Richie Havens, the artist who opened Woodstock, passed away yesterday from a sudden heart attack. He was 72. Here’s the New York Times obituary. Glen Campbell has stopped touring due to the progression of his Alzheimer’s. However, he will release an album this summer. See You There will feature “reimagined versions of hits like ‘Wichita Lineman,’ ‘By […]
2013 Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Dates Unveiled; Natalie Maines to Release Solo Record; New Music Videos
Natalie Maines of the Dixie Chicks will release a new album called Mother on May 7. The album is produced by Ben Harper. Andy Griggs and Bobby Pinson have written a song, called “20 Little Angels,” about the victims of the Newtown shooting tragedy. 100% of the proceeds from the sales of the song, including iTunes […]
Grammy Nominations Announced; New Videos from Don Williams, Hunter Hayes; Chelle Rose, The Mavericks Added to SXSW Roster
The Grammy nominees were announced last night. Taylor Swift and Mumford and Sons were nominated for Record of the Year and Album of the Year, respectively. You can read the entire list of nominations here. Best Country Solo Performance Dierks Bentley, “Home” Eric Church, “Springsteen” Ronnie Dunn, “Cost of Livin’” Hunter Hayes, “Wanted” Blake Shelton, […]
Rosa Lee Watson passed away on Thursday, six months after Doc, her husband of more than 60 years. Songwriter Frank Dycus, whose credits include “I Don’t Need Your Rockin’ Chair” and “Unwound,” passed away on Friday. He was 72. Walter Hensley, the “Banjo Baron of Baltimore,” passed away on Saturday at the age of 76. […]
Kathy Mattea – “Hello, My Name is Coal” Faith Hill – “American Heart” Wanda Jackson & Justin Townes Earle – “Am I Even a Memory” Joey + Rory – “Josephine” Dustin Lynch – “She Cranks My Tractor” Eli Young Band – “Say Goodnight” Aaron Lewis – “Forever” Thomas Rhett – “Beer with Jesus” Kelleigh Bannen – […]
Frank Peppiatt, co-creator of Hee Haw, passed away on Wednesday at the age of 85. The iconic WSM radio tower turns 80. The station is celebrating tomorrow with an open house at the tower. Chet Flippo’s new Nashville Skyline column is all about artists he thinks are deserving of Hall of Fame induction, including Ray […]
Shania Twain’s Come On Over is on UK music magazine NME’s list of the 30 best-selling albums of the last 30 years. Restoration of Johnny Cash’s boyhood home is underway. Download a new James Hand song here. If you missed Jamey Johnson and Alison Krauss singing “Make the World Go Away” on Letterman the other […]
Country Stars Remember Kitty Wells; New Little Big Town Album Due in September; Punch Brothers Announce New Tour Dates
Loretta Lynn, Barbara Mandrell, Dolly Parton, and Lee Ann Womack all made statements about Kitty Wells’ passing. Janis Martin’s final album, The Blanco Sessions, will be released on September 18. The album, produced by Rosie Flores and Bobby Trimble, was funded through Kickstarter. (via press release) Punch Brothers announced a bunch of new North American […]
Perry Baggs Passes Away; “Somethin’ ‘Bout a Truck” Goes Platinum, Video Premieres from Alejandro Escovedo, Chatham County Line
Perry Baggs, longtime drummer for Jason & The Scorchers (he left the band in 2003), passed away at the age of 50. Paste premiered videos from Alejandro Escovedo and Chatham County Line. Peter Cooper talks with Old Crow Medicine Show’s Ketch Secor for a Tennessean feature. The band’s new album, Carry Me Back, is due […]
People Magazine has a free playlist for you to download that includes music from The Band Perry, Scotty McCreery, Chris Young, Eli Young Band, Montgomery Gentry, Love and Theft, Brantley Gilbert, and Hunter Hayes. Taylor Swift is far-off cousins of Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Willie Nelson and Loretta Lynn according to Geni.com. Ellen DeGeneres and […]
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …