Fresh Water in the Salton Sea, Drew Kennedy’s new project, is something of a novel idea. Yes, it’s the Texas-based singer-songwriter’s fifth album, but it’s also the title of his first book, a travel narrative that follows fictional alt-country artist Dan Murphy as he tours the American West alone, playing shows, encountering off-kilter characters, drinking […]
The Mavericks Reunite; ACM Brings Back Songwriter of the Year Award; The Rise of Pentecostal Rural Tarts
The Mavericks (Raul Malo, Robert Reynolds, and Paul Deakin) will reunite in April 2012 at the Stagecoach Festival in California. Following Stagecoach, they plan to tour North America and Europe. “Waiting For a Train,” “Devil Woman,” and “Give It Away” all make Merle Haggard’s list of ten songs he wishes he’d written. Radley Balko of […]
People Magazine has a brand new country music edition on newsstands featuring Lady Antebellum. To celebrate the new edition, they’re giving away a free download featuring some big hitters including: Ronnie Dunn, Vince Gill, Billy Currington, Jake Owen, Terri Clark, Matraca Berg, JT Hodges, Bradley Gaskin, and Sonia Leigh. Drew Kennedy has a cool and […]
Dave Alvin Scores TV Gig; Randy Traywick’s (Travis) Publicity Photo; The Grascals Find Success with Cracker Barrel
Davin Alvin will make a guest appearance in, and wrote a new song for, the second season of the FX channel’s crime-drama series Justified. My pal Kelly Dearmore digs the new Hayes Carll record, KMAG YOYO (& Other American Stories), even if it doesn’t exactly make him forget about its predecessor. [...] this is the […]
Hot Club of Cowtown plans to pay tribute to the music of Bob Wills with a new album, due out Feb. 1, titled What Makes Bob Holler. The Washington Post‘s Chris Richards profiled Merle Haggard. (via CMT) Elizabeth Cook, Taylor Swift, and Jamey Johnson got nods from Rolling Stone in its list for the best […]
Garth Brooks Sells Out Nine Shows; CMA Entertainer Category Causes Confusion; Stream New Bruce Robison/Kelly Willis Song
When tickets for Garth Brooks flood benefit concert went on sale Saturday, they went quick. So quick, in fact, that show after show was added until virtually nine shows were sold out in three hours, raising more than $3.5 million. The presence of Miranda Lambert, Lady Antebellum, and Zac Brown Band in the CMA Awards […]
The fourth Love & War Lifetime Achievement Award — nicknamed the ‘Rusty’ in honor of its first recipient, Texas music legend Rusty Wier — will be given to Billy Joe Shaver on Nov. 17. Actress Gwyneth Paltrow is scheduled to perform “Country Strong,” the title song from her upcoming movie, at next month’s CMA Awards. […]
Winners at last night’s Americana Honors & Awards show were: Album of the Year: The List – Rosanne Cash Artist of the Year: Ryan Bingham Duo/Group of the Year: The Avett Brothers Instrumentalist of the Year: Buddy Miller New & Emerging Artist: Hayes Carll Song of the Year: “The Weary Kind (Theme From Crazy Heart)” […]
Miranda Lambert and friends Kellie Pickler, Laura Bell Bundy, and Hillary Scott take on their alter egos in her new video for “Only Prettier.” Tanya Tucker filed a lawsuit against Nashville producer Gregg A. Brown for more than $170,000. The lawsuit claims that Brown kept seven master recordings and 29 video recordings that belong to […]
Gwyneth Paltrow to Release Country Single; Josh Turner Expecting Child No. 3; Carrie Underwood’s 13 No. 1s
Actress Gwyneth Paltrow plans to release a new single titled “Country Strong” to radio come late August. The single, featuring background vocals from Vince Gill and Patty Griffin, is being released in conjunction with her new movie of the same name in which she plays a washed-up country singer. The film itself, starring Tim McGraw […]
- Leeann Ward: Sheesh, Paul, that's a random/strange dig!
- Jack Williams: After reading that New Yorker article, I canceled my pre-order of the Basement Tapes box set. I love Bob …
- Leeann Ward: Wow! How terrible for Dixie Hall and Tom.
- Ken Morton, Jr.: Another twisted collection of songs to put into the Friday Five Hall of Fame, Juli.
- Arlene: I'd have included "Omie Wise." Doc Watson's is the version I'm familiar with but I think it's been recorded by …
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …