Country Stars Revisit the Bristol Sessions; Pokey LaFarge Announces Tour; HoF & Music City Roots to Celebrate Night Train to Nashville Anniversary
Justin Townes Earle will release Single Mothers on Vagrant Records September 9. (via press release) Hot Rize has a new album and fall tour in the works. The Country Music Hall of Fame and Music City Roots are teaming up for a concert (scheduled for July 30) celebrating the tenth anniversary of Night Train to […]
Barry Mazor wrote a feature on Mary Gauthier for The Wall Street Journal. Kelley Mickwee (The Trishas) will release a solo album, You Used to Live Here, on July 22. Listen to one of the tracks, “River Girl,” here. Take a sneak peek at Kacey Musgraves and Katy Perry’s Crossroads episode, which premieres on CMT […]
Lee Ann Womack to Sing at Maya Angelou’s Funeral; Alan Jackson Plans 25th Anniversary Tour; Nobel Prize Nominee Writes Country Songs
Last night’s CMT Music Awards winners: Group Video of the Year: The Band Perry – “Done” Breakthrough Video of the Year: Cassadee Pope – “Wasting All These Tears” Male Video of the Year: Blake Shelton – “Doin’ What She Likes” CMT Performance of the Year: Luke Bryan and Lionel Richie – “Oh No/All Night Long” Collaborative Video […]
Steel guitar great Weldon Myrick passed away. As of 7 a.m., no obituaries have been published online, but we’ll keep you posted; ’til then, listen to one of the many classics he played on. (via Barry Mazor) Ryan Adams tackled The Pointer Sisters’ “Neutron Dance.” Watch here. Remember how Ralph Stanley was going to retire? […]
Stream Dave & Phil Alvin’s Big Bill Broonzy Tribute; CMHOF to Salute “Nashville Cat” Steve Gibson; Elizabeth Cook Returns to Letterman
The New Yorker is streaming Dave and Phil Alvin’s salute to Big Bill Broonzy, Common Ground, which comes out next week on Yep Roc. Here’s a photo gallery of Waylon Jennings taping a show at the Tennessee Performing Arts Center in 1984. Esquire premiered Dom Flemons’ “But They Got It Fixed Right On,” a track […]
Download a Chatham County Line sampler on NoiseTrade. Here’s “Should Have Known” from the quartet’s upcoming album, Tightrope. On April 26, Nancy Jones, George’s widow, will plant two dogwood trees at the Possum’s Woodlawn Cemetery gravesite. The event is open to the public. Dom Flemons will release a solo album called Prospect Hill on July 22. (via press […]
Loretta Lynn Receives Medal of Freedom; Dave Adkins, Edgar Loudermilk Join Forces; Sturgill Simpson Sampler Available for Download
Loretta Lynn was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom at the White House yesterday. Watch the video here. There’s a four-song Sturgill Simpson sampler available for download on NoiseTrade. Scott H. Biram’s next album, Nothin’ But Blood, will be released February 4 on Bloodshot Records. Listen to Biram’s new single, “When I Die.” Dave […]
Music publisher Bob Beckham passed away yesterday at the age of 86. Among his many accomplishments: discovering Tony Joe White and receiving the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame’s first Mentor Award. Garth Brooks will release a four-disc box set of cover songs next Tuesday. Blame It All on My Roots: Five Decades of Influences will […]
Reserve Records to Reissue George Jones’ Debut LP; Stream Lindi Ortega’s Tin Star; Filmmaker Raises Funds for Prisonaires Documentary
Stream Lindi Ortega’s new record, Tin Star, before its October 8 release date. Keith Urban presented a $300,000 check to The Navy SEAL Foundation. Chrissie Dickinson of The Chicago Tribune wrote a feature on Brennen Leigh and Noel McKay. On October 15, Reserve Records will reissue George Jones’ 1957 debut LP, Grand Ole Opry’s New Star. Preview it […]
Opening Friday: the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum’s new spotlight exhibit, Dottie West: Country Sunshine. It’ll run through May 2, 2013. The Civil Wars have canceled their tour dates. An excerpt from the statement posted on their Facebook page: “Due to internal discord and irreconcilable differences of ambition we are unable to continue […]
- luckyoldsun: Jim Z-- I get the feeling Barry was this close to calling you what Kinky Friedman called his guy from El …
- Leeann Ward: Thanks, NM. I like a good pop hook, to be honest. So, maybe I need to try it again.
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim Z. That changes everything. I surrender.
- Jim Z: to call the Dirty River Boys an "Austin area band" is still incorrect. They are based in El Paso.
- nm: Leeann, you and I often have similar tastes in more-traditional country. And, to my ears, Sam Hunt's voice and lyrics …
- Barry Mazor: Matter of fact, as always--I did. The notes say the album was recorded & mixed by and at "The …
- Roger: Looking forward to picking up the Jamey Johnson Christmas EP - love all of those songs and can't wait for …
- Jim Z: that record was recorded in El Paso. (you could look it up) and other than appearing in Austin once in …
- Leeann Ward: Yes, I can always use more dobro in my life! Thanks for the Phil Leadbetter tip! I haven't been able to …
- Barry Mazor: OK, Jim. The record's more or less out of Austin. But I'm sure they're also good in El Paso...