Rounder Signs Shelby Lynne; Ronnie Fauss, Over the Rhine Announce New Albums; Jean Redpath Passes Away
Rounder Records has signed Shelby Lynne. The label will release a 15th anniversary edition of I Am Shelby Lynne (with bonus tracks and a concert DVD) on October 7. Yesterday, USA Today premiered a clip from that concert film. Lynne also recently completed a new album that is tentatively set for a release in early […]
Dolly Parton has been writing a movie about her life and thinks Scarlett Johansson could play her. Parton’s “Jolene” is the American Songwriter Lyric of the Week. Our old The 9513 friend Stephen Deusner counted down 10 essential Dwight Yoakam songs for CMT Edge. In case you wondered if Garth Brooks still matters, he sold an estimated 180,000 […]
New Country Music Fest Comes to Vegas; CCMA Award Nominations Announced; Justin Townes Earle Covers “Glory Days”
Chuck Dauphin makes a case for Don Rich’s Hall of Fame induction. (h/t A.B.) Lucinda Williams’ forthcoming double album, Down Where the Spirit Meets the Bone will include a song called “Compassion” that’s an expansion of this poem of the same name written by her father, poet Miller Williams: Have compassion for everyone you meet, even […]
Blues guitarist Johnny Winter passed away yesterday in Zurich, four days after his last performance, which was at a music festival in Austria. He was 70 years old. Ralph Stanley, Carlene Carter, and Jim Lauderdale are among the artists who’ll play free concerts during The Birthplace of Country Music Museum’s opening weekend on August 2 […]
Tommy Ramone, the last surviving original member of The Ramones, passed away on July 11. In recent years, Ramone played in roots duo Uncle Monk. Warner Brothers has re-signed Dwight Yoakam, who’ll release a new album later in the year (one of the songs will be a cover of “Who’ll Stop the Rain”). He’s currently […]
Rosanne Cash Testifies Before Congress; RCA Studio A May be Sold; Larry Sparks Celebrates 50 Years in Music
Rosanne Cash is testifying on behalf of the Americana Music Association before the House Judiciary Committee today in support of artists’ rights. Here is a transcript of her testimony. The whole thing is worth a read, and the fact that 600,000 song streams on a music subscription site earned Cash only $114 is mind-boggling. Stream […]
Stream New Rodney Crowell, Bobby Bare Jr. Albums; Eric Church Announces Tour Dates; Walmart to Cut CD Stock
Stream Rodney Crowell’s fine new album, Tarpaper Sky, before its release next week. Bobby Bare Jr.’s record, Undefeated, is also streaming online. Last week we reported news of Arthur Smith’s passing. Today The New York Times published his obituary. Music City Roots is moving from the Loveless Café Barn to the Factory at Franklin. Trisha Yearwood’s […]
Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, Kathy Mattea, and Radney Foster were a few of the artists who helped celebrate Bob Kingsley and his 40 years in country radio. The University of Chicago Press is offering Bob Reisman’s I Feel So Good: The Life and Times of Big Bill Broonzy as a free e-book. The New York […]
On December 7, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will celebrate Buck Owens and The Buckaroos with a trio of special programs: a panel discussion (“The Buckaroos: Making Music with Buck Owens”), a book talk (about Buck ‘Em, Owens’ posthumous autobiography co-authored with Randy Poe), and a concert featuring Buddy Alan Owens, current […]
Prine Diagnosed with Lung Cancer; Ralph and Nathan Stanley Plan Gospel Release; Nicki Bluhm Plays Conan
John Prine was diagnosed with lung cancer. Doctors caught it early and Prine will undergo surgery next month (his mid-December shows in Louisville have been postponed). Ronnie Dunn’s got a new video for “Kiss You There.” The Infamous Stringdusters have a new video too. Here’s “Night on the River.” Ronnie Fauss released a video for […]
- Deremy Jylan: I heard that Jim Lauderdale documentary is some super-duper great movie stuff. Makes Scorsese's THE LAST WALTZ look like Wiseau's …
- Barry Mazor: I'll have to see if Dr. Green's ever read 3 Lives; it's a good book.
- Juli Thanki: Rose is a rose is a rose is a yellow rose of Texas. I smell a terrible concept album!
- Barry Mazor: Pigeons on the grass, alas.. Come-a kai-yai yippy, yippy ay.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Barry, thanks for the great sentimental look at Winchester. I will admit that he is an artist that was largely …
- Arlene: Thanks for this article, Barry. It's not often that an artist brings another performer to tears during a guitar pull. …
- Leeann: At any rate, I'll still look forward to his next album, because I'm a fan of his music.
- Leeann: Yes, if he had said that, I'd be with him, but e lumped all of country music, including the Grand …
- mrsandy: My understanding is Emmylou's concert was cancelled was because her 92-y.o. mother passed away.
- Erik North: I would have to say that, even though I agree that JTE does generalize about country music excessively, I also …