Today we’re thinking of our friends in Oklahoma who’ve been affected by the tornado. Here are a few ways you can help. (h/t Farce the Music) George Strait made a brief video thanking the fans for helping him achieve his “Sixty for Sixty” goal. He’s got the most #1s in music history; you can listen [...]
Ray Price Hospitalized for Severe Dehydration; New Dierks Bentley Record Due in Fall; Album Releases
Ray Price was hospitalized for severe dehydration. But, as he posted on his Facebook page, he’s receiving fluids and feeling better. Dierks Bentley’s next album, Riser, will be released this fall. Stream You Don’t Know Me: Rediscovering Eddy Arnold, a new tribute record featuring Pokey LaFarge, Mandy Barnett, Chuck Mead, and more. Lee Ann Womack, [...]
Sunny Sweeney Signs with Thirty Tigers; ABC Cancels Malibu Country, Renews Nashville; New Music Videos
Sunny Sweeney has gotten a new record deal with Thirty Tigers after parting ways with Big Machine/Republic Nashville Records last year. (via press release) Hunter Hayes, Pistol Annies, Little Big Town, Luke Bryan, and Taylor Swift will perform at the CMT Awards on June 5. Reba McEntire’s Malibu County television series was canceled by ABC. [...]
Tim Hensley Passes Away; Kenny Chesney Starts Fund to Aid Boston Bombing Victims; Dailey & Vincent Cover The Louvin Brothers
Tim Hensley passed away yesterday from liver failure. The 50-year old multi-instrumentalist was in Kenny Chesney’s band for 11 years and Patty Loveless’ band for ten. He released one solo album, Long Monday, in 2008. Alan Jackson, Patty Loveless, Vince Gill, The Oak Ridge Boys, and Tanya Tucker are a few of the musicians who [...]
Stream Steve Martin & Edie Brickell’s New Album; “Accidental Racist” Spoofed on Saturday Night Live; New Music Videos
Matt Bjorke gives high praise to Chuck Wicks’ new EP, Rough: “It’s a powerful vocal showcase and once again showcases an artist that can sing circles around other artists currently on the charts. In many places Chuck reminds me of a younger Billy Dean as he’s a man who can sing passionate ballads with such ease and [...]
HOF Inductees Announced; Buzz Around “Accidental Racist” Continues; Punch Brothers Documentarian Launches Kickstarter Campaign
The new Hall of Fame inductees were announced this morning: Kenny Rogers (Modern Era), Bobby Bare (Veterans Era), and Cowboy Jack Clement (Non-Performer category). The DelFest daily schedule was announced. On May 10, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will unveil a spotlight exhibit dedicated to Lee Greenwood. Lee Greenwood: American Patriot will run through April 25, [...]
Stream New Music From Patty Griffin, Willie Nelson; Don Rigsby to Release Ralph Stanley Tribute Album in May; Album Releases
Stream “Ohio,” a song from Patty Griffin’s American Kid (out 5/7), here. Rolling Stone posted the title track of Willie Nelson’s upcoming album of standards, Let’s Face the Music and Dance. Hellbound Glory played “Lost Cause” for CMT Edge. Stream David Mayfield Parade’s new record at American Songwriter. Good Man Down, which includes guests Doyle [...]
Jack Greene passed away yesterday at the age of 83. Hilary Williams released a new EP. Mary Chapin Carpenter’s single “He Thinks He’ll Keep Her” was the subject of a “Hear This” A.V. Club post. An excerpt: The genius of the song, though, is that Carpenter doesn’t end in [a] moment of forced girl power. [...]
Ryan Adams to Release New Album in Fall; “Honor Thy Song” Concert to Remember Songwriter Tim Johnson; Taylor Swift Named RIAA’s Top-Selling Digital Singles Artist
Ryan Adams will release a new album in the fall. Steve Chandler is working with Merle Haggard and Mac Wiseman and mixing a “country-bluegrass” record. Donna Ulisse wants you in her next video. On May 7, the Ryman will host “Honor Thy Song,” an event to celebrate the late songwriter Tim Johnson. Joey + Rory, [...]
Claude King Passes Away; Patty Griffin’s Next Album Due in May; USA Today Premieres New Kim Richey Song
Claude King, best known for “Wolverton Mountain,” passed away yesterday morning at the age of 90. Japanese bluegrasser Maro Kawabata passed away earlier this week at the age of 51. Patty Griffin will release her next record, American Kid, on May 7. It’ll be her first album for New West Records. What’s new at the [...]
- Matt: Wow! Great topic! Just by typing Dylan in my itunes then sorting by most plays.... 1. "Maggie's Farm" - Stephen Malkmus ...
- bll: I'm happy to hear that Ronnie Dunn and Garth are going to do something together; they go way back, and ...
- Luckyoldsun: Jon, I think you should try re-watching the Conan video--you "missed" it the first time. If I may give my interpretation, ...
- BRUCE: Toby's generosity and philanthropic work is very expansive. His USO tours plus other works deserves praise, though I an sure ...
- Luckyoldsun: Arlene, That's another big one.
- Fervor Coulee: Sometimes I really think I live in a Stephen King bubble-town: 12 weeks at number one, and I've never heard ...
- bll: Nice roundup today, Trisha singing and Jen Chapin too!
- Paul W Dennis: I guess my favorite would be George Hamilton IV's version of "Forever Young" and The Byrd's cover of Mr. Tambourine ...
- Jack Williams: Speaking of Chris Smither, he did a nice version of Visions of Johanna. Other favorites: Neville Brothers - The Ballad of Hollis ...
- Leeann Ward: I think benefit concerts and telethons are great and needed, but I'm also impressed by Underwood's generous donation.