Jerry Douglas Announces Flatt & Scruggs Tribute Album; SiriusXM Launches Y2Kountry; New Music Videos
Ali Lohan, younger sister of Lindsay, is reportedly getting ready to launch a country music career. The internet was abuzz over Tim McGraw’s intentional/unintentional swipe/slap of a fan that got a little too grabby at one of his concerts. JD Crowe, Doyle Lawson and Paul Williams will release Standing Tall and Tough on Mountain Home […]
Soul singer Bobby Womack passed away on Friday. He was 70 years old. On October 28, Jerry Lee Lewis will release Rock & Roll Time. Here’s the title track. The biography Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story, penned by Pulitzer-winning writer Rick Bragg, will be released on the same date. Developer Tim Reynolds, whose company may buy the building […]
A&E Picks Up Country Music Reality Show; New Buck Owens Compilation and Book Due in November; HoF to Open Terri Clark Exhibit
Out November 5 on Omnivore Recordings: Buck ‘Em! The Music of Buck Owens (1955-1967). The two-disc collection will be released as a companion to Buck ’Em! The Autobiography of Buck Owens by Buck Owens with Randy Poe. A&E has picked up the reality series Crazy Hearts: Nashville. A premiere date has not been determined; however, the show “will […]
Stream Guy Clark’s My Favorite Picture of You; Canadian Country Music Awards Nominees Announced; New Tim O’Brien & Darrell Scott Album Due in Sept.
Dean Brody, Terri Clark, and Johnny Reid are among this year’s Canadian Country Music Awards nominees. Check out the full list here. Stream Guy Clark’s fantastic new album, My Favorite Picture of You, on The Wall Street Journal Speakeasy blog. Tim O’Brien and Darrell Scott’s next album, Memories & Moments, will be released September 17 […]
George Strait Nets 86th Top 10 Song; Wide Open Bluegrass Lineup Announced; New Trampled By Turtles Video
“Give It All We Got Tonight” is George Strait’s 86th Top 10. Eddy Arnold’s the only one who’s got him beat, with 92 Top 10s. All Things Considered aired an excellent piece on the inspiration behind Lee Brice’s chart-topping single, “I Drive Your Truck.” Two years ago on Memorial Day, Nashville songwriter Connie Harrington was driving […]
Library of Congress Reveals National Recording Preservation Plan; Music City Roots Adds Affiliates; Free Vandaveer, Milk Carton Kids Downloads
Doyle Lawson wants to be your valentine. Here he is playing “Love Me Tender” with his band, Quicksilver. Jamey Johnson did a lengthy and revealing Rolling Stone interview. An excerpt: “I wish I could tell you that I am writing. I’m not. I wish I could tell you I’m gonna go home next week and record […]
IBMA Award Winners Announced; Reba Won’t Return to Host 2013 ACM Awards; Mumford and Sons on Pace for 2012′s Biggest Debut Week
The IBMA Awards were held yesterday. Congratulations to the winners: Bluegrass Hall of Fame Inductees: Doyle Lawson, Ralph Rinzler Distinguished Achievement Award Recipients: Byron Berline, Joe & Lil Cornett, Orin Friesen, Pee Wee Lambert, Kitsy Kuykendall Entertainer of the Year: The Gibson Brothers Vocal Group of the Year: Blue Highway Instrumental Group of the Year: […]
Americana Music Award Winners Announced; Bearfoot Undergoes Lineup Changes; Stream New Dwight Yoakam Song
Here are the winners of last night’s Americana Music Awards and Honors: Instrumentalist of the Year: Dave Rawlings Album of the Year: This One’s For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark; produced by Tamara Saviano and Shawn Camp Song Of The Year Award : “Alabama Pines;” Written by Jason Isbell and performed by Jason Isbell […]
CMT launched a roots blog called CMT Edge. Give a listen to “It’s Never Alright” from Dwight Yoakam’s new album, 3 Pears. The song was co-written with Ashley Monroe, and is the first of five new Yoakam songs that will debut this week. The late Donna Hilley will be honored with the 2012 Frances Williams […]
IBMA Award Nominees Announced; Ashton Shepherd and MCA Nashville Part Ways; Trampled By Turtles Cover Springsteen
IBMA Award nominations were announced last night. The entire list of nominees, along with the names of two new Hall of Fame inductees (Ralph Rinzler and Doyle Lawson) can be found here. It appears that Ashton Shepherd and MCA Nashville have parted ways. The JaneDear Girls have split. Barry Mazor wrote about The Mountain Music […]
- luckyoldsun: That Bobby Bare/Bill Parsons story has been often told, but I still don't quite understand how two then-nobodies could go …
- Leeann: The Jack Clement album is quite good!
- Donald: "Ryan Adams announced .... the August 19 release of “1984,'" Which, I'm told, is the fifteen years later update of his …
- Lynchie from Aberdeen: Delighted to hear that Hot Rize have a new album coming out – and thanks for the link to that …
- luckyoldsun: Nobody can do Karaoke George Jones like Kershaw!
- Bruce: LW, Don't apologize for your Bryant comment. You were more gracious than I would have been.
- Bruce: My vote is for Marty Stuart for his exhaustive body of work that is directional yet diversified.
- Leeann: Dang! Let me write my above sentence again!: Kelley MicKwee’s album is sounding good so far too. I really like “Beautiful …
- paul w dennis: The Kershaw album is really noteworthy for its song selections. Other than "I'll Share My World With You", it omits …
- Leeann: The Sammy Kershaw tribute to George Jones is pretty good on first listen. Of course, Sammy's no George, but their …