Willie Nelson’s Heroes Drops May 15; Reba’s GAC Concert Special Premieres Tomorrow; Bluegrass Meets Big Band
Heroes, Willie Nelson’s first album for Legacy, will be released on May 15. Snoop Dogg, Lukas Nelson, Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Billy Joe Shaver, Jamey Johnson, and Micah Nelson all appear on the record. This week, Amazon offered albums by Lady Antebellum and others for 25 cents. Chet Flippo talks about the ramifications in his […]
Second Edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music Published; Boxcars Ready New Album; Evolution of the Outlaw
The second edition of the Encyclopedia of Country Music was published this week. In this piece penned by Jewly Hight for the Nashville Scene, Dierks Bentley reflects on his arrival in Nashville as a teenager: “I was so green. But I still moved here anyway, because I was so drawn to this town and country […]
The Ryman will soon get a new stage. Deana Carter launched a brand new website and gave a glimpse of her upcoming album: I have been writing SO much that it’s been hard to carve out time to get back in the studio for my own record, much less decide which songs to do! What […]
Here is the obituary Robert K. Oermann wrote for the late Charlie Collins, the guitarist and sideman who worked with Roy Acuff, Sam Bush, and others. Tim McGraw’s Emotional Traffic, his final Curb album, is streaming on NPR. NPR’s Weekend Edition aired a lovely feature on folk duo Red Heart the Ticker, whose latest album […]
Billie Jo Spears Passes Away; Hayes Carll Tops AMA Top 10; Faith Hill to Perform at People’s Choice Awards
Billie Jo Spears passed away yesterday from cancer at the age of 74. Peter Cooper’s newest Tennessean column is all about Bonaparte’s Retreat, Emmylou Harris’ worthwhile dog rescue organization. Speaking of Emmylou, her album, as well as those from Hayes Carll, John Hiatt, Alison Krauss & Union Station, and others, made the Americana Music Association’s […]
Tom Roady Passes Away; Police Searching for Mindy McCready and Son; CMA Songwriters Series Goes Overseas
Percussionist Tom Roady, who appeared on recordings by Emmylou Harris, Tom T. Hall, Brooks & Dunn, Wilson Pickett, and many more, passed away on Sunday from a heart attack. He was 62. Charlie Douglas, a member of the Country Music Disc Jockey Hall of Fame, passed away last Thursday at the age of 78. Actor […]
Taylor Swift took home the most hardware (again) last night at the American Music Awards. She won for Favorite Country Female Artist, Favorite Country Album and then took home the night’s biggest prize with the all-genre Favorite Artist. Blake Shelton was Favorite Country Male Artist and Lady Antebellum was Favorite Country Duo/Group. Danny Gokey lost […]
We’ll be live-blogging the CMA Awards starting at 8pm Eastern. Stop by if you can, and cross your fingers that the server holds up. (If it doesn’t, we’ll head over to Twitter—you don’t have to have a Twitter account to read our tweets.) Jim Lauderdale, Seth Avett, Hillary Scott, and others took home SESAC Nashville […]
CMA Awards Nominees Revealed; Tracy Lawrence and Faith Hill Unveil Football Songs; New Album Releases
Download lots of free music from this past weekend’s Muddy Roots Festival. Wanda Jackson is in there. So what are you waiting for? The nominees for this year’s CMA Awards were announced this morning. Jason Aldean, Brad Paisley, Taylor Swift, Keith Urban, and Blake Shelton are all vying for Entertainer of the Year, while The […]
Proving that he might be the only artist to have more posthumous recordings than Tupac, Johnny Cash has another new album forthcoming with unheard music on it. (Not that I’m complaining one bit.) From the press release: “Johnny Cash Bootleg III: LIVE Around the World is a collection of rare and unreleased live recordings it […]
- luckyoldsun: Dwight's had so many great songs. From memory, I'd have to name "Bakersfield" with Buck Owens, "Guitars, Cadillacs," "Nothing" and …
- Scooter: Thanks Jonathon. Downloaded "Last Chance for a thousand years" and love it. Was unaware of that album.
- Donald: The correct answer is of course, "Bury Me."
- Leeann Ward: As far as I know, I have all of Dwight's albums. It's truly impossible to choose a favorite song, but …
- Michael: I wonder if Kasey Chambers will be visiting Dr. Gwen Korovin for treatment of her vocal cords...
- Dave D.: Just about any song off of Dwight's first three albums would qualify as a favorite; forced to pick one I'd …
- Jack Williams: No. Not Owner of a Lonely Heart. I was hoping for better when I saw the article title …
- Russ Morris: My introduction to Dwight was This Time. Every song on that album is my favorite. I'm playing 3 Pears in …
- Jonathan Pappalardo: Favorite Dwight Yoakam song? Too darn tough to choose! I do love his second Greatest Hits album, though, featuring his …
- Ken Morton, Jr.: The inferiority complex of the CMA never ceases to amaze me.