Stream Dave & Phil Alvin’s Big Bill Broonzy Tribute; CMHOF to Salute “Nashville Cat” Steve Gibson; Elizabeth Cook Returns to Letterman
The New Yorker is streaming Dave and Phil Alvin’s salute to Big Bill Broonzy, Common Ground, which comes out next week on Yep Roc. Here’s a photo gallery of Waylon Jennings taping a show at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in 1984. Esquire premiered Dom Flemons’ “But They Got It Fixed Right On,” a track […]
Download a Chatham County Line sampler on NoiseTrade. Here’s “Should Have Known” from the quartet’s upcoming album, Tightrope. On April 26, Nancy Jones, George’s widow, will plant two dogwood trees at the Possum’s Woodlawn Cemetery gravesite. The event is open to the public. Dom Flemons will release a solo album called Prospect Hill on July 22. (via press […]
Loretta Lynn Receives Medal of Freedom; Dave Adkins, Edgar Loudermilk Join Forces; Sturgill Simpson Sampler Available for Download
Loretta Lynn was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House yesterday. Watch the video here. There’s a four-song Sturgill Simpson sampler available for download on NoiseTrade. Scott H. Biram’s next album, Nothin’ But Blood, will be released February 4 on Bloodshot Records. Listen to Biram’s new single, “When I Die.” Dave […]
Music publisher Bob Beckham passed away yesterday at the age of 86. Among his many accomplishments: discovering Tony Joe White and receiving the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame’s first Mentor Award. Garth Brooks will release a four-disc box set of cover songs next Tuesday. Blame It All on My Roots: Five Decades of Influences will […]
Reserve Records to Reissue George Jones’ Debut LP; Stream Lindi Ortega’s Tin Star; Filmmaker Raises Funds for Prisonaires Documentary
Stream Lindi Ortega’s new record, Tin Star, before its October 8 release date. Keith Urban presented a $300,000 check to The Navy SEAL Foundation. Chrissie Dickinson of The Chicago Tribune wrote a feature on Brennen Leigh and Noel McKay. On October 15, Reserve Records will reissue George Jones’ 1957 debut LP, Grand Ole Opry’s New Star. Preview it […]
Opening Friday: the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s new spotlight exhibit, Dottie West: Country Sunshine. It’ll run through May 2, 2013. The Civil Wars have canceled their tour dates. An excerpt from the statement posted on their Facebook page: “Due to internal discord and irreconcilable differences of ambition we are unable to continue […]
Airing November 10-16 (check local listings) on PBS: Austin City Limits Presents: Americana Music Festival 2012. The list of performances looks pretty darn good. Give a listen to rockabilly artist JD McPherson’s recent Philadelphia show. Geoffrey Clarfield of The Brooklyn Rail wrote a feature on Dom Flemons (Carolina Chocolate Drops) and the return of the […]
“Love for Levon” Benefit Concert Planned; Loretta Lynn Works on New Music; The Real Cost of Free Downloads
Singer-songwriter Heather Roberts is missing. She was last seen in the Dallas area. Loretta Lynn talks about the new music she’s been working on: Well, I’ve got 60-something things cut already. I’ve got a Christmas album, two religious albums. I’m gonna put ‘em out and get ‘em on the radio. Coming to the East […]
The legendary Kitty Wells passed away yesterday at the age of 92. These lengthy obituaries from the Washington Post, New York Times, Tennessean, MusicRow, NPR, and CMT.com are all worth reading. Bassist Bob Babbitt, who played on classics like Gladys Knight & The Pips’ “Midnight Train to Georgia” and appeared on albums by Frank Sinatra, Elton […]
Second Round of ACM Awards Performers Announced; Della Mae Selected for State Department’s American Music Abroad; Album Releases
Pam Tillis was a guest judge on RuPaul’s Drag Race last night. The full episode, called “Dragazines,” can be streamed here. Darrell Scott considers “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry,” “To Live’s to Fly,” and “Sunday Morning Coming Down” to be “perfect songs.” Here’s a feature on Echo Mountain, the Asheville, North Carolina recording studio […]
- Jack Williams: I'm a little surprised to hear of Shelby Lynne signing with another label, even if it is Rounder. She …
- A.B.: THREE new albums from Sturgill next year?! I'm excited for that!
- Keith Samuels: I can't wait to listen to the entire recording. What a treasure.
- numberonecountryfan: She did say the version of “How Do I Live” is the “country” version which was previously released to radio …
- bll: I'm happy for any new music from Trisha. I hope MCA doesn't decide to repackage her old stuff and release …
- Barry Mazor: I know for a fact that most of the album was recorded fresh and new with Garth Fundis some months …
- luckyoldsun: Michael, From the way it's being promoted, with Yearwood announcing a new label and a new album and with The Tennessean …
- Linda Salmons: Whoaa!!!! Makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Beautiful tone and nuance - unmistakably Auldridge.
- Michael A.: Billboard also posted a pretty good piece on the new Trisha Yearwood album yesterday. Unfortunately, it sounds like only …
- Kathy Gaddis: Very very nice!