. Nobody wants to genuinely critique or criticize Dolly Parton because she’s universally loved for her unabashed tackiness. She rolls around in sequins, embellished [...]
If you missed the CMA Awards, check out our Live Blog, or read the complete list of winners here. Chuck Mead has started a Kickstarter for his upcoming album, which will feature his band The Grassy Knoll Boys, legendary Nashville session musicians, and folks like Bobby Bare and Elizabeth Cook. Check out the trailer, which [...]
Willie Nelson Plans New Album; Free Trampled By Turtles Download; Dry Branch Fire Squad Celebrates 35 Years
The Soggy Bottom Boys and Tim Blake Nelson have made a music video for “In the Jailhouse Now” to celebrate the 10th anniversary of O Brother. Willie Nelson told CelebStoner.com that he plans on releasing a record called Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die in January 2012. Nashville bass player Chris Kent [...]
Opry Celebrates 86 Years; Brad Paisley Visits Sesame Street; Billy Burnette To Be Inducted Into Rockabilly HoF
Barry Mazor’s got a feature in the Wall Street Journal in which Holly Williams and Alan Jackson offer their thoughts on The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams. Jean Shepard, Connie Smith, Dierks Bentley, Chris Young, and more are helping the Opry celebrate its 86th Birthday Bash. In other Opry news, Randy Travis celebrated his 25 [...]
Rascal Flatts Invited to Join Opry; Ryan Adams Announces New Tour Dates; Chris Pandolfi Delivers IBMA Keynote Address
Rascal Flatts was invited to join the Grand Ole Opry last night. Next Wednesday (October 5), Elizabeth Cook will be on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. On the 9th, the episode of Squidbillies on which she voiced the character of “Tammi” and covered the show’s theme song will air. Other news from the [...]
- KC: My picks seem to be doing ok without a label, but I would sign them even if it was just ...
- SCOOTER: Sturgill Simpson - fantastic artist Ashton Shepherd - I know she was recently dropped and a lot of people complain ...
- Daniel Mullins: Lee Ann Womack is a must. I would also sign Wyatt McCubbin. He was featured on The Music Inside: A Tribute ...
- Ken Morton, Jr.: BTW- Julie's been in the recording studio all this past week and will be unveiling something new soon.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Jonathan, I actually had this exact conversation with Julie Roberts a couple weeks ago. She came out with Emily West, ...
- Jack Williams: The first name that came to my mind was electic bluesman Alvin Youngblood Hart. He hasn't released a proper ...
- bob: There was a survey by cmt.com dated 3/31/10 which showed more than 175 country act signed to major labels. I ...
- Jonathan Pappalardo: I would sign: 1) Trisha Yearwood - I don't believe she's affiliated with Big Machine Records anymore and a new CD ...
- Juli Thanki: Oh, good thinking with Hellbound Glory, Mike. Their music matured so much between Old Highs & New Lows and Damaged ...
- Mike Wimmer: 1. Jamey Johnson-I know he is technically with a label already, but they are in dispute over how he feels ...