Back when I was researching and writing my book Meeting Jimmie Rodgers, at least one friend misheard what I was doing and thought I was dedicating years of work to Kenny Rogers. There were a lot of polite, puzzled “Is that so’s” and ‘How ’bout that’s.” These two artists strike so many people as so very different that they […]
Dirt Drifters Cancel All Upcoming Appearances; Chatham County Line Plans Live Album Release; Jewel to Play June Carter Cash in Lifetime Movie
The Ryman’s chief audio engineer, Les Banks, talks about the room’s sound with Mix Magazine: “There are so many reflective surfaces, and the biggest challenge is the absolutely phenomenal difference between the empty Ryman at soundcheck and a full house that night. It’s night-and-day different; to this day I get freaked out by how loud […]
New Josh Turner Album Due June 12; Kathleen Edwards Cancels Shows Due to Vocal Strain; HoF Extends Chet Atkins Exhibit
Josh Turner’s new album, Punching Bag, is scheduled for a June 12 release. Kathleen Edwards had to postpone the rest of her North American tour due to “symptoms of vocal strain and burnout.” Chet Flippo on Willie Nelson’s new record, Heroes: Maybe his songwriting pen isn’t as frenetic as it once was, but he still […]
When it comes to Ireland’s national treasures, The Chieftains have to rank right up there with the Blarney Stone and the Guinness brewery in Dublin. There’s nothing wrong with the contemporary acts that have blended Irish music with rock (Flogging Molly, Dropkick Murphys) or New Age easy listening (Enya) – for the most part, at […]
New Album From Don Williams Out 6/19; ACM Off-Camera Award Winners Announced; Carolina Chocolate Drops at Library of Congress
And So It Goes, a new album from Don Williams, will be released on Sugar Hill Records June 19. Vince Gill, Alison Krauss, and Keith Urban guest on the record. Listen to a track here. This year’s ACM off-camera award winners include Emmylou Harris, Dwight Yoakam, Billy Sherrill, Roger Miller, and more. Check out the […]
Vince Gill Leaves MCA; Don Williams Plans New Album; Chet Flippo Discusses Social Commentary and Country Music
Vince Gill is leaving MCA after 23 years. If you’ve got an hour to spare and are interested in music and copyright law, check out this lecture from UCLA ethnomusicology professor Anthony Seeger, who “looks at the opposing positions of ‘Don’t pirate my music’ and ‘Knowledge wants to be free’ to discuss the more general […]
Frank Liddell to Produce Lee Ann Womack’s New Record; Whitey Morgan & The 78s to Record Live Album; New Releases
Lee Ann Womack’s husband, Frank Liddell, will produce her new album, which will be released some time in 2012. The newest Quotable Country features Mac McAnally, Caitlin Rose, Jimmy Wayne, and more. Barry Mazor had a talk with Guy Clark and Verlon Thompson for a feature in the Wall Street Journal. Speaking of Clark, he’s […]
Don Williams to Receive ASCAP Golden Note Award; National Museum of African American Music Planned; New Album Releases
Today is Bill Monroe’s 100th birthday. Give a listen to a Monroe-inspired mix. The National Museum of African American Music will be constructed in Nashville and is tentatively scheduled to open in 2013. George Jones and Elizabeth Cook contributed their voices to the newest season of Squidbillies, which began on Sunday. Go read the newest […]
Lady Antebellum Leads Grammy Winners; Brandon Rhyder Covers Don Williams; The Infamous Stringdusters Live Session
With five wins, Lady Antebellum came out on top at last night’s Grammys. Other winners in the countryish categories included: Diamond Rio (southern, country or bluegrass gospel album), Patty Griffin (traditional gospel album), Patty Loveless (bluegrass album), Keith Urban (best male country vocal performance), Zac Brown Band/Alan Jackson (country collaboration with vocals), Marty Stuart (country […]
Todd Snider Keeps It Fresh; Carolina Chocolate Drops Lineup Changes; Jim Lauderdale Acoustic Session
Todd Snider on keeping his setlist fresh: So, when I get to a show, in the dressing room sitting right in front of me next to my free wine is the last three setlists from the time I was in, say, Atlanta. So, first I’ll look and see, “Well, what did I do last time?” […]
- Leeann: Wow! I love that Holly William's cover of "No Surrender"! She's gotten to be so good.
- luckyoldsun: I made it through a minute of that "Girl In a Country Song Video." Man, that sucks.
- lindsay thomas: Wife and I saw these guys last Thursday night, (7-24-14) at the Ryman in Nashville. What a show. …
- Donald: I'm guessing that is meant to read 're-release' Detroit to Wheeling, as the double album originally appeared on Pinecastle in …
- Michael A.: Has anyone else had a difficult time trying to get the free download from the Reba site?
- Dave D.: I can't believe that I never saw the Willie Nelson Monk episode - and it was a Sharona episode, as …
- nm: Taylor Swift was on CSI once. Not only was Steve Earle on The Wire, in one episode Omar quoted him about …
- Barry Mazor: It's only a slight stretch to recall when Jimmy Dean met James Bond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbwDGtj84YY
- Arlene: I suspect you'll also be including an episode of L.A. Law....
- luckyoldsun: The Johnny Cash episode was the one Columbo case where you really felt "the b--- had it coming."