Jim Ed Brown Diagnosed with Lung Cancer; Glen Campbell Sued Over Documentary; Holly Williams Welcomes Daughter
Jim Ed Brown revealed in a video he posted on his Facebook page that he has been diagnosed with lung cancer. Doctors have asked him to take a four-month break from the road in order to focus on chemo and radiation treatments. (warning: autoplay) Glen Campbell’s getting sued over I’ll Be Me, the documentary about […]
I’ve always been of the opinion that listening to an audiobook is like eating a steak dinner that’s been put through a blender: it’ll keep you from starving, but the experience is nothing like the pleasure derived from sinking your teeth into a medium rare ribeye straight off the grill, or curling up with a […]
Hot Rize will release When I’m Free, their first studio album in 24 years, on September 30. Listen to one of their new songs, “Blue is Fallin’,” here. There’s a video interview with Rodney Crowell on Yahoo’s Ram Country. Paul Thorn is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Randy Lewis wrote a fine feature […]
Austin City Limits Hall of Fame to Induct Willie Nelson; Kasey Chambers Returns to the Studio; New Album Releases
Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughan are the inaugural inductees into the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame. Buddy Guy, Lyle Lovett, and more will perform at the induction ceremony on April 26. Kasey Chambers is back in the studio working on a solo album. Stream Martina McBride’s Everlasting and Left Lane Cruiser’s Slingshot. If […]
Another sign the country music apocalypse is descending upon us all: Aerosmith has been named as one of the 40 most influential acts that shaped the lives of today’s biggest country stars. Linda Martell, the first African-American woman to perform on the Grand Ole Opry stage, will have her 1970 vinyl album, Color Me Country, […]
Don Williams will release a new album, Reflections, on Sugar Hill Records March 11. It will include some songs written by Townes Van Zandt, Merle Haggard and Jesse Winchester. Jack Ingram has signed a new deal with Blaster Records and plans to release two albums this year. The meritorious C.M. Wilcox put up another Quotable […]
Drive-By Truckers Announce Tour Dates; Aldean Partners with MLB; Killer Blues Headstone Project Memorializes Musicians
Stream Mary Chapin Carpenter’s new orchestral album, Songs From the Movie. North Carolina governor Pat McCrory will help dedicate the Earl Scruggs Center at its grand opening on January 11. CMT Edge posted Austin Lucas’ new video for “Alone in Memphis.” Adam Sheets interviewed Jimbo Mathus about his plans for 2014, Charley Patton, and more. […]
Lost Johnny Cash Album Due Out in March; Earl Scruggs Center Readies for Grand Opening; Amos Lee Covers John Prine
A lost Johnny Cash album will be released on March 25. From the AP article: Out Among the Stars, an album he recorded with Billy Sherrill in the early 1980s that was never released by Columbia Records, then disappeared when the company dropped Cash in 1986. Turns out Cash and his wife, June Carter Cash, […]
Earl Scruggs Center Plans January Grand Opening; The Roys, Joey + Rory Win ICM Awards; Deadly Gentlemen Added to MerleFest Lineup
The Earl Scruggs Center’s grand opening is scheduled for January 11. You might want to check it out if you’re near Shelby, NC. To All the Girls, which sold 43,000 units in its first week, is Willie Nelson’s 46th Top 10 Country Album. (Dolly Parton is in second place, with 41 Top 10 Country Albums.) […]
Loretta Lynn didn’t let a broken rib keep her from singing. Lynn also told Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin that she’s interested in making another album with Jack White. The Earl Scruggs Center will open in Shelby, NC on January 11. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has secured $78 million in contributions as part […]
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...
- Jim Z: Dirty River Boys are from El Paso, Texas.