Everyone’s doing the ALS ice bucket challenge, but Dolly Parton’s is the best. Don’t forget to set your DVRs for George Strait’s concert special on CMT this evening. Little Richard was in a car accident in Murfreesboro on Monday when an SUV he was riding in was hit by another car. Both vehicles sustained major damage, but […]
Ranger Doug reads more than you, is bored to tears by Gertrude Stein. Little Big Town unveiled the cover of their next album and announced several dates on their “Pain Killer Tour.” Read the introduction to Steve Lowenthal’s Dance of Death, a biography of John Fahey. Jason Isbell, Rodney Crowell, Valerie June, St. Paul & The Broken […]
George Strait will release a live album, The Cowboy Rides Away: Live from AT&T Stadium, on September 16. On August 29, CMT will air a two-hour special that was shot at that concert. John Fullbright will be on Letterman August 28. Angaleena Presley, the new American Songwriter Writer of the Week, talks about her new […]
Loretta Lynn Fights House Fire (She’s Okay); The Mavericks Celebrate 25 Years with Spring Tour; Stream New Drive-By Truckers Album
There was a small fire at Loretta Lynn’s house yesterday when a lit candle fell onto a chair. Lynn sustained minor burns on her hands while using a pillow to put out the flames. Franny Beecher, guitarist for Bill Haley & His Comets, passed away on Monday at the age of 92. The Mavericks are […]
Stream A.J. Croce, Scott H. Biram Albums; CMA Foundation Donates $1 Million for Music Education; Deadly Gentlemen Release New Video
Stream A.J. Croce’s 12 Tales, out next Tuesday on Compass Records. Scott H. Biram’s new record, Nothin’ But Blood, is streaming at The A.V. Club. Blake Shelton will perform at a benefit concert for injured veterans on Friday in New York. The event will stream online at Pepsi.com. Jason Isbell played a few for Relix. […]
Vikki Sallee Passes Away; Valerie June Plays Leno; Josh Abbott Band Releases “She Will Be Free” Trailer
Singer-songwriter Vikki Sallee Dillard passed away at the age of 72. An excerpt from her obituary, written by Robert K. Oermann: Vikki Sallee began her singing career over KWHN radio in Ft. Smith, Ark. As a teen, she performed with Bob Luman and Wanda Jackson. Jackson became her mentor, and Sallee sang with the Rock […]
Randy Travis Discharged from Hospital; “Lost” Patty Griffin Album Due in October; Stream Cale Tyson, Amanda Shires Records
Randy Travis was discharged from Baylor Heart Hospital yesterday and relocated to a physical therapy facility to continue his recovery. (via press release) Patty Griffin’s 2000 “lost album,” Silver Bell, will be released October 8. From American Songwriter: “The all-original songs spent about 13 years in catalog limbo, due in large part to a change […]
Today we’re thinking of our friends in Oklahoma who’ve been affected by the tornado. Here are a few ways you can help. (h/t Farce the Music) George Strait made a brief video thanking the fans for helping him achieve his “Sixty for Sixty” goal. He’s got the most #1s in music history; you can listen […]
It’s hard to pinpoint the most tantalizing, fulfilling payoff from the Pistol Annies’ 2011 debut, Hell on Heels, when the trio burst into the scene with an exciting whoosh of honesty. Sure, there was the vindication of some long-awaited attention for songwriting darlings Ashley Monroe and Angaleena Presley, and the rush of that rare alignment of […]
Vince Gill to Receive Frances William Preston Lifetime Music Achievement Award; Stream Kacey Musgraves’ Same Trailer Different Park; New Music Videos
A march on the CMA offices to protest the elimination of traditional country music from their objectives is being planned for April 17 and a petition is being circulated “to accomplish two things for the worldwide fans of traditional American country music. One to encourage record companies, producers, and recording artists to actually record more […]
- luckyoldsun: I think the number one country murder ballad is "Frankie and Johnny"--by Jimmie. Also, how about "Delia's Gone" from Harry Belafonte …
- Juli Thanki: Colloquial use of "fantastic" as a synonym for "excellent" dates back to the 1930s. And if it's good enough for …
- Paul W Dennis: I think "Banks of The Ohio", "Miller's Cave" and "It's Nothing to Me" are far creepier than several of the …
- Paul W Dennis: The Hight article is interesting, although I don't know that I would describe it as fantastic, but then I know …
- Dana M: I'm actually excited to hear a new Reba album. As for the Alan Jackson tour, I hope he announces Canadian …
- nm: Agreed. A good job by three very smart women.
- Deremy Jylan: The Hight piece is tremendous reading.
- Juli Thanki: Much like the music of Aldean and FGL, Michelob Ultra is favored by college kids and too much exposure will …
- Tom: ...michelob ultra seems to be a brew from hell.
- luckyoldsun: Maybe he was just changing out of his hunting clothes. At least he didn't do the full Randy...um Monty.