Hot Rize will release When I’m Free, their first studio album in 24 years, on September 30. Listen to one of their new songs, “Blue is Fallin’,” here. There’s a video interview with Rodney Crowell on Yahoo’s Ram Country. Paul Thorn is the American Songwriter Writer of the Week. Randy Lewis wrote a fine feature […]
Austin City Limits Hall of Fame to Induct Willie Nelson; Kasey Chambers Returns to the Studio; New Album Releases
Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughan are the inaugural inductees into the Austin City Limits Hall of Fame. Buddy Guy, Lyle Lovett, and more will perform at the induction ceremony on April 26. Kasey Chambers is back in the studio working on a solo album. Stream Martina McBride’s Everlasting and Left Lane Cruiser’s Slingshot. If […]
Another sign the country music apocalypse is descending upon us all: Aerosmith has been named as one of the 40 most influential acts that shaped the lives of today’s biggest country stars. Linda Martell, the first African-American woman to perform on the Grand Ole Opry stage, will have her 1970 vinyl album, Color Me Country, […]
Don Williams will release a new album, Reflections, on Sugar Hill Records March 11. It will include some songs written by Townes Van Zandt, Merle Haggard and Jesse Winchester. Jack Ingram has signed a new deal with Blaster Records and plans to release two albums this year. The meritorious C.M. Wilcox put up another Quotable […]
Drive-By Truckers Announce Tour Dates; Aldean Partners with MLB; Killer Blues Headstone Project Memorializes Musicians
Stream Mary Chapin Carpenter’s new orchestral album, Songs From the Movie. North Carolina governor Pat McCrory will help dedicate the Earl Scruggs Center at its grand opening on January 11. CMT Edge posted Austin Lucas’ new video for “Alone in Memphis.” Adam Sheets interviewed Jimbo Mathus about his plans for 2014, Charley Patton, and more. […]
Lost Johnny Cash Album Due Out in March; Earl Scruggs Center Readies for Grand Opening; Amos Lee Covers John Prine
A lost Johnny Cash album will be released on March 25. From the AP article: Out Among the Stars, an album he recorded with Billy Sherrill in the early 1980s that was never released by Columbia Records, then disappeared when the company dropped Cash in 1986. Turns out Cash and his wife, June Carter Cash, […]
Earl Scruggs Center Plans January Grand Opening; The Roys, Joey + Rory Win ICM Awards; Deadly Gentlemen Added to MerleFest Lineup
The Earl Scruggs Center’s grand opening is scheduled for January 11. You might want to check it out if you’re near Shelby, NC. To All the Girls, which sold 43,000 units in its first week, is Willie Nelson’s 46th Top 10 Country Album. (Dolly Parton is in second place, with 41 Top 10 Country Albums.) […]
Loretta Lynn didn’t let a broken rib keep her from singing. Lynn also told Billboard’s Chuck Dauphin that she’s interested in making another album with Jack White. The Earl Scruggs Center will open in Shelby, NC on January 11. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum has secured $78 million in contributions as part […]
One of bluegrass’ most beloved artists, Ricky Skaggs has lived a blessed life, playing with Bill Monroe (when Skaggs was only six years old), Ralph Stanley, J.D. Crowe and the New South, Emmylou Harris’ Hot Band, and starting his own short-lived band, Boone Creek, which featured a young Vince Gill. In 1982, he became a […]
Randy Travis Suffers Stroke, Undergoes Surgery; JD McPherson Plays Mountain Stage; New Tony Joe White Album Due in Sept.
Randy Travis’ health issues continue. The New York Times reports that Travis suffered a stroke (a “complication of his congestive heart failure”) and underwent surgery to relieve pressure in his brain. Allen Toussaint was one of the recipients of the National Medal of Arts last night in DC. Know “Deportee (Plane Wreck at Los Gatos)”? […]
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.
- Michael A.: Billboard also posted a pretty good piece on the new Trisha Yearwood album yesterday. Unfortunately, it sounds like only …
- Kathy Gaddis: Very very nice!